It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Am I travelling backwards or forewards through time?

page: 2
5
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey

I also wonder about other animals. I look at my cat and she is now 11 which is 77 in human years. How does she experience time? Does everything move quickly for her or does her brain process and decompress it to a different speed. What about insects who are alive for days? Or animals that are alive for longer years than us? Do trees experience time?


I believe I read somewhere that some animals do percieve time differently, I think specifically from a birds perspective things seem to be movng much more slowly than they do to us.
I wonder how it would effect an individuals perception of time if they believed they were going to live for a thousand years. Will our perception of time change dramatically if say, nanotechnology, managed to increase our lifespans dramatically.




posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi

Originally posted by nerbot
Neither....time is travelling through YOU.

Semantic nonsense. Time is not an object. Therefore it cannot travel.


You didn't think about my response before bleating did you?

Think some more...



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
We are driving forwards but instead of a transparent windshield (precognition), most of us are forced to drive using only a rear-view mirror (memory). It's not surprising that there are so many accidents...
edit on 2/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
We are driving forwards but instead of a transparent windshield (precognition), most of us are forced to drive using only a rear-view mirror (memory). It's not surprising that there are so many accidents...
edit on 2/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)


I'm informed by a friend that some aboriginal tribes in the east view time opposite to the way we do and that in fact they see the past as being the future and the future as being the past because to them it makes more sense that what we can see (remember) is what lies ahead and the future that lies beyond our perception is what exists in the past, hence no longer being able to 'see it'. A difficult concept to get your head around.



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If you read this post then you are traveling forward through time.

Any questions?



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
If you read this post then you are traveling forward through time.

Any questions?


None. You have totally failed to understand my original post, even if I was travelling backwards through time I would still be travelling backwards through the original moment where I read your post and correctly assumed that I was going forwards through time, therefore I would exist in a moment where I percieved time to be moving forward regardless of which direction it was in fact moving.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Arkady because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady
 

I read your post, but you are over thinking it.

The very fact that you are reading this sentence, and have no idea how it's going to end should be proof enough for you that time is "moving" forward for the simple fact that I'm going to end this sentence with big pink fluffy bunny rabbits.

Your memory is building, not getting erased. You know this. Before you started reading this post, you had no awareness of big pink fluffy bunny rabbits, but now you do. You will continue to do so after you finish reading this post.

That's a memory, and your memory is building RIGHT NOW as you move forward through time.



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
reply to post by Arkady
 

I read your post, but you are over thinking it.

The very fact that you are reading this sentence, and have no idea how it's going to end should be proof enough for you that time is "moving" forward for the simple fact that I'm going to end this sentence with big pink fluffy bunny rabbits.

Your memory is building, not getting erased. You know this. Before you started reading this post, you had no awareness of big pink fluffy bunny rabbits, but now you do. You will continue to do so after you finish reading this post.

That's a memory, and your memory is building RIGHT NOW as you move forward through time.


Maybe. At least, what you write sounds logical. But....according to Stephen Hawking (A Brief History of Time) time is created as part of space/time as as the universe expands. He describes a system where the expansion of the universe isn't merely creating more real estate, it's actually creating the universe and the forward movement of time is a part of that creation. If the universe reaches a maximum outward expansion, where gravity slows, then stops the expansion, time will also slow then stop. And if the universe starts to collapse again, time will reverse direction. According to Hawking, during the contraction phase, the arrow of time is reversed and causality will reverse. Meaning: you wouldn't know time is running backwards because you would be running backwards as well.

Yes it sounds weird. Check out the book, Hawking's explanation is much more eloquent than mine.



posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag
 


exactly.



new topics

top topics



 
5
<< 1   >>

log in

join