It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love in an elevator, livin' it up till I hit the ground!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

There always has to be on in the whole bunch, doesn't there?

While some people try to look for positive influence and changes, there are always those that wish to take things in... different directions.

The only thing I wish is that that elevator would be stuck with you in it alone to suffer the fate of your own experiment.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I just wanted to add that studies have recently show that giving a coworker, a simple touch like on the elbow, can temporary improve their mood up to 20%.

Because we all do feel so attached.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Elevators are close quarters,you have a nearly intimate encounter with people,you are essentially in their space and the self absorption that you observe is a defense mechanism. Much like trying to strike up a conversation in a restroom. People will block you off when they feel somewhat exposed.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well, OP, I loved the way you wrote your post. From the introduction to the final point: the result. It felt like I was watching a movie. When I started reading, I couldn't stop.

I don't know what city or country you work out of but if you were in NY ( maybe you are) you would get different results.

As you start smiling, people will think you are crazy; they would dismiss you without saying hello, would walk away from you; they will avoid getting on the same elevator you are, or they wold ask you what is wrong with you.
If you are a female, the males would think you are hitting on them or that you like them, and you would get an unwanted attention. "Hell in a elevator, not moving fast enough".

Once again, I loved your post, specially the title.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have to say that I am one of the people you initially described when it comes to elevators. However, I do ALWAYS look people in the eyes when they get on, give a little head nod, and I am the first to ask which floor they would like.

However, some people just don't like talking, much less to strangers. I know that if someone random talked to me on an elevator, about some random subject - one of two things would happen.

A. I wouldn't know anything about the subject and an awkward silence would occur.

B. I would know about the subject and respond, but feel awkward nonetheless.

And as far as someone touching me, that would certainly not improve my mood in the slightest unless it was a friend that I knew well. I'm just the type of person that enjoys my personal space and privacy, and would rather not have people grasping at me or elbowing me, because to me it would only annoy me and make the situation even more awkward.

I'm sure there are others like me that just would rather not speak, and would just find it kind of annoying to be confronted by someone. Some of us just aren't as social as others.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Whenever I'm on an elevator, which isn't often, I always do yo-yo tricks (yes, I do always have one on me).
Some people smile and start chatting, some people get kinda twitchy and frown.

Either way, I get the same entertainment value.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is part of the solution to humanities problems.

It really is.

Not just on elevators, but everywhere and everyone.

Thank You OP for being part of the solution and refusing to let our world suck.

I am happy to see that a lot of other posters have the same ideas.
That means there is a better tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
S&F!

We're lucky -- we usually get a lot of smiles in the elevator where I live because we almost always have our goofy-looking dog with us. It's amazing how quickly the floppy ears and wagging tail break down peoples' stand-offish demeanor. Dogs & kids have it right.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
What a lovely post OP, Thank you for sharing it. Very well written as well.
It is great to hear about something positive and how such a small thing can make big change.

My sentiments, too, Libertygal!

One thing I noticed a while back when I just started smiling more at work is that MY attitude changed for the better. And when I stood in a slowly moving checkout line and realized I could choose how I felt about it, smiling made a difference.

I love the Charlie Chaplin song "Smile", with lyrics by Turner and Parsons.

I think I will bump this thread once in a while.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
I think I will bump this thread once in a while.

Ok. So here it is again. For new readers to enjoy.

Anyone try something similar? Please share your results.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join