It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Installs ‘Virtual Shield’ Of 10,000 Surveillance Cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
So I've never been to Chicago and now I have good reason to stay out. There was an article published February 6th on Discovery News.

Chicago’s path to becoming the most-watched U.S. city began in 2003 when police began installing cameras with flashing blue lights at high-crime intersections.

What is the purpose of the flashing blue light? It's like with each flash the police are saying "We're here, We're here"... "Big Brother is Watching YOU".
If I'm walking through the hood, I would feel a lot safer with an actual cop than ten of these cameras.

At least 1,250 of them are powerful enough to zoom in and read the text of a book. The sophisticated system is also capable of automatically tracking people and vehicles out of the range of one camera and into another and searching for images of interest like an unattended package or a particular license plate.

So basically we have no privacy, and no means of escape should we ever desire it from this tyrannical surveillance state. And their next goal is cameras that listen as well as watch.

Chicago police say the cameras have led to 4,500 arrests in the last four years.

4,500 of our citizens have been put in jail or worse for something a camera saw. I'm curious what laws they broke. I'm sure some were legitimate, others not.

These cameras are in the big cities today, it's only a matter of time until all cities, big and small, in America can be watched by CCTV from anywhere else in America, or the world if these European Unions, North American Union, etc. join up.

Related Threads:
Chicago Mayor Vows "There will be cameras on every street corner"
Cameras on every block in Chicago

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
Seems fair

Three of these states have taken this recording restriction a step further. According to McElroy, Illinois, Maryland and Massachusetts have specifically made it "illegal to record an on-duty police officer even if the encounter involves you and may be necessary to your defense, and even if the recording is on a public street where no expectation of privacy exists."

Police State - Illegal to Record On-Duty Police Officers

They don't us recording them when they beat the hell out of us, or worse, even though we haven't done anything wrong.

I wonder if that law extends to people taping police state measures taken out against peaceful protesters.

edit on 13-2-2011 by BenIndaSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
from a country that uses so much more than their fair share of energy, why the need for the electricity wasting blue lights. i bet you could heat a lot of soup for the homeless with that electricity.
edit on 13-2-2011 by lewman because: spelt fair as fare

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
great...now they can get video of you getting mugged without any actual law enforcement intervention at all!

Yay!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Most of those blue light cameras are inoperational, they just have the fancy flashing lights as a decoy, atleast that's what it seems like, because I had my car broken into right infront of the camera, my stereo, my amplifier, speakers CD collection all gone, busted window, and I figured hell there's a camera, they must have got it on tape, I flagged a squad down, and the lady didn't want to bother, she told me to just call the station an make a report and she took off. I called and made the report, and told them it was in shot of the camera, and they gave me the runaround and said they couldnt get the video off the camera or some other nonsense. That's when I realized they are either not working and just decoys, or they are monitoring for something else, because people still sell drugs under those cameras. A friend of mine said the same thing happened to her on another camera.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

O beautiful for chemtrail skies,
For amber waves of Monsanto GMO's,
For portable cop towers
Above the fruited plain full of illegals working!

Americka! Amerika!

Horus shed his eye on thee,
And crown thy banksters with royaltyhood
From Wall Street to Beverly!
(hill's that is... with movie stars and....)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
These cameras are not new. The news is that groups are finally fighting back against the invasion of privacy imposed by this surveillance network, which is an encouraging sign. I hate the cameras and I believe we need to begin to dismantle the police-state we've created in the name of "security". We're no more secure now than we were without the cameras. The dangers of excessive and unwarranted surveillance of the general population far outweigh the dangers which are cited to justify it.

Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
they cant lock up everybody, if we could organize a thousands of people to just go from camera to camera putting them out of service, we would not have to live with this tyrannical bs...the time for action is rapidly approaching, where are the Egyptian people when you need them?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea honestly! In japan people are observed like this all the time and just look at how low the crime rates are! I think Chicago is making a bold move in the right direction!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
CHI town needs cameras, if for any thing at least to catch some of the crime and gang violence on video for future prevention.

There is so much of a criminal element in Chi town that it runs the streets.

I've been in Chicago, spent 14 hours in the old bus terminal, to say the least I did not sleep for another 14.
In normal circumstances I am not for a police like state, but in this instance even I can make an exception.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

What's the point of having a camera there if people won't respond to it? A camera won't make Chicago any more safe. All cameras do is record crime that happens. It won't make the city safe. At the very least the only thing that it would do is make response times faster when something is happening or that it'll allow police to police areas that are riddled with crime. But, it's not like it will prevent crime or anything.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

Great, can we spare a few for the Pentagon?/
Seems they don't have any..

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
You might ought to worry more about the electronics that scans our heads and sees and hears what we do.The cameras on the street are ancient antiques along with the shuttle program. Look at your computer,TV,or cellphone screen and say cheeseburger... our phones can hear and see when we think its off.Taking the battery out is the only way to stop it from tracking,seeing or hearing .near future phones that run without batteries and off closer cell towers will not turn off. Attention Crew,lets get our chi power up from project jedi and melt their mind control satellites and their cameras before we sit down in front of old eagle eye again.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Trust me, this is a good thing. I'm from Chicago and the area's where the camera's are installed are highly populated by gangs, drugs, and violence. Many innocent children sadly die daily in Chicago from gun violence. They get caught in the cross fire on there way home from school, or just heading to school. The camera's deter the gangs from specific areas.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lucki00013

They don't deter them from my area apparently. The same stuff goes on in front of the cameras.

top topics

join