It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confirmed: Eight major pieces stolen from Egypt museum:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Major pieces stolen from Egypt museum:

news.yahoo.com

CAIRO (AFP) – Several major pieces have been stolen from the Egyptian museum, including a statue of King Tutankhamun, Egypt's minister of state for antiquities Zahi Hawass said on Sunday.
The objects missing from the famed museum included "a gilded wood statue of the 18th Dynasty king Tutankhamun being carried by a goddess" and parts of "a gilded wood statue of Tutankhamun harpooning," Hawass said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13-2-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This is shameful. This is their history and culture just disappearing! This news is uncovered after the looting that took place on January 28th. The museum contains more than 100,000 artifacts.
Included in the stolen items are parts of "a gilded wood statue of Tutankhamun harpooning
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/901c8887e862.jpg[/atsimg]
Lets just hope these can be recovered one day soon.

Looters broke into the museum in Cairo's Tahrir Square on January 28 when massive protests against then-president Hosni Mubarak drove his despised police from the streets in a series of running battles.
Also missing are a limestone statue of Akhenaten holding an offering table, a statue of Queen Nefertiti making offerings, a sandstone head of a princess from Amarna -- a vast archaeological site in the southern province of Minya.
A stone statuette of a scribe from Amarna, and eleven wooden shabti statuettes of Yuya, a powerful Egyptian courtier from the 18th Dynasty which ruled Egypt 3,000 years ago, were also missing Hawass said.
A heart scarab -- an amulet placed on the chest of the mummy to ensure the heart was not removed -- belonging to Yuya was also missing, he added.
Founded in 1858 by French Egyptologist Auguste Mariette, the museum contains more than 100,000 Egyptian artefacts, including the world renowned -- and reputedly cursed -- treasures from King Tutankhamun's tomb.
The best known artefact is the teenage monarch's gold funerary mask, which stares out from a case on the first floor of the museum.
Hawass said an investigation has been launched to find those behind the theft. "The police and army plan to follow up with the criminals already in custody," he added.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-2-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I actually find this hard to believe.... As I remember, the Museum is one of the most massive, secure & guarded buildings in Egypt. Maybe it was an inside job ?? (Official Looting probably) .........

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by highseer
I actually find this hard to believe.... As I remember, the Museum is one of the most massive, secure & guarded buildings in Egypt. Maybe it was an inside job ?? (Official Looting probably) .........

it's mubarak....
he couldn't take it anymore and he left with some "memories" ...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by leaualorin

it's mubarak....

Not so far fetched actually and it may have been already transported to Romania via the underground "tunnel"

Check here ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by highseer

You know, highseer, that really is the first thing that came to mind for me. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by leaualorin

it's mubarak....

Not so far fetched actually and it may have been already transported to Romania via the underground "tunnel"

Check here ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

oh no ... You all ATS-ers know about ROMANIA?
Damm ...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

hahaha! well said! but serriosley if its been stolen for a non profertable purpose im assuming someone is planing some kind of ritual to do with tutankamun and his parrents.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I was just reading about this online. It's sad and completely unnecessary.

When all this started over there the one thing I thought of were the antiquities in the museum and the pyramids. There was no need to smash and steal items from the museum. It's their history, one Egyptians seem to be very proud of and yet some smash and grab? It has to be about money sadly.

Hawass had this to say on a site I was reading.

Hawass also said he no longer considers Egypt's museums and archaeological treasures to be safe, reversing his statement earlier in the month that authorities had secured all historical sites.

source

So what will they do? Are they still concerned about the artifacts currently there? Will they move some?

I hope the artifacts are found and returned to where they belong.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
i want to say as an egyptian:

ANYTHING STOLEN..ESPECIALLY FROM THE AMARNA PERIOD...IS FOR FOREIGN TRADE...(whether instigated by a foreigner or not)....SO CUSTOMS CONTROL...TIME TO EARN YOUR MONEY!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The entire uprising and riots were a cover for one of the worlds most daring art robberies.

The movie with be out next summer. Starring Mark Walburg & Angelina Jolie

Don't know why that popped into my head, LOL

Seems like every big robbery movie they stage this HUGE scenario for a distraction......

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
i would do the same - everyone should have plans how and what to loot in case of a catastrophic event...and these artefacts stay by the looter (or the client) because you can't sell them so i think its ok...not in the egypt case but in case of a catastrophic event...seriously if the world goes down i want my cave stuffed with nice things^^ so the future race or whatever thinks i was a king (or at least important) or if i survive i have artefacts to show for the next generation...
edit on 13-2-2011 by Hessdalen because: i am stupid

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by highseer

That's exactly what happened in Iraq when things went down there. I bet my salary that it was an inside job (or at least people looking for very specific things.)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Jeez, I knew this would happen...

I HATE looters with a flaming passion. They destroy, they cause problems. I know they wanted Mubarak out, but why does every revolution have to be at the cost of history! Hawass has been trying for years just to prevent stuff from getting destroyed, and now it's understandable that he doesn't feel anything is safe. People will probably want to "tour" and "touch" and "take souvenirs" of everything while the military is trying to get a foothold on things.

Sorry, I'm an aspiring Egyptologist and this just boils my blood.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

It's only been stolen not destroyed.

So i guess it will end up back in the museum when the looters get the right amount for it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
You never know it could be used to do some secret vodoo thingy (like in Indiana Jones :lol

It indeed is sad...but is there some reason why these unique 8 pieces were stolen?

Or I could be reading too much fiction.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

I'm somewhat curious to that myself. Why these specific 8 pieces?

Wasn't it said a couple of weeks ago that it was actually the military that had been caught looting? Or maybe I'm wrong?

I love your avatar btw!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

"The regime wants the people to be against the revolution so they want them to think it's unstable," adds Osama Lotfi, a lawyer who blames the looting on interior ministry forces

Source

Now this is an older article from during the height of the build up. The thing you want to remember is that the museum stands next to the Interior Ministry building and all reports from that time indicate that when the citizens arrived ahead of the army, the looters were already present. I remember several other reports from that time that mentioned Interior Monistry ID being found on the looters as well.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Nope, the military credited the citizens for forming human chains to surround the museum to keep it safe. Other reports state that the looters gained access to the museum through the roof. All of which point to the Interior Ministry

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Could be Mubarak's people... Also might have been a contracted heist run by Xe or something. Chances are that this was a special order heist by someone very wealthy. You cannot sell something like this on the open market, so it has to be a private collector.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join