It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I travelling backwards or forewards through time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I've been wondering for a while, how can we be sure that all this has not already happened and right now the universe is re-winding backwards through time? How could you ever know?
As you passed backwards through each moment your memories of that which came before (or after depending on your perspective here) would be erased and only that which existed in your mind at the current moment would remain, leading you to believe that you were still moving forward through time when in fact you have already been forward beyond that point and are now returning back past it through the original moment where you thought you were moving forward through time and were initially correct.
Maybe as the Universe expands and contracts this is exactly what happens. Maybe when you die you do lose all sense of awareness or self until eventually the universe collapses in on itself and contracts back past your existence giving you a chance to review your life ( a la "my whole life flashed before my eyes") before it contracts even further and you return to the the beginning of all things aka. a perfect state of infinite potential, heaven, the singularity etc. and catch up with all your old pals from the universe before you re-incarnate as part of a new and different expansion cycle of the same perfect singularity. Maybe it gets a bit better each time.
does this ring true with anybody?
whatever, rock on universe!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Never really thunk about it that way, i guess it is all in the perception.
And we all perceive things differently.
Me myself i don't much care, i'll get there either way.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

one thing is mostly certain; the way we perceive time is not the same nature that time actually is

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This really resonates with me. I have often thought maybe our perception of time is reversed, and in fact we are stumbling backwards through time but our brains percieve it as travelling forward.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
WOW that's something to think about.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Recently I found an old UFO photograph that I was trying to identify. Looked like it might be the usual Chinese lantern at first but after staring at it for a few days some connections are starting to come.

Back in the 60's we used to hear that if you spun the Beatles records backward you would hear "Paul is dead". The backwards playing of records was advised as training for magicians by occultist Aleister Crowley, who suggested in his 1913 book Magick (Book 4) that an adept "train himself to think backwards by external means", one of which was to "listen to phonograph records, reversed."

You ask yourself why would someone like Crowley train themselves in this manner?

Also why was Paul dead?

There is more to it than you might expect but I'm still lean towards the Copenhagen interpretation of cause and effect.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

In his book, "A Brief History of Time", Steven Hawking describes a similar effect...where time flows forward as the universe expands, eventually coming to a stop as the universe ceases to expand (one possible ending). He believes that time is created as space is created....the expansion of the universe causing both. If and when the universe reaches a point where it begins to contract again, then time will flow backwards. The inhabitants of that phase of the cycle wouldn't be aware that time is running backwards because for them it will seem normal. We could just as easily be on the contracting reverse-time cycle as on the expanding, forward-time cycle.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81
Back in the 60's we used to hear that if you spun the Beatles records backward you would hear "Paul is dead".

A rumour had started circulating that Paul McCartney died; the Beatles put lots of "clues" into their music to keep the rumour alive. It has nothing to do with time reversals; and everything to do with clever marketing.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

a simple dejavue will answer your questions.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

That's how i came to the conclusion that we are moving backwards in time. De-ja vu could be interpreted as our brains remembering events that have already occurred but our brains perceive it as the future. The mind is a strange thing. It get more bizarre when you think that time is in fact man made and there is no time. The question is how do we stop perceiving time itself?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I imagine it would be something like this:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRoboto

That's how i came to the conclusion that we are moving backwards in time. De-ja vu could be interpreted as our brains remembering events that have already occurred but our brains perceive it as the future. The mind is a strange thing. It get more bizarre when you think that time is in fact man made and there is no time. The question is how do we stop perceiving time itself?

You dont stop perceivng time ,you embrace time, and understand that' TIME' is a very good god amongst the heavons grail,respect time, and all your answers will come within time.
There are alot of levels to the brain that the average will never understande,to understand time,is to understand the alpha of all existence.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

For us to embrace time, do we not have to stop perceiving time in the constraints of our ability to perceive time? I hope you follow. I understand we must embrace time, but how? My mortal brain can only perceive time the way it has been trained. Im trying to embrace time in a different way. It's very difficult for me to dis-associate time without numerical measurments. However I digress, I don't want to take away from the OP's original statement. I do think our perception of time is skewed.

edit on 15-2-2011 by MrRoboto because: redundant words. time wasters....

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
I imagine it would be something like this:

The best part of that episode (Red Dwarf: "Backwards") is when the cat disappears behind a bush to "take care of business"....then learns the harsh reality of living on a backwards world!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You are experiencing what is already past whilst traveling into the future. You NEVER experience the present.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Neither....time is travelling through YOU.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Semantic nonsense. Time is not an object. Therefore it cannot travel.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527

Originally posted by MrRoboto

You dont stop perceivng time ,you embrace time, and understand that' TIME' is a very good god amongst the heavons grail,respect time, and all your answers will come within time.
There are alot of levels to the brain that the average will never understande,to understand time,is to understand the alpha of all existence.

Not many humans in the world have gone through a whole dejavu,they always mess the first 1.2 to 2.4 sewconds of what a dejavue really is.
Hope fully one day u will experience a full dejavue and the meaning,but until that day comes,i cant explain it,but i will leave you with this.

When you read a book from start to finish and put that book down,then in the common veiw of life,you read a book,and you finished,and you put that book down.but later you decide to pick it up again and read it over.

point blank..
A dejavue is a book reopened in ones life,a book that is being read over again.
why?
Because there is no way you can see or experience the future/dejavue with out the future already happening.

So are we catching up with our selves or trying to ?
Or has this life already happened before ,and we are reliving it.

dejavue is the greatest experience as far a paranormal is concerned.
you can learn alot from it.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi

Originally posted by nerbot

Semantic nonsense. Time is not an object. Therefore it cannot travel.

I think I saw what he was driving at, that time is an artifact of our perceptions. I could be wrong but that's how I took it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Time is fascinating.

I think that we perceive time. Maybe it all happens at once and we are mearly creating a perceptible experience as our brain processes and decompresses it.

The passage of time is different everyday - sometimes it slows and sometimes it's fast and having fun is not necessarily the rule. Can we consciously control the speed setting that we perceive time?

I also wonder about other animals. I look at my cat and she is now 11 which is 77 in human years. How does she experience time? Does everything move quickly for her or does her brain process and decompress it to a different speed. What about insects who are alive for days? Or animals that are alive for longer years than us? Do trees experience time?

I believe we do live in the past - all our senses are processed by our brain before we experience them. We are always running behind this buffer. Our eyes see everything upside down and I expect our other senses contain stuff that our brain "cleans up" for us.

Whatever - its late and who knows for sure?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join