It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Million Mentally Ill poeple running round with Guns....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Or at least there could be, A new report is showing that There could be up to 2,000,000 Mentally ill individuals that either have Bought Guns or have the Means to do so.

BTW Dont start OP bashing when ive espressed no oppinion on this what-so-ever

he issue of gun control leapt back into the national discourse in the wake of January’s Tucson massacre.

But one of the most shocking gaps in the effort to prevent people prohibited by law from purchasing firearms continues to fly beneath the radar. Records of at least two million dangerously mentally ill individuals whose names should already be in the nation’s criminal background check system remain missing.

Tens of thousands of people's records that would fall into other legally disqualifying categories in the background check system are also missing, with convicted felons high on the list. Yet Raw Story confirmed with experts on gun control that records of those whose mental illness has been legally determined to be a danger to themselves or others far outnumber the unreported information of individuals in other prohibiting categories.

www.rawstory.com...

Couple of Million Jared's ?...Brilliant.

This is not another thread about gun control It merely identifies the problem that the "Wrong" People are able to Obtain firearms easilly because of insufficent control systems in place

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/26397c6361da.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 10/2/11 by TedHodgson because: elaborated

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
More likely than not they are tossing around "dangerously mentally ill" with a broad brush. People having gone through anything from depression treatment to anger management classes etc.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, It probably is an Over-exageration, However such individuals all have the potential to be a risk to themselvs and others if they get hold of a Gun, Or addmitedly any weapon for that matter

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Why not just poll the members here as to if they own guns? We seem to to be fairly representative of that group> lol

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

Touché My freind...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
So what? The "mentally ill" have rights too. According to some people, ANYONE who owns a gun is mentally ill.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, It probably is an Over-exageration, However such individuals all have the potential to be a risk to themselvs and others if they get hold of a Gun, Or addmitedly any weapon for that matter

The same can be said for every single person that walks this planet, you or somebody else could live a normal life then something happens to set you off and you go off the deep end. Every single person has a breaking point some are more fragile than others. That statistic is probably not even close to being accurate, I'd be more worried about the criminals that have acquired guns by illegal means then some average Joe that has occasional bouts with anger management.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

I believe this is a gov't sponsored study and it may be propaganda to make people feel unsafe around their neighbors. Remember that the gov't can't take guns away from people unless we give them up. Please don't let fear control your thinking process, make decisions with reason and the constitution didn't say we have a right to bear arms unless we find you mentally ill because you have taken anti depressants in the past....... Geez people mental illness is also lumped with obsessive compulsive disorder and arachniphobia. I don't want you owning a gun because you are afraid of spiders lol... think about it

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

Eek! Dont say things like that the Gun Jockies will be straight in here,
Of course The mentally ill have rights, Thats not the point, the point is that its not fair to
put some "Individuals" in the postion of owning a firearm,
Which is fair enough

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Since when does someone get to decide what normal is it is not that far from mentally ill in some cases. In the current world we live in freethinkers are considered mentally ill. If you disagree with the gov you are mentally ill. That will be the replacement for the t word that im scared to use online.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
mentally ill is going to be a major excuse for disarming the population and imprisoning millions in concentration FEMA camps...anyone who doesnt believe every government lie will be labeled as mentally ill and locked up for the "protection" of the population...unless you are stupid enough to believe the official 9/11 story, you will be locked up because you are mentally ill...if you believe that American have constitutional rights, you are mentally ill and will be imprisoned...if you dont think that people should be groped by the TSA in airports, on street corners, to get into the grocery store, you are mentally ill...you get the point, the propaganda started awhile ago, but the direction is unmistakable...only the insane believe in freedom...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Give me enough time and I could justifiably diagnose everyone on this planet mentally ill....THAT is how vague and arbitrary the term "mentally ill" is....and that is not an exaggeration...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I didn't know the U.S. government had that many employees ????

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Not sure who said it off the top of my head, but "it is no measure of sanity to be well-adjusted in a sick society".

The phrase "mentally ill" is so overused and misapplied I doubt the number 2,000,000 means anything. Anybody can be labeled anything nowadays. This is just more propaganda to advance the gun control agenda.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
One out of every five adults in the USA will have, at some point in their life, a mental illness or syndrom or condition. It's not just seriously and dangerously mentally ill that is counted in that stat .. but people who are afraid of the dark, or afraid of spiders, or who have food addictions, etc etc ... Not many people qualify as 'normal' these days.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Sounds about right.

Add angry people to that mix, and we have ourselves a real pressure cooking going here.

That priest they locked up for having over 200 guns? Yeah. Makes you wonder what a person needs that many guns for.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Armageddon? Maybe he really thought he would be popping off rounds at Satan's minions in the end times lol....
edit on 10-2-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I can some people being of that or a similar mindset...being prepared, wanting to be able to provide guns to all the uprepared flock or neighbors when the time comes. However...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Does america really have 2 million police officers??

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Everyone should have the right to own a firearm in America period

remember that little thing called 2nd Amendment

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join