It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" <-- Doesn't work?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This sounds great on bumper stickers, and in Michael Jackson songs but I'm not sure if this phrase is true. Or at least it really doesn't work for me.

I've tried lots of different ways of being the change I've wanted to see, but it seems like the world just keeps on truckin the way it is.

I've been a vegitarian for like 10 years. Seems like the world eats more cows than ever. I ride a bike alot more and drive very little. Seems like the world is driving more and going faster and faster. I try to research things as much as possible and stay informed. Seems like most of the world is as ignorant as ever with no signs of slowing.

Maybe if I do the opposite of all that I've been doing, the world will turn out how I want it.

(gets in a car and drives to get a steak)

Maybe I"m understanding this quote wrong.
edit on 14-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Yeah the problem is changing the minds of alot of people at once. in order to do that they need someone to follow. A martyr or person that everybody can identify with. And then there is communication issues with large groups of people.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yeah, I hear ya.

But remember that change happens very, very slowly. And if there weren't a group of people to be brave enough to initiate these changes in the first place, the rest of us wouldn't have an example to follow.

Let's take civil rights, as an example. Or even women's voting rights.

If a few people didn't rise up and bring AWARENESS to other people in the world on these issues, then change wouldn't have been possible.

The fact that blacks can ride on a bus or that women can vote all started with an idea---and the courage and bravery of others.

Don't change. Your awareness is an invaluable tool for the rest of us.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

That would be my guess.

For me, 'being the change I want to see' is not a way to manipulate the world, neither is there a promise that the world will follow suit. The idea is to live with integrity that you can be proud of. Do your part. That's all you can do. You are responsible for your actions and others are for theirs.

What it means to me is "Do your part in making the world a better place".

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It says be the change you want to see. How that is interpreted varies, but I wouldn't go riding a bike in hopes of all cars to cease to exist.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's too much work for an individual to try and change EVERYONE's worlds. So don't worry about what others are doing. Keep doing what you know is right and YOUR world will change.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
You can't change a world, but you can change yourself.
Your close ciircle may adopt some things you do if you seem happy to do them.
Their close circle may take note...and slowly the ripple happens

Such an effect is very slow...but the thing is, you have to do it not to change the world, but because you want to live as you do.

In saying that, What you do that is to your specific tastes will not be appreciated by all. I am a meat eater and the happiest vegatarian couldn't convince me to go without the occasional baked chicken, nor the most avid bike rider would convince me I need to make a 20 mile trip via bike.

Its about mindset most of all.
edit on 14-2-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Yeah i dont think its meant to be taken like that, Im totally with you on the Vegetarian thing in that humans really dont care enough about animals However Meat is a vital part of ones Diet and most people just dont have the money to be vegetarian at this point in time.(However we shall not get into that)
The quote is to encourage anyone who thinks this world needs to change, To begin changing it for the better, You cant take out specifics and Complain because people arnt doing what you want them all to do, Its about been a Good person and Helping others to create a better future for everyone.
Infact is the last thing you should do is Impose ideals on the world

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

I've tried lots of different ways of being the change I've wanted to see, but it seems like the world just keeps on truckin the way it is.

edit on 14-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

maybe you are looking for more of an "immediate" change? i live by many quotes, this one being a pillar for my "art of living". i think that change towards a utopia is coming faster and faster, as those who resist the change keep "driving to get their steaks", no matter if it contains chemicals or artificial hormones.

with many people ive talked to about this quote, it seems that the ones who dont believe the truth of it, dont fully believe in themselves (not saying you do or dont).

Remember...

"There is no try, only do." -Master Yoda

&

Change is Constant.

Know thyself friend!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is my one positive helpful post of the day
( aren't you lucky?)

Take heart; O.P. Mike Ruppert ( author of "crossing the rubicon" and "collapse")
believes strongly in the 100th monkey story:

I'm absolutely as far from being a "new ager" as you can get: but I like Mikes work.

The Hundredth Monkey
by Ken Keyes, Jr.

A story about social change

The Japanese monkey, Macaca fuscata, has been observed in the wild for a period of over 30 years. In 1952, on the island of Koshima scientists were providing monkeys with sweet potatoes dropped in the sand. The monkeys liked the taste of the raw sweet potatoes, but they found the dirt unpleasant.

An 18-month-old female named Imo found she could solve the problem in a nearby stream. She taught this trick to her mother. Her playmates also learned this new way and they taught their mothers, too. This cultural innovation was gradually picked up by various monkeys before the eyes of the scientists.

Between 1952 and 1958, all the young monkeys learned to wash the sandy sweet potatoes to make them more palatable. Only the adults who imitated their children learned this social improvement. Other adults kept eating the dirty sweet potatoes.

Then something startling took place. In the autumn of 1958, a certain number of Koshima monkeys were washing sweet potatoes—the exact number is not known. Let us suppose that when the sun rose one morning there were 99 monkeys on Koshima Island who had learned to wash their sweet potatoes. Let’s further suppose that later that morning, the hundredth monkey learned to wash potatoes.

THEN IT HAPPENED!

By that evening almost everyone in the tribe was washing sweet potatoes before eating them. The added energy of this hundredth monkey somehow created an ideological breakthrough!

But notice. A most surprising thing observed by these scientists was that the habit of washing sweet potatoes then jumped over the sea …Colonies of monkeys on other islands and the mainland troop of monkeys at Takasakiyama began washing their sweet potatoes!

Thus, when a certain critical number achieves an awareness, this new awareness may be communicated from mind to mind. Although the exact number may very, the Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon means that when only a limited number of people know of a new way, it may remain the consciousness property of these people. But there is a point at which if only one more person tunes-in to a new awareness, a field is strengthened so that this awareness is picked up by almost everyone! …

You may be the "Hundredth Monkey"…

www.nbbta.org...
edit on 14-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2011 by 46ACE because: rearrangedstructuire..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think it means to be what you think is right and become an example for others to emulate.To lead by example if you will.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

This is where faith comes into play my freind. Have faith in the chaff, they are here to teach you what being part of the 'wheat' means to our collective. Do you think Gandhi would be Gandhi if poeple never picked on him and argued loudly? Gandhi seemed to find wisdom and learning in each and every situation. He was an observer. Cause and effect.

Personally, for me "be the change you want to see" is about internal conflict. If you are at complete peace with yourself, you will also be in peace with the world no matter how grim it looks. Confronting the concept of mortality is a huge part of this. I still have demons but they are accepted for they are. And i like to think that whenever i want to learn something new about myself, i can turn to the darkness.

Now imagine 5 billion poeple thinking the same thing as you... more everyday... AND YOU ARE HELPING! It just doesnt manifest the way you would like it too. That's to easy, you can always improve yourself!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Please don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others and vise versa. To expect the world to change simply based on how you chose to live your life is dangerously close to arrogance.

As a couple of others have said...you must concentrate on yourself, and I would like you to also think about your community. You have to think realistically as to what you can affect. Can you change yourself? YES Can you change the world? NO Can you influence your family? Absolutely. Can in you influence your closest friends? YES Can your friends then influence thier family and closes friends? YES and so on, and so on.

Now, you can take it a step further. HOW do we influence in a positive way? BY LOVING. HOW do we love? By being honest, kind and true. We as a society need to get back to communities. We need to start doing this by organizing smaller groups whithin larger communities. Getting to know each other, being there to support and love each other. Now, you could say that this is what a church is. Unfortunately, today a great number of church's do not practice what they preach. I have had the absolute blessing to become part of a church that has NOT fallen into that trap. I attend a church called Christ The King and it really has a revolutionary way of thinking. Our paster has even written a couple of books speaking on how churches have fallen into so many traps and seem to want to make us believe we have to EARN God's love, and in turn each others. But that is so backwards.

If you attend church, start organizing smaller groups/communities whithin it. Meet once a weekl or a month just to get together and show love, kindness, concern and honest tough love. If you don't go to church or believe in it....start with your neighborhood. Reach out to your neighbors and organize some get-togethers where you can get to know each other, show love and caring for one another. NO one should feel alone in this world....yet it seems the larger we get, the more closed off from each other we become.

We CAN ultimately influence the nature of our world but it has to happen one person at a time. If we were to all take this attitude and start with the ONE person we can change...ourselves...think about what would happen.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
All in all, it means to live by example. Be an example to those around you... Sure, you probably will not notice much of a change, if any at all... But here is the thing... If you have effected anyone positively by living your life the way you want the world to be, then you HAVE made a difference... For all you know, that person you impacted is paying it forward.

That is what it is all about. You wont see instant worldwide results.... But you can still make a difference... And if enough people "Be the change they wish to see"... Things will really start to change for the better.

And at the very least, you can live happily, knowing that you are living your life to it's fullest. Knowing that you are being the change you wish to see in this world.... That, is something to be proud of.

Keep it up.

edit on 14-2-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I think it applies to the energy around all and those who can sense it and interact. So if there is energy around that can controll weather/Ea inhabitant attitudes, then maybe concentrate more on these issues and how to fix them. EX. There are 3rd world countries were vegitation wont grow due to weather try and concentrate on the weather patternor undergtound water sources. Deep.
edit on 2/14/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

If you kill an animal without feeling fear then it generally does not feel much pain. If you kill it while having positive feelings then it benefits. We are all one in essence, vegetarians are just basically afraid of being just another animal in the food chain, and attempt to elevate themselves by avoiding meat, despite the fact that even plants can sense pain:

The key is to eat without guilt, and without desire.
edit on 14-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

I think thats for a whole other thread. Didn't really want to discuss weather killing animals was right or wrong in this thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I just made another thread dealing with this issue. Perhaps what we want and what we don't want are connected in an equilibrium, and it is our responsibility to act from a point of balance.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

You are the world, you are the light of the world. It's all you. Don't worry about anyone else, they'll catch up and catch on, or fall away, no worries.
Acceptance, and non-resistence also helps transform the world around us. If we're on the right path, but are finger pointing at everyone and everything outside of ourselves as unworthy or casting dispersions of negative judgement, then we're not entitled to expect to see much improve around us, right. We get back what we expect to see, and to a large degree the world is what we make of it. Everything else is just a judgement however justified we may feel based on the "data" we're pointing at. There's more going on than meets the eye, in this we must have faith, or all reason and purpose is lost.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Thanks for all the great responses. I was at least hoping for 1 "yeah man same here" reply but guess thats not happening. lol

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Not that I'm unhappy or anything. I'm quite content with the way life is going.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join