It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confirmed: Eight major pieces stolen from Egypt museum:

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
more than likely looted or smuggled out of country to preserve them from being destroyed by radicals if they came into power

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

It is perhaps fortunate that more items weren't taken.

I can only barely recall my one visit to the museum, was nearly 20 years ago. There was a lot to see, needed more than just the few hours we had time for that day....

Still....is a very sad truth that many, many, many relics of Human history are also long gone (although, these eight may yet turn up again). What we actually have, from history, is but the tiniest tip of an enormous iceberg....and much will never even be missed, as their very existence has been lost to the ages and mists of time....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by Proteus33
....smuggled out of country to preserve them from being destroyed by radicals ...

One could hope.
edit on 13 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by highseer
I actually find this hard to believe.... As I remember, the Museum is one of the most massive, secure & guarded buildings in Egypt. Maybe it was an inside job ?? (Official Looting probably) .........

Having been there, I would bet this is bang on the money. There are lots of police inside and outside makng sure that nothing goes awry. You are not allowed to take photos of the exhibits, incase the camera flash damages them. The police do a pretty good job of upholding this, unless you happen to slip a few notes into their hand, they then turn a blind eye. I saw this happen when I was there, corrupt isn't the word!
edit on 13-2-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Ah thankyou for clearing that up, I couldn't quite remember what had been said about it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

US Embassy Van, Getaway Vehicle?

Connect the dots:

1) Jan28, 20 Embassy vehicles "stolen"

Van stolen from U.S. Embassy may have hit Cairo protesters
The statement noted that "a number of U.S. Embassy vehicles" were stolen on January 28, when Egyptian police abandoned their posts in droves around Cairo. Toner later clarified that 20 vehicles had been taken.

"Since these vehicles were stolen, we have heard reports of their use in violent and criminal acts," the statement said, alluding to the possibility that one might be the van shown on the YouTube video. "If true, we deplore these acts and perpetrators."

The U.S. release added, "We are certain that no embassy employees or diplomats were involved."

2) Jan 28, Van speeds from Tahrir Square, adjacent to Museum

3)31 Jan, Museum allowed to be Vandalized as a smokescreen. Vandals caught to serve as fall-guys.

King Tut statue among missing Egypt treasures
Hawass earlier told CNN that "criminals" had broken into the museum on the night of January 28

Hawass said January 31 the intruders had vandalized statues and display cases and stolen jewelry from the museum gift shop.

A number of suspects were apprehended shortly after the break-in, some of them with antiquities in their possession, Hawass said.

Does Frank Wisner Jr., Special envoy from US, and close personal friend of Mubarak, and high level CIA operative, have an alibi? He supposedly didn't get there until 31Jan. Where are these "20 stolen vehicles" now?
edit on 13-2-2011 by pthena because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join