It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mubarak stepping down tonight/transfers power didn't step down/Steps down Feb 11,

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
You know...to the people complaining about Obama and Biden sending praise to the Egyptians...what do you want them to do?

If the US gives aid to a country run by a dictator....people complain they are supporting oppression (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc.)

If the US opposes and takes out a dictator or oppressive government...people complain they are nation building (Iraq, Afgan, etc.)

If the US ignores a country run by a dictator (oppressive government), doesn't give them aid nor take them out...people complain about their lack of action (Iran, North Korea, China, etc.)

Can anyone give me an accetable course of action for the US?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Originally posted by jibeho
Mubarak steps down on the 32nd anniversary of of the Shah's fall in Iran.

Feb. 11 1979

The royal regime collapsed shortly after on February 11 when guerrillas and rebel troops overwhelmed troops loyal to the Shah in armed street fighting.

en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting!! The clerics in Iran must be loving this right now. Let's see what gets sucked into this power vacuum now. Coincidence??

AND

It is the same date Mandela was set free 20 some years ago

Hopefully they will elect Popeye

Nice janky response.

More parallels between the fall of Mubarak and the fall of the Shah than the release of Mandela from prison. Nice tidbit of info. though. Thanks Cliff! More than likely, Bluto will be the next president in Egypt. Sadly, we in the US are currently stuck with Wimpy at the helm for another 2 years.
ETA
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad weighs in:

"Despite all the [West's] complicated and satanic designs ... a new Middle East is emerging without the Zionist regime and U.S. interference, a place where the arrogant powers will have no place," Ahmadinejad told a crowd,

www.google.com...

Funny words from a funny small man. His nation is just as volatile as Egypt and he is applying as much pressure and influence as possible to keep his opposition at bay. The opposition to the Iranian mullah regime will gain certain momentum with the fall of Mubarak.

Yes, the Iranian authority is very interested in the events in Egypt regardless of what Ahmadinejad says

Last week, Egypt's foreign minister, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, turned the tables on Iran. Aboul Gheit told reporters that Iranian officials should listen to the calls for reform from within their own country rather than "distracting the Iranian people's attention by hiding behind what is happening in Egypt."

"Iran's critical moment has not come yet, but we will watch that moment with great anticipation and interest," he said in Cairo.

Iran is applying increased pressure to keep opposition groups from seizing the moment with rallies linked to the Egyptian crisis.

Security forces have arrested several opposition activists, including aides to Iran's opposition leaders.

Authorities also placed Mahdi Karroubi, one of Iran's opposition leaders, under house arrest, posting security officers at his door in response to his calls for an Iranian opposition rally in support of the demonstrations in Egypt.

Karroubi's website, sahamnews.org, said security officials informed Karroubi that the restrictions would remain in place until after Feb. 14.

www.google.com...

edit on 11-2-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Originally posted by DarthPhobos
I fear they wont be free for very long, for when the Muslim brotherhood slide in the doors to power all these poor people will suffer greater than before

Dude, please just let it go. Nobody is buying into that, haven't you noticed? Didn't work for Mubarak, and it won't work for you. This was about the people, all people, and they all stood together. The muslim brotherhood will not slide in the doors to power, anymore than the far christian right has done here. They don't have the numbers to control things, they may have a seat the table, and that's up to the Egyptian people. Take a xanax and just breath....

Just because something didn’t works for someone does not mean they are not right.

Just saying………

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Atlast I think he's "smelling the coffee" and "seeing the wood for the trees"... boy some dictators just don't take the hint.......I feel a celebration coming on and speaking of dic-TATORS what a more fitting song than his name sake.
Maybe something the Egyptian People were actually considering at one point......

Lets hope the Egyptian People achieve what they have fought so hard for. Real change and freedom to choose.

edit on 11-2-2011 by DreamerOracle because: adding

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by kosmicjack

Yes, my friend, you're right.

This is just my small tribute to these amazing people and their ancient and proud country:

I've also been showing my support artistically, this is a design I made about a week ago: www.wordans.com...

(Moderators: not sure if I'm allowed to post that link, if not feel free to remove it)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Trying not to go off topic here, but its pretty cool that he stepped down TODAY of all days..11th Feb, when according to the mayans, TODAY (11th feb 2011) we will entered into a new cycle of consciousness.
Either a coincidence, or amazing!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If nothing else, his stepping down today, will make many people wake up to the fact that there IS power in the people, when they join together.

edit on 11-2-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Has he stepped down though?

I am not buying this until I see real change in Egypt...

He has retreated to his red sea hideaway but he is still pulling the strings (and someone else is pulling his). And then you have the guy in place, just another tyrant who can't really have his countries interests at heart if he is subservient to another master.

I am partly hopeful though, because at least Mr Suleiman knows that if he doesn't play ball our Egyptian brothers and sisters will not let him get away with it.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
You know...to the people complaining about Obama and Biden sending praise to the Egyptians...what do you want them to do?

If the US gives aid to a country run by a dictator....people complain they are supporting oppression (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc.)

If the US opposes and takes out a dictator or oppressive government...people complain they are nation building (Iraq, Afgan, etc.)

If the US ignores a country run by a dictator (oppressive government), doesn't give them aid nor take them out...people complain about their lack of action (Iran, North Korea, China, etc.)

Can anyone give me an accetable course of action for the US?

I can understand where you are coming from. We are known for propping up and taking down - whatever suits our needs at the moment. I applaud Obama for supporting the Egyptian people at the risk of losing favor with other middle eastern allies. I just don't want to witness our politicians getting all teary-eyed about something that they really did not want to happen. Remember, we were complicit in the oppression of the Egyptians. This is why the Egyptian people did not want our government to intervene in any way. They wanted to do this on their own. They have welcomed U.S. citizens support, but not from our government. Ask an Egyptian. They can explain it better than I can.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Just because something didn’t works for someone does not mean they are not right.

Just saying………

Well, they are not right. Are you blind? Do you not see the protesters? This is not a religiously based uprising, the majority out there are modern youths, not interested in stepping back in time to archaic laws. To try and paint this as some kind of rise of islamic extremism in Egypt is just blatantly wrong. the lies won't work, we can all SEE with our own eyes, and read the twitter and facebook comments by the MODERN people of Egypt. The muslim brotherhood states they respect democracy, and although I'm sure many members would like to see Sharia law (just as many christians here wish to impose their beliefs on all of us), it's not gonna happen.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildeagle
Trying not to go off topic here, but its pretty cool that he stepped down TODAY of all days..11th Feb, when according to the mayans, TODAY (11th feb 2011) we will entered into a new cycle of consciousness.
Either a coincidence, or amazing!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If nothing else, his stepping down today, will make many people wake up to the fact that there IS power in the people, when they join together.

edit on 11-2-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

Yeah I agree that is pretty cool, I was just thinking that before I read your post, its pretty amazing really that it happened today, if anything if gives me more belief in the consciousness calendar.

Its not what I expected but it never is, is it? But the message like you said is loud and clear, the people have the power when they join together!

This is the revolution, the rest of the world will be following suit soon enough

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
The muslim brotherhood states they respect democracy, and although I'm sure many members would like to see Sharia law (just as many christians here wish to impose their beliefs on all of us), it's not gonna happen.

They respect a democrocy because they know when they become the majority of the population, then they can vote in sharia law without picking up a single gun.

Some of the most tyrannical people were voted into office “by the people”
It has happened way to many times throughout history, that is something I am not blind to, and never will be.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Higher Council of the Armed Forces 3 statement per @NellaLou

Army statement #3 completed on AlJazeera. Salutes the fallen martyrs.Vows to follow the will of the people. Studying future options

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
They respect a democrocy because they know when they become the majority of the population, then they can vote in sharia law without picking up a single gun.

It has happened way to many times throughout history, that is something I am not blind to, and never will be.

HOW are they going to become the majority of the population? You say when, that's very telling of either ignorance, or an agenda. Times have changed, we can all communicate with each other, without relying on corrupt medias to relay the messages and make us hate each other. The population of Egypt is modernized, there is no putting that genie back in the bottle. There will be no sharia law in Egypt...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Just wanted to say, Thank You to the mods., for updating the title to this thread. I assume that it is being done by you in order to keep updated information flowing and for that, I Thank You.

This is definitely history unfolding before our eyes and it's spreading like wildfire. I've noticed that Ahmadinejad has been warning the egyptian people to be wary of their American friends which sounds to me like he knows than Iran may be next. We can only hope. I wonder if he has any running shoes?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Er.... It's not aid.... It's $1.3b in military aid, annually..... they funded the oppression.
That's not the same as food aid for civilians or something.

Although the U.S. Agency for International Development has given over $28b since 1975.... so I guess that's ok.

The thing is maybe Obama and Cameron both opposed Mubarak.... but the US and UK's position on him has been clear for the last 30 years.... they fully supported him and his brutal regime.

It's all well and good wanting stability in the middle east and picking and choosing who you want and in what country (not that it is obviously) but when you support the oppression of one people just so someone else can have freedom, then that's just hypocrisy.

It's the typical thing that the UK and US do... they put their puppets in wherever they like, they pick and choose who to invade and who can invade anyone else.
We don't give a toss about the civilians of these countries.... until the world gets wind of what's happening and then it's all "yeah, we're on the people's side, people should be free" or "This dictator is terrible... he must leave" They put half of these guys there in the first place... and they fund most of them.

edit on 11/2/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I was in Egypt this time last year (Luxor) having visited several times before, and the locals were pretty jaded then. There is a large christian population in Egypt (coptics) and the fact that the Egyptians are so used to seeing tourists from all over the world their version of Islam is not 'extremist.'

I am nothing but delighted for the beautiful people of Egypt. I'm almost crying at their success.

Your paranoia is misplaced, misguided and misinformed.

edit on 11-2-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Exactly. It's completely disingenuous of them to come on and proclaim their support for the ousting of the guy they kept in power. They meaning our governments, we the people of the U.S. and U.K. for the most part truly do support the people of Egypt. Our governments ignore us and think they know better than us, the same way Mubarak did the Egyptian people. So, we the people have no part or choice in propping these dictators, since our governments keep everything from us as a population, and give us no choice in foreign policy. I would love to see ALL the people of the world step up to these corrupt f-ers in power everywhere, and take back the world's wealth from the elite few who control us by fear, and hatred of each other.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Mubarak seems a little out of touch with reality. Hubris may be an understatement for this dictator.

www.huffingtonpost.com...&title=Sharm_elSheikh_Tourists

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

we the people of the U.S. and U.K. for the most part truly do support the people of Egypt.

Oh REALLY????

Where were you for the past 30 years???

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48 >>

join