It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New madrid area experiences "cryoseism"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
indianaweatheronline.wordpress.com...
Hopefully, the above is in link form. This is interesting to me since I live within the New Madrid area. Supposedly, folks who live in eastern Indiana and western Ohio are questioning "loud booms" and are being told they were most likely "cryoseisms". I personally didnt hear anything myself.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
sometimes we hear loud booms here...usually in the middle of the night..one time about 10 years ago the boom was so loud and so strong it made the house shake for several seconds.
Come to find out they incinerate the weapons at general dynamics (about 4 miles from me) and sometimes they cause explosions. The boom heard 10 years ago hit the news early the next morning because people thought we had had an earthquake.
General dynamics sucks! They dumped radioactive material in the local lake (crab orchard lake) and now they warn against swimming and fishing there..when I was growing up we used to swim in that lake all the time..

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Thankyou for showing interest in this topic. I thought with all the hype about FEMA inquiring about emergency items, possibly for the area surrounding the New Madrid zone, people would like to hear about this. I think something "smells" funny about this explaination. Although I never heard of cryoseism before, doesnt mean that it doesnt exist. My issue is however, the short amount of time spent researching this before issuing "conclusive" findings.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
With all the earthquake hype lately, anything is worth posting about it.
Are these cyroseisms caused by fault slippage?
or is there some other explanation?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

That is a new one for me. The fact that people heard loud booms reminded me that when the birds died in Arkansas there was a loud boom heard and there was no snow or ice, or low temp. There seems to be so much cover up of anything to do around the New Madrid. Frost quake I will have to look that up. No dead birds though.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
With all the earthquake hype lately, anything is worth posting about it.
Are these cyroseisms caused by fault slippage?
or is there some other explanation?

Well, I dont know if its considered "slippage" or fracturing. I first learned about this on the weather channel, and they do a good job explaining what cryoseism is... but my gut feeling is thats it too is a bald faced lie. I came across information that I havent been able to verify with 100% accuracy, about undrground facilities of some sort, beneath the area of Kokomo, Indiana. People for years have been complaining to authorities about an annoying, persistent, low pitched hum that wont go away. Some speculate that this facility is operated by using diesel generators for power, and that is the source of the "HUM". This may have nothing to do with "cryoseism" but it indicates there may be underground activities taking place in the midwest, that some dont want us to know about.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Well, ACCU weather was up early this morning giving an indepth story on Frost quakes.

You're sound asleep on a cold, wintry night, and all of a sudden a loud boom wakes you up. A few things on your shelves rattle for a second or two, then all is silent.

Was it an earthquake? Maybe, but the real culprit is likely a frost quake, a geological phenomenon brought on by winter weather. Unlike earthquakes, frost quakes are non-technonic seismic events, meaning they are not caused by the shifting of the Earth's tectonic plates.

www.accuweather.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Thankyou for your help on this. I am still learning and am always curious, and often skeptical. I now understand more about "frost quakes" but, why Im wondering in the almost 50 years of observations... Ive never heard tell of this occurring any where else. Not to say it hasnt but, well I just dont believe the official explaination.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I live in Northern Indiana - we have had booms that shook the house and windows. No earthquakes reported at the time except one a couple of months ago that was in a very unusual location. Interesting as I had not heard of cryoseism (frost quakes). We had these booms in the summer as well, so I am a bit confused and need to read more about this. S @ F

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I live in Northern Indiana - we have had booms that shook the house and windows. No earthquakes reported at the time except one a couple of months ago that was in a very unusual location. Interesting as I had not heard of cryoseism (frost quakes). We had these booms in the summer as well, so I am a bit confused and need to read more about this. S @ F

I dont mind telling you I used to live in Gary, then Portage. Sometimes when the steel mills pour their slag into water to cool it off, it actually does create a "boom" and can shake things a bit. I also remember, a couple E.Qs while living there( two). They were relatively small in the grand scheme of things. Nice to hear from ya!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Hi dasiy, Like you I have never heard of it before, I can see it happening under glaciers.. A few years ago we had a quake in Memphis that threw me out of the bed, but the news kept saying it was lighting. But online seismic sites had it as a quake.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

It was most likely a quake - lightening doesn't knock you out of bed unless you are shocked or struck. Take good care friend!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
the whole are affected by these "frost quakes" also seems to be getting a good share of pipeline explosions. either the new madrid is acting up, or the freak winter storms are taking a toll on the area.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
the whole are affected by these "frost quakes" also seems to be getting a good share of pipeline explosions. either the new madrid is acting up, or the freak winter storms are taking a toll on the area.

Seems "fracking", is being suspected by some. I provide a link fom someone who has uploaded two Indiana maps, side by side. It explains where Indiana supposedly is going to benifit greatly from fracking if they can get away with it.ssgreenberg.name...
edit on 12-2-2011 by G.A.G. because: forgot link

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

I have a friend who moved to South Dakota not long ago from Alabama. He has them there too. He said they are such a regular phenomena lately they could be used as an alarm clock.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I grew up in southern Illinois and we heard the booms regularly. I was always told they were 'sonic booms' from jets. When we had a good sized quake in Lawrenceville in the mid 1980s, it felt the same, just longer lasting. I wonder now if the booms I grew up with were quake-related, and not jets at all. :/

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I live east of Muncie, Indiana and have felt a few small quakes here since 1989, but there weren't any "booms" with them like there was with the Kokomo quake at the end of December and the Frost quake last week. They were both extremely loud and as I live on a busy state highway i thought a semi had hit someone or something outside of my house.
The Kokomo quake was strong enough to damage my foundation and some walls in my home, and was a very scary experience for myself and my 3 border collies--they were plastered to me they were so frightened.
It is my humble opinion that the New Madrid Fault Line is awakening after a long rest, but it could be something else is behind it all.

top topics

join