It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Tell or Not To Tell...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
DISCLAIMER: This is purely hypothetical, nothing more, nothing less!

If you heard legends throughout your childhood of things from a not too distant past (I didnt know where else to put this) being buried relatively close to your location, would you go look for them?

For a frame of reference, I had heard stories about ships buried in the desert (Im in California) and the load the ship(s) carried was worth a fortune today. Search for Lost Ships of the Desert if you want more info.

If you were to find them, would you take the treasure or leave it there? Would you mark the spot and come back with more people? Would you just sit back and take it all in?

I would love the opportunity to find one of these ships, just for the historical value. The treasure would be awesome, but, I just dont think I would take it. Call me naive, whatever. I think the whole thing would be humbling, so much so, that I would be awestruck at the magnitude of what I had found.

I wouldnt tell anyone where I had found it, either. I think some things are better left to legends and stories. I would like to keep that part of my life to myself. Maybe tell my kids or grandkids one day. I would just like to sit back and appreciate what it is. Touch it. Admire it. Etc.

The question Im asking is, what would you do, and why?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

I think if it is something of historical or of archaeological value you would be remiss to not inform the local University of your find. Unless it is on your property and nobody else can lay claim to the treasure you would have a hard time legally hanging onto it anyway. And believe me if you have a fortune in ancient treasure someone will notice.

So I guess I would inform the local University and ask to be included in the excavation and study.

The problem with keeping it to yourself and leaving it be is that it will be found eventually and if it is found by a looter they will destroy the site and any historical / archaeological value that could have been gleaned.

You're in Cal, there are tons of respected Archaeology programs at many universities, I'm sure there is one close enough to want to go take a look.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hold onto it for as long as possible, especially if you can keep it safe and in pristine condition.

...and above all else, DO NOT mention it to anybody. Family is an exception off-course.
edit on 10-2-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I would take it home for a few days, then think what to do with it.

I wouldn't keep it forever though, I think that could be very selfish.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket
I had heard stories about ships buried in the desert ...If you were to find them, would you take the treasure or leave it there? Would you mark the spot and come back with more people? Would you just sit back and take it all in?

An archaeological site? I'd report it. A bucketful of loot on an old homestead? Well, I'd be awhile sorting that out.

Self edit to say we don't have the treasure laws they have in the UK.
edit on 10-2-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

Document it 100%.

Give it to the world.

Then take it on a world-wide tour!

Honesty is the best policy.

Secrets destroy.

Peace

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If the same situation arose in the UK you better be very careful not to tell a soul about it as the queen would automatically get to keep it so she could buy her swans more golden hats

edit on 10-2-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
If the same situation arose in the UK you better be very careful not to tell a soul about it as the queen would automatically get to keep it so she could buy her swans more golden hats

I'm pretty sure the UK has a treasure trove law that allows for a split of the 'goodies'...its value, anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I just ask because these "Lost ships of the Desert" stories are few and far between. I think it would be amazing to head out there and see a mast or ship or something cool, but, dont know that I would want to tell anyone after seeing it. I mean, really, imagine trying to explain that you followed your instincts, found a ship in the desert, describe in great detail, every little bit, mark the location with a smart phone GPS App, come back out, and the sands have shifted completely covering the ship back up. Imagine the things people would say to discredit you for the rest of your life.

I would just like to see one of the ships, for myself, so I know that there is some truth to the old legends, and if something as improbable as a Spanish Galleon is in the middle of the California desert, then maybe other legends aren't as made up as some would have you believe.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
My grandmother bought a house in the UK that used to be the home of Cistercian monks. There was a cellar that led deep into the ground and apparently a huge tunnel system underground, where they used to travel back and forth to other properties etc... If you live in the UK you might be aware of these underground tunnels, it was in the Castleford area in West Yorkshire, but they were also in the Ferrybridge and pontefract area too. Needless to say she cemented up the basement because it freaked her out. Me. I still hold it against her! I would have loved to have gone exploring down there, imagine what fun a kid could have down there, alas though its filled with rubble and bricked off. I am sur there wasn't a treasure trove down there as the Cistercian's were "peaceful sheep farmers" and the conspiracy surrounding them is so vast that I am 100% sure any property they had was thouroughly looted and destroyed, but to have a chance to explore down there would have been phenomenal!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

Just the idea itself is awesome. I would love it if I had a cellar. Living in Southern California, we dont have much in the way of cellars, basements, underground anything, given the nature of Earthquakes and what not.

I would love to hear legends from everyone's areas. There has to be some.

top topics

join