It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left is mean but right is meaner, says new study of political discourse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

In the first published study of its kind, social scientists at Tufts University's School of Arts and Sciences have found that outrage talk is endemic among commentators of all political stripes, but measurably worse on the political right, and is more prevalent than it was even during the turmoil of the war in Viet Nam and the Watergate scandal.

Source

I hope they didn't spend too much money doing this study...

Does it come as a surprise to anyone? I guess it is quantifiable.

edit on Mon Feb 14 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: EXTERNAL QUOTE TAGS

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GrisGris

What I find interesting about this study, is they reviewed media during the civil rights and found it contained less "outrage" language.

How do you stop an epidemic like this?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GrisGris

I just have to say, awwww.

Politics is an ugly game. You have to have a thick skin. If you can't give as good as you get, then try another profession.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
So, basically a very liberal left-wing college, from one of the most liberal left-wing states of the union has decided that right-wingers are mean.

How about a study from a source with a little less intrinsic bias.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
So, basically a very liberal left-wing college, from one of the most liberal left-wing states of the union has decided that right-wingers are mean.

How about empirical data.... And not proving it's point with an attack on the info?

*sigh*

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrisGris

How about empirical data.... And not proving it's point with an attack on the info?

*sigh*

"How about empirical data.... And not proving it's point with an attack on the info?"

"why"?I don't have to; the whole premise is bogus.

Data? You mean as in "fund a study to validate the left is in fact "meaner"? (and the criteria for that subjective word is?) Should I count the number of times Garafalo says: "no Chris: they are clueless feeble mindedred neck racists" on msnbc?

What's the point of something like this? Who would waste the timeandmoney just So the left can report it on the huff post (that only leftist read); and feel "smug" they are above the "mean" ( there's that word again)-spirited mudslinging "right"?

Yeah that study and a $1.25 will buy you a cup of coffee.enjoy.

I can't even believe I stopped to spend a few precious minutes I will never get back.
Political trolling in its purest form.
I've got to go do something useful on my "to do list": like clean my guns;kick the neighbors dog; and steal food from a poor person.
edit on 13-2-2011 by 46ACE because: one "b" in feeble...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Thanks for saving me the trouble of answering. Star for you.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Did you read it? Yes, you are suppose to count it. The point of the study was to look into the amount of attack and compare it with history.

Both groups were found to have high levels... One was worse.
edit on 13-2-2011 by GrisGris because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

What's the point of something like this? Who would waste the timeandmoney just So the left can report it on the huff post (that only leftist read); and feel "smug" they are above the "mean" ( there's that word again)-spirited mudslinging " right.

Let me remind you, the the thread title is taken directly from the headline.

Also, what if it had come out reversed... Would that be interesting? Obviously the title of headline is designed to draw people in... But content wise, everything gets studied.
edit on 13-2-2011 by GrisGris because: Struggling with bbs quotes

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Did you read it? Yes, you are suppose to count it. The point of the study was to look into the amount of attack and compare it with history.

Both groups were found to have high levels... One was worse.
As I said earlier, you must consider your source. What if FOX or Rush said they had done a study and determined the left to be the worse of the two. How much weight would liberals give said study?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

This is an academic journal, a peer-reviewed periodical in which scholarship relating to a particular academic discipline is published.

So there's more credibility given, then someone saying I did a study last night... If Fox could get a study published and academically approved... It would be news and something to be considered.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

This is an academic journal, a peer-reviewed periodical in which scholarship relating to a particular academic discipline is published.

So there's more credibility given, then someone saying I did a study last night... If Fox could get a study published and academically approved... It would be news and something to be considered.
All I am saying is that you don't trust a crook to judge the actions of other crooks. For a group of liberals to get together and agree that conservatives are meaner than they are has almost no validity to me.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

All I am saying is that you don't trust a crook to judge the actions of other crooks. For a group of liberals to get together and agree that conservatives are meaner than they are has almost no validity to me.

All academics are liberals?

Can't you just take a moment and reflect? Why would this be the case?

Do conservatives have a belief system that leads to it? Is it something used rhetorically?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Not all academics are liberals. However that college in Massachusetts is VERY LIBERAL, and thus not trustworthy on this topic. At least imo anyway.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Okay, I hear you. This school is liberal and in a liberal state...but it's peered reviewed but other scientist and scholars to ensure that the science behind it is good.

This will be used in national dialogs... There's not much else to talk about and they love themselves.

But let's move on and talk about why this might be the case.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Have you ever been to Massachusetts? How can you prove your statement about Tufts? What study did this information that you're referencing come from?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera

Have you ever been to Massachusetts?
Yes, once. It was more than enough. Why do you ask? Is it because I consider Mass to be very liberal?

How can you prove your statement about Tufts?
Simple; by analyzing their curriculum, their educational staff, and by checking other publications originating from there.

What study did this information that you're referencing come from?
I am not sure what you are asking here.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Check this out:
community.babycenter.com... y_so_few_republican_scientists_poll_discussion

Most scientists identify as Democrats (55%), while 32% identify as independents and just 6% say they are Republicans. When the leanings of independents are considered, fully 81% identify as Democrats or lean to the Democratic Party, compared with 12% who either identify as Republicans or lean toward the GOP. Among the public, there are far fewer self-described Democrats (35%) and far more Republicans (23%). Overall, 52% of the public identifies as Democratic or leans Democratic, while 35% identifies as Republican or leans Republican.

There're a lot of democrats and democrat-leaning academics and scientists out there. Good luck finding a conservative study in our liberal society. They're out there, but in this society you're going upstream and having to fight the crowd of sheep to get where you're going.
edit on 13-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
They are all one in the same regardless of side

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera

What study did this information that you're referencing come from?
I am not sure what you are asking here.

You already answered it. I can't help but think you might be from Texas.
So, because you consider the institution that did this study to be left-wing, you also assume that the data are fudged, too?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join