It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy theories are a business too! Be careful!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I was just thinking about conspiracy theories earlier. I came to the realization that a lot of conspiracy theories are peddled in an effort to make money. The good ones are the ones with staying power and the ones that people end up believing the longest. I do not consider myself a skeptic on conspiracy theories. I will weigh them for their own merit. I DO however notice that when the same things gets said over and over, and the same conspiracy gets repeated-- it's not as if it's truer, or any more meaningful than before. People are trying to sell us this stuff. This includes stuff like the HAARP, chemtrails, books on 9-11 truth, spiritual stuff, documentaries... while are people who believe in this stuff, like how there area lot of people here who don't believe in the official version of 9-11 (I don't either, so don't put me in that category), I've just come to the realization that the only people that we can trust are ourselves and we can't just take other people at their words.

So, just beware. I guess this is the conspiracy behind the conspiracy theories. I know I probably should have realized this a while back... but even if we like something or agree with a conspiracy theory, we should still be skeptical of them. Just because we're not an MSM tool doesn't mean that we shouldn't criticize these sources with the same flare we would of something of the MSM.

I'm not saying don't believe in conspiracy theories-- but just be skeptical of the ones peddling them as well.
edit on 12-2-2011 by Frankidealist35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Conspiracy theories are like a magnet, it's very easy to get sucked into all this crap people talk about, but you need to try to hold yourself back.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jake93

Pretty much. We should try to be skeptical of everyone and what their motivations are and what their purpose is. If someone is doing it for free than it's probably more honest but if someone is trying to sell you something you should just be a little careful that they might try to be more sensational to sell more books.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
wait, you mean people like Zechariah Sitchin and David Icke will just make up a bunch of hogwash that no serious person could possibly believe just so they can sell books? say it ain't so! yes, critical thought is your friend...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Ok i am writing without even reading the op.
I will however read it after i write my view.
You say conspiracy theory are a business tool, like this board? or web advertising on conspiracy sites?
If there is a buck to be made, someone will make it.
Now to read the posts.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yes, there's always someone who will find a way to make a buck off of anything. There are people who make money from people picking their nose (hint: the paparazzi taking pictures of Britney Spears).

There is a big market for conspiracy theory outside of the US and Europe. Most Americans don't know it because they get their news from the "fair and balanced" TV news. To them, conspiracy theory is paranoid hogwash because Sean Hannity and the History Channel said so.

My guess is that the gist of the OP is that there is also a market for disinfo. This is not only true, but sometimes life tends to imitate art. In other words, sometimes wacky conspiracy theories are used as the basis for real corporate policy.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
... and there is nothing wrong with that. There are TONS of FAKE crap all over this board, just like there are LOADS of FAKE conspiracy theories in the books of bookstores. Visitors to this site equal profit for the owners thru ads, and profits to the book authors thru buys.

The ENTIRE conspiracy industry is based off of profit, not truth. There is a bit of truth there, but still, it is not the guiding light for the majority... or even the vast minority.

... the REAL idiots are the people who believe the load of crap, and start their own "truth web pages" which amounts to NOTHING MORE THAN FREE ADVERTISING for those who are peddling BS.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Of course there are people who make money off these things, but that is a very shallow view of what is going on in this regard.

We are, essentially, trying to weed out the criminals on this planet. This is the proper responsibility of our governments, but they have never done an extremely good job of it, and now most of them are so completely infiltrated that their "investigations" can no longer be trusted. It's a sad situation. But an illusion created to make money? I think not!

You really have to study it and get enough of a feel for how people operate that you can begin to discern the truth from the crap yourself. But to deny that crime exists in high places and has at least a loose plan and organization behind it is to turn your back on history.

Who was running the slave trade? Was that criminal? Who was running the opium trade? Was that criminal? Who was taking huge profits on bogus securities? Was that criminal? Have I made my point? These groups used to be more overt. Now they are more covert. But crimes and human disasters continue on this planet. Someone must be causing them! A lot of us are tired of our governments running away from these issues and not carrying out their responsibilities. After all, they have the firepower to do something about it. Our only "firepower" is the truth, and that is really just an idea. But it is powerful enough to create change, and so we work.

So you need to make a decision. Are you going to be on the side that thinks everything is fine and that we have nothing to worry about? Or are you going to take the attitude that something can be done about the bad situations on earth, and learning more about them and what is causing them is an important step in that direction?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

Don't be so quick to judge where I am. I am pretty much on the side of truth. I just am skeptical of anyone who sells truth. It just seems to me that a lot of conspiracy theories (the popular ones) like HAARP, illuminati stuff, bloodlines, and other stuff like chemtrails are just distractions whereas the ones about the real secret elite meeting societies are the ones that really matter. But people seem to perpetuate the stuff about HAARP-- because the industry tells them too, and without that they would be without a job.

reply to post by vcwxvwligen

That's pretty much where I am going with this. As much as we might hate on the corporate media-- there are corporate conspiracy theories as well. So when we're told a lot of this stuff-- it's coming from people who want to make a quick buck, or sell things to us. There might be people who are sincere out there... but be careful!

top topics

join