It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible believers, do you want to worship God without rest for all eternity or burn in the lake of fir

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
According to the bible, you will either worship God at his throne for all eternity without rest(Psalms 22:27-28; 66:4; 86:9; Isaiah 66:23; Zechariah 14:16-18; Revelation 7:15) like you were MADE to do in the original plan (Psalms 149:4a; Revelation 4:11) OR burn in the lake of fire for all eternity (Revelation 20:10). Which torture do you prefer [if the bible is true]?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Can I do both?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Can I do both?

Well, I guess you can worship God while you're burning in hell. That would be a combination of the both, but why worship someone that wants to burn you forever anyway?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
its not torture to worship God. And it will not be 100% sitting before the throne 24hrs/7days week. It means that there will be worship at the throne forever but God has a plan for each individual. For one christians will rule and reign with Christ. God has a plan for eternity and we will be a part of it. Scripture says about various rewards that will be given out like those that are faithful over little will be ruler over many things. there's this perception that all you'll do is sit up there and play a harp on a cloud and its boring. Heaven is a BUSY BUSY place. plenty going on.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I would guess that your view of worshipping God is standing around yelling "Go God!" over and over, eh?

In the New Testament, martyrs (those killed for being Christian) are described as worshipping God in the act, and there are other references that have nothing to do with mindless verbalizations, so it does not follow that worshipping is nothing more than cheerleading.

Personally, I think that I worship God when I walk in the woods and enjoy his creation. Or when I spend time reading and learning, regardless of the content. Or when I sit in the quiet of my home and think about the life that I have. Or play cards with friends and enjoy their fellowship.

Get out of your fundamentalist mindset that has you forcing God, belief and perspective into a skewed little box, and you'll find a God that is bigger than your preconceived notions.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Supposedly, if you make it to Heaven then you'd also be in eternal bliss, happiness so what's the problem? I don't think the idea of god would be any different from the material things and people we worship today or how people have been governed throughout the ages.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I know, that this is probably off topic, but why do people concentrate on bible, Christianity??? I think for the past few years we had a lot of threads about this or that in the Christianity and I believe almost everyone here on ATS knows, that this religion, its branches and holy book(s) have something which we can't accept, we don't agree with and so on. So please, make something new...
Make a thread about Islam, Buddhism or other world spread religion.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
@ the OP, I take it you would rather burn? I choose eternity with God. JMO

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It still doesn't change the fact that God is acting like the mafia. He's basically saying "You can do whatever ya like but if you don't do as I say, I'll torture you.", how is that free will at all?

Also, it doesn't matter whether you will be in complete bliss or not. It is NOT freewill.

Also, the bible doesn't not say that there will be breaks from worshipping God. Revelations say that the worship is RESTLESS through NIGHT AND DAY (Forever) and YES! There are BEASTS around God screaming "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty," FOREVER!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Well there are 2 points. First you never defined worship. What it is and how it is done. And secondly, while it is "popular Christianity" that you burn in Hell forever, in fact there are more verses that state you are destroyed in Hell -- it is just the Hell fire itself that is eternal. So in fact the alternative is between worship and destruction.

As for worship -- in the context of worshiping God "in the next life" it might be best expressed as showing honor to God by your actions. In other words, doing your work in manner that shows respect. Like -- doing the best job you can. Yeah for some that means singing but I suggest that is only for people who want to do that and are good at it. If you stink at singing, by definition, your singing would not be an expression of worship.

So whatever you are assigned to do, that you do well -- that's worship. In context. That's all.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
It still doesn't change the fact that God is acting like the mafia. He's basically saying "You can do whatever ya like but if you don't do as I say, I'll torture you.", how is that free will at all?

Of course it is, it's the epitome of free will. You are free to live your life as you like, and you can choose to live by the guidelines that God gave you, or not. Many Christians (and I am among them) believe that hell was not intended for humans, but is the only place in the spiritual realm where one may be outside the presence of God (the whole eternal fire and stuff, meh, who knows.) After you die, if you have used your free will to live apart from God, judgement pronounces that you be given that which you've asked for -- existence apart from God.

It's akin to a speed limit. There is a speed limit, beyond which you're not supposed to drive. But your car isn't magically limited, you have to make a conscious decision whether to obey that limit or whether to break it. If you break it, you run the risk of getting caught and being punished, but you wouldn't say that this breaks your free will, would you?

Christianity is the same way -- the rules are clear, and the risk you run is that God is real, the rules are the rules, and there is a punishment that you can't evade for breaking them. But it's still your choice, your free will.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

According to the bible, you will either worship God at his throne for all eternity without rest(Psalms 22:27-28; 66:4; 86:9; Isaiah 66:23; Zechariah 14:16-18; Revelation 7:15) like you were MADE to do in the original plan (Psalms 149:4a; Revelation 4:11) OR burn in the lake of fire for all eternity (Revelation 20:10). Which torture do you prefer [if the bible is true]?

False Dilemma fallacy.

"This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because if both claims could be false, then it cannot be inferred that one is true because the other is false."

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Personally, I think that I worship God when I walk in the woods and enjoy his creation.

That is why the OP is a False Dilemma fallacy. "Worship" is any act showing great worth to something or someone. And on top of that, assuming no one wants to show great worth to God is false. Billions of humans do not consider showing great worth to God to be "torture" to them.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I say we should adopt the Bible's sense of morality for everything. We should just build a massive bonfire and never put it out, and just feed it with everyone who breaks any law or who doesn't believe our leaders are just and righteous.

That should be right up a Christian fundie's alley. Have nothing but praise for your leaders or else you'll be burned to death.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

False Dilemma fallacy.

"This line of "reasoning" is fallacious because if both claims could be false, then it cannot be inferred that one is true because the other is false."

I know that it is a false dilemma fallacy because the bible isn't true so neither will happen, but I just want people to see the supposed "morality" of this character of God.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Can I do neither? Isn't it possible to end up in some sort of weird limbo area?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Can I do both?

Well, I guess you can worship God while you're burning in hell. That would be a combination of the both, but why worship someone that wants to burn you forever anyway?

Would that make me a conundrum wraped in an enigma??????

edit on 2/17/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

your right because our leaders preach peace love and unity right?

10 commandments throw out the first for cause of your choice not believing in God.

find something wrong with the world following these rules completely.

Jesus stated the two great commandments
1. love God with all your heart mind soul and strength.
2. love your neighbor as yourself.

what's wrong with that^^^?

God's name is the great IAM or I Am All That I Am. or simpler Everything.

So God's name is Everything

2 great commandments
1. Love Everything with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.
2. love your neighbor as yourself

please tell me what's wrong with that ideology? what's wrong with love? that's what i don't understand about it all why do so many people have a problem with love.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuncrazy
please tell me what's wrong with that ideology? what's wrong with love? that's what i don't understand about it all why do so many people have a problem with love.

You're absolutely right, and it'd be nice if our leaders had the emotional development to pursue any of those ideals.

On the other hand, I can't reconcile anything you just said with the concept of hell, which I think is arbitrary and barbaric and a little out-of-place with all the love stuff.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Ahhh...I remember being like this...

I'm sure a non-believer like you has the whole image down, right?

What do you mean no "rest"? We will be made incorruptible, there is no night anymore and you do not need to sleep. You become your spirit body which doesnt require rest...so the idea on not having any "rest" is ridiculous. Rest doesn't exist because we are not flesh anymore.

Once you meat the creator you will fearfully bow down whether you think so or not, it's the truth.

I'll find great pleasure in worshipping and loving our creator. Don't you seem how much love he has shown by creating earth and all it's life? Now where's God's love?

Do you really think people would rather pick hell over eternal life with God?

edit on 19-2-2011 by Techyo because: (no reason given)

top topics

join