It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Million Mentally Ill poeple running round with Guns....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

That's another discussion, maybe. For the purposes of defining mental illness in regard to gun control, I'm just saying that there might be factors there. It seems that the incidents of murders, suicides, and murder suicides, mostly with guns, is on the increase since we've entered into these recent wars.I don't have any hard and fast statistics but have been meaning to try to find some. The reporting of these incidents too could be viewed as propaganda, I suppose.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Sort of germane to the discussion of mental illness and diagnosis, do you recall the New Freedom Commission, and the stir that caused? This could be twice as explosive.

The New Freedom Commission is an Orwellian bureaucratic report on governmental policy. As long as we rely on government to do studies on mental health, we are going to continue to get reams of reports targeting the mental health of the population. What I believe we the people should be doing is challenging the so called "expertise" of a psychiatrist or psychologist when they are paraded as "experts" in a court of law. We should vigorously cross examine any so called mental health "expert" with the full on intent of impeaching their image as an expert. In psychoanalysis alone, there are several different schools of thought, including topographic theory, structural theory, ego psychology, modern conflict theory, and objects relations theory, to name just a few.

With all these various theories swimming around the pond of psychoanalysis, the very thought that a psychiatrist could be sworn in to testify in a court of law, all too often as a hostile witness to the defendant, while the fact remains that this single "expert" psychiatrist has embraced one or more theories of psychoanalysis in order to pretend expertise as a witness in a court of law. It is bad enough that we tolerate the dubious expertise of psychiatry in the "court of public opinion", its tolerance in the Halls of Justice should be leery and skeptical at the very least.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

i like the gun rules! entertaining...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
ZPD
Good point.
Government is not qualified to determine mental health. Their hired "professionals" are working under a conflict of interest so they are out as well.

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, It probably is an Over-exageration, However such individuals all have the potential to be a risk to themselvs and others if they get hold of a Gun, Or addmitedly any weapon for that matter

Know what's scary?
Most of these people are probably driving cars.......
(or holding political office)
edit on 10-2-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Lucidity you are just plain paranoid.
Or some kind of control freak.?
The problem is if you are going to have freedom, you have to be prepared to pay a certan price.
There are far more intstances of road rage, than shootings by madmen each year, but you do not wish to control cars.....
Those same two million people have the right to arm themselves for their own safety as everyone else in america.
Just because a person has some loosely dignosed mental illness. does not automatically bar him or her from
the right to protect themselves or their families from criminals .and or a tryanical government. like the ammendment says.....n
Nor does it preclude that they would be and even are in fact irresponsible gun owners...
One would have to have some very detailed statistics indeed to show this....
In fact id argue that the two million mental illness patients or diagnosees...commit far less gun crimes than the other two hundred million odd "sane" people do each year.....
Their is no telling when a person could run amok while driving a motor vehicle, and kill or maim many more people than any shooter.
But we dont see a ban on cars do we?
Your argument is moot at best.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Paranoid about what?

Which argument are you referring to?

Someone actually starred that post?

edit on 2/11/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Yeah as soon as they can prove they can prevent anything illegal from getting to whoever wants it then will talk about controls. Laws and regulation have never ever in the history of the world prevented people from getting drugs, guns, prostitutes, etc. etc etc.

On the other hand those very same laws have caused untold misery and suffering for victimless crimes, and victims of kingpins trafficking in those illegal venues for the massive profits the laws allow them to make. Al Capone publicly thanked the US government for passing the Halstead act (prohibition) allowing him to become filthy rich. It allowed him also to oppress and murder his fellow human beings in pursuit of maintaining those profits.

The ability of people to ignore the long bloody track record of drug and gun prohibition laws is amazing.

edit on 11-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
You mean we have 2 million democrats with guns.

Wow i did not now they even knew how to load them.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
If I were you I would worry about the psychopaths and megalomaniacs running and ruining our country. And these people are mentally ill according to who? Look at the source. Nuff said.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Sounds about right.

Add angry people to that mix, and we have ourselves a real pressure cooking going here.

That priest they locked up for having over 200 guns? Yeah. Makes you wonder what a person needs that many guns for.

How many screwdrivers did he have?
How many T.V's do you have? Surely you don't"need" more than one in the house?

We don't only buy things because we "need" them. Who's to say what you "need" or "don't need" ina "free" society"????? The govt? Gun phobic liberals?
How about "homophobes"?
I don't "Need" (really need) any "thing" I own.I can walk to the grocery mart, the computer just occupies a majority of my free time... we have a library downtown. I could brew coffee in the old campfire percolator on the camp stove ..

edit on 11-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'm personally inclined to believe those who apply evil intentions to any inanimate object are unbalanced...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm personally inclined to believe those who apply labels to any human beings are unbalanced...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I am continually amazed, in my own bigoted way, at the scare tactics and propaganda that comes out. Certainly i will not try to discredit the source\[ I don't know it or the study], but if all the left wing rhetoric came to fruition you would think that the ignorant gun toting right wing religous wackos would have killed each other off by now in mass shootings at Mickey D's over a parking space or at some violnce inducing competitive sporting event. It hasn't happened yet and is not going to. Do people have guns that don't need them ? Sure do, put really with over 40,000.000 that is forty million legal gun owners out there what is the true rate of violence? Prosecute gun crime not gun owners.

Respectfully

Reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

you'd be surprised how many of us there are that not only have guns but have served in the armed forces. Blanket statements don't do any of us an ounce of justice.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Or at least there could be, A new report is showing that There could be up to 2,000,000 Mentally ill individuals that either have Bought Guns or have the Means to do so.

Actually what the article says is that files on 2 million people are missing from the NICS back ground database. A database that has worked at over 98%. So basically less than 2% of the time does a person get a gun when they shouldn't.

Yes this is an issue. However, the NRA (largest gun owner sponsored lobby) backed the law to help fix this problem. It was passed under a democraticly controlled congress. They failed to fund it.

Your title is misleading, and posting a satirical shirt with no context proves you have a position to push. You don't have to type an opinion to let your agenda be known.

ETA:
There is something that a couple of posters seem to be missing. The article claims that the names of 2 million people ajudicated mentally defecient or defective. These aren't speculations about the number of people that own a gun and are mentally ill. These are people that have done something to warant the attention of the court.
edit on 11-2-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Actually what the article says is that files on 2 million people are missing from the NICS back ground database.

While the article does assert that files on 2 million people are "missing", a careful reading of the article reveals what they mean by "missing", which is that it has been estimated that around 2 million files have not been entered into the database. These files are not "missing", they just haven't been entered into any background data base, but that's not nearly as scary as screaming that sky is falling and two million crazy lunatics files are missing.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

That is what I meant by missing from the NICS database. I know the files are there in the computers at state and local departments. Just for a complex web of reasons they have not been sent to the FBI.

I thought I was clear on that point. I guess not.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Two milliion missing lunatics would be cool...
there could be some real fun to be had in that news cycle.
files,
not so much...
just a windows thing I guess...
edit on 11-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
That number would be much higher but the truth is a huge majority of libs don't really like guns.
Based on observation, they actually have a fear of guns.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Meatman

It's ridiculous to think everyone should have a gun, there are criminals and gang members who shouldn't, but the realistic point is when a bad person wants one there is no way to stop them from getting one. The gun control issue isn't about saving lives, it if was then we should start with something that kills more people every year like doctors. Their mistakes cause far more deaths every year than firearms. Somehow you never hear than in the media.

The second amendment is there to protect us from tyranny, so you better be buying ammo as I type this.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join