It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding FEAR and the HUMAN CONDITION

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Fear - Fear is an emotional response to a perceived threat. It is a basic survival mechanism occurring in response to a specific stimulus, such as pain or the threat of danger.

As I have dissected and analyzed what I call “the human condition” most of my life and I have concluded that the root to essentially all of our “conflicts” are spawned from FEAR.

Fear is the most primal of emotions it’s the foundation of our survival as the most paranoid avoided death and continued to procreate. Unfortunately in the “civilized” world this is becoming problematic because the “paranoia” is being applied “universally” throughout the civilization with Laws.

The civilized structure does not give room for individual approach to “fear” and individual approach to “solutions” to that fear. Instead general sweeping laws that affect everyone are enacted, while this seems beneficial to the super paranoid it is very problematic to those who are less afraid. This is where the few ruin it for the many.
There are different “things” that initiate the fear response as well as several different types of fear that spawn different types of problems, ironically the decisions and solutions we come up with out of fear are very problematic in and of themselves.

DEATH:

Death is probably the most obvious and most powerful initiator of fear. If you fear death you fear anything that can cause death and respond to those “threats” of death with decisions of how to act, and solutions on how to avoid “Death”. These decisions plague our ability to life “Free” lives.

Perceptions of “threats” to life are not universal. This creates a conflict with a desire for “freedom” that is the common desire of common man.

Because the fear of death is so strong the solutions to avoid death are also very strong.
The methods typically follow the well known problem, reaction, solution model.

Problem = Death
Reaction = Fear
Solution = contraction of freedoms, restrictions, laws, avoidance, punishment, negative reinforcement which requires the instilling of more FEAR; fear of consequences into people (from citations to prison) to gain the adherence to this “solution” to the problem.

This creates another set of problem, reaction, solution:
Problem = Restriction of freedoms
Reaction = Fear
Solution = expansion of freedoms, rebellion to previous solution, etc.

These two “conditions” of the human psyche cause a lot of conflict and turmoil to the human race. As we are too afraid to be free. We create a “pseudo free state” of existence where everything is “conditional” to the adherence to “solutions” to the problem “death”.

Essentially as fear grows freedoms shrink it’s a contraction expansion model. You cannot have a freely afraid society.

FREEDOM:

The desire for freedom in all its many forms is within us all. We consider the constriction of these freedoms a “necessary sacrifice” to the fears of what may kill us or cause us harm. However the “constriction of these freedoms” is not universally agreed on as the perceptions of “threats” aren’t even universally agreed on.
Freedom in its true meaning is a very frightening implication to those who are hell bent on survival. The freedom for one to arm themselves is often a very frightening thought to many. The restriction of that freedom for one to arm themselves is very frightening to many others.
Ultimately this is a never ending dance of contention/problems.

The only thing that is UNIVERSAL is FEAR. Everyone is afraid of something and that fear is the #1 enemy of freedom. Whether it’s mental, physical, or spiritual freedom FEAR is what hinders the expansion of freedoms in all areas of our existence.

The world we live in:

FEAR is everywhere, it’s in everything. Fear makes you malleable to those who mold.

A man with fear is no longer a man but a mere puppet for I can direct the course of his life with ease.

The whole concept behind the Legal systems around the world is to instill yet MORE FEAR so you avoid breaking the “LAWS, RULES, and COMMANDMENTS”
If you DO NOT OBEY the laws, rules or commandments you receive:

Hell is the FEAR consequence of old religion:

Prison is the FEAR consequence of legal systems:

Bankruptcy/debt is the FEAR consequence of not obeying the rules of “finance”:

Slavery is the FEAR of your FREEDOMS being taken away:

ANARCHY/RIOTING is the FEAR of FREEDOM gone bad or too much freedom:

Police are the FEAR of ANARCHY/Rioting

The government is well aware of the power of fear:
www.ipd.anl.gov...
Terrorism isn’t a recent “thing” …it’s been around so long as man has been alive.

Fear feeds itself and grows to overwhelm and overtake the mental, physical, and spiritual aspect of human kind. THIS is the human condition…THIS is where the suffering comes from…THIS is your enemy…
It’s been said to death but there is nothing to fear but fear itself.

It wasn’t until recently I opened my eyes to the amount of fear perpetuated on these forums, truth or not. It is amazing how fear weaves its way into even the best intentions and taints the very purpose of the message.
Here is a small list of ATS threads that demonstrate what we all here are guilty of being a victim to:
abovetopsecret.com...
abovetopsecret.com...
abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As I have thought more and more about the human condition and the predicament of Fear Vs. Freedom we find ourselves torn over, I’ve decided I, personally, am done with it. (or at least I’m going to try very hard)

I’m done with the fear it’s too overwhelming and controlling on one’s life and happiness to warrant as necessary.
The conscious awareness of what FEAR does is empowering, as I have found when people know better they do better. Knowing what fear does to you and your desires for a free life and enjoying your life to its fullest may just be enough to bring some happiness back into this world.

Maybe it’s something some of you want to consider in light of the world situation. I have found it peaceful acceptance of my own mortality and those whom I love that this world and this life and all the relationships are not forever. Coming to terms and acceptance of this rids you of a great deal of the overwhelming control that FEAR has on you.

So before you post your next: “WARNING XXX” thread or “RED ALERT URGENT XXX” thread…think to yourself very carefully, is it worth it? Will it bring happiness to the rest of my days? Will it change my mortality? Will it change my loved ones mortality?

The world we live in today RUNS on fear.
If you really want to fight TPTB or TERRORISM or whatever...work on ridding yourself and your life of FEAR...

When FEAR is the solution to FEAR…you have no choice but to go mad...

`~sly~

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The world is changing...fast.

Hope, belief, possibilities, strength and most importantly, actions are overcoming fear more and more across the world.

We need to be part of the momentum that cancels out the spoonfed fearmongering that is being seen for what it is by more eyes every day.

Fight fear, it's a coward.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well put. S@F. But unfortunately, things have gone way too far, and it seems that FEAR IS the only solution to FEAR. Personally, I am not afraid of any government, but their mindless goons which are going to tear me apart the same instant I am becoming uncomfortable to their masters. Governments are a bunch of gloating, impotent, lazy lumps of lard, that is why they have built so many walls and trenches between them and the masses of people who work and pay for their fancy lives. They need to learn something they seem to have forgotten a long time ago; to fear and respect those masses. Because whatever anyone may say, respect has its deepest and strongest roots in fear. Fear is good, that's why they are using it against us. And it works very well, as you can see all over the world. Peaceful protests against those nasty demons are dumb and useless. They simply do not work where there are no eyes to see, no ears to listen. Try singing Kumbaya to a wild boar while it is charging at you. Make sure you have a powerful, loaded shotgun close by, though...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by trisvonbis
Well put. S@F. But unfortunately, things have gone way too far, and it seems that FEAR IS the only solution to FEAR. Personally, I am not afraid of any government, but their mindless goons which are going to tear me apart the same instant I am becoming uncomfortable to their masters. Governments are a bunch of gloating, impotent, lazy lumps of lard, that is why they have built so many walls and trenches between them and the masses of people who work and pay for their fancy lives. They need to learn something they seem to have forgotten a long time ago; to fear and respect those masses. Because whatever anyone may say, respect has its deepest and strongest roots in fear. Fear is good, that's why they are using it against us. And it works very well, as you can see all over the world. Peaceful protests against those nasty demons are dumb and useless. They simply do not work where there are no eyes to see, no ears to listen. Try singing Kumbaya to a wild boar while it is charging at you. Make sure you have a powerful, loaded shotgun close by, though...

Respect through Fear is a dictatorship and tyranny on any scale whether it be intimidation, terrorism or what have you. A government that respects its people through fear is no better then people who respect their government out of fear. Its a false foundation that leads to madness and suffering.

Fear is uncomfortable and stress-full and man will always seek to rid himself of it, unfortunately our methods of removing fear are to instill more fear? Now tell me how much sense that makes? Its a sickness...If governments feared the people they would seek to destroy the fear people tried to rule it by, this is where the division lies.

You cannot gain respect through fear its resented and unsustainable, just as you are seeing the people rise up to that fear in Egypt.

Being free of fear is not about singing kumbaya or hippy peace movements. Its about ridding yourself of the mechanism by which you are controlled. Its the mechanism that ultimately strips you of every bit of freedom you can possibly have.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Welcome, it's good to have you.
I divorced fear some time ago.
It has been very liberating.

I had to first define fear for myself. and then decide what was the opposite of fear as defined by me.
I came to the conclusion that "fear" was merely a resistance to whatever it was that was being feared.
If courage was the opposite of fear then that meant that courage was really just "acceptance".

When it comes right down to it, the "Fear" that most people have is fear of death.
This is a shame. It has been conditioned into us from birth, and for very good reason as you have pointed out.
It is a form of control. People who are afraid to die will do ANYTHING to remain alive.

Do I resist death or do I accept it is really the question we all need to ask ourselves.
I accept it. I accept it as innevitable. It WILL happen to all of us.
I happen to have a leg up on alot of people because I have left my body only to find that I was still alive and feeling alot better than I ever had before. This is reassuring...to me at least.

Once I accepted death all of the fear just....went away. poof....gone!!!
I found myself feeling very liberated and...well....FREE!
What can any man hold over my head now?
I have beaten the game. I can't be controlled in the same way any longer.

Nowadays the only thing I fear is for the safety of my children. If there is a way to control me it is through my children.
I don't like it but, that's the way it is.
One step at a time I guess.

great thread, thanks.

edit to add: One of my favorite quotes regarding fear

Courage is not the absence of fear,
but, the conquest of it.

I invite all those who haven't done so already to stop resisting the innevitable departure of your bio space suits
and begin accepting what lies beyond. It's really not that bad from what I've seen. Most people would call it...Beautiful.
edit on 12-2-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Thanks for the reply.

The more I concentrate on ridding myself of my conditioned response to fear things I have like you said felt the most free I have ever felt

It is a mental freedom as I was stripped of worry, stress, anxiety.
Its a physical freedom as I realized this is merely a temporary physical existence that I cannot keep forever.
Its a spiritual freedom as I realized the physical, material world is the illusion.

I don't consider myself a metaphysical person but the more you focus on ridding yourself of fear and the more you actually do so, the more metaphysical everything starts to seem. Fear binds us to the physical world, and blinds us from seeing anything outside of this physical box.

Also, as a side not I have noticed that the less I live in fear the more I actually enjoy very simplistic things that I never realized I took for granted.

See when you accept you could die any second from any random thing and that your attachment to everything here will be gone, you tend to slow down and enjoy each second more.

I used to take eating for granted, now I try and savor every bite, smells, senses, everything has seemed to slow down and be better than the rushed version.

I have fear for my daughter and family still but like you said one step at at time.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Fight or flight.

You said it.

It is a conditioned response that is manipulated via a well orchestrated control system.

We are programmed to know that fighting will lead us nowhere, thus flight (fear) is our only option.

Children stories told us a cornered and hurt animal is the most dangerous kind and we are pretty close to that state globally.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Interesting... Have noticed that much of the fear today is result of a couple things ..
A. Society where government regulates almost all risk from peoples life - i.e helmet laws for motorcyclists / bicyclists, mandatory insurance laws, fireworks bans, seatbelt laws etc..
B. Lack of understanding of other people / cultures around the world due to deliberate misinformation by governments, people not taking the time to learn and understand ( in western countries most people stop study when they leave school - in asia people continue to study and learn throughout their life ) cultures not taught much in schools in the west.
C. The dumbing down of the population via a broken education system.
These factors lead to a populace that is easily controlled by fear .. Thus the fearmongering by so-called "leaders" to support their lust for power and bloodsoaked agendas.
Good thread S&F

new topics

top topics

join