It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mubarak stepping down tonight/transfers power didn't step down/Steps down Feb 11,

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Mubarak stepping down tonight

www.wptv.com

UPDATE: NBC News reports that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak will step down tonight.

EARLIER STORY:

CAIRO (AP) -- Military and ruling party officials say President Hosni Mubarak will speak to the nation soon and meet the demands of protesters. Protesters are insisting he step down immediately.

Military officials say the armed forces' supreme council has been meeting all day long and will issue a communique shortly that they say will meet the protesters' demands.

The ruling party chief, Hossan Badrawy, tells The Associated Press he expects Mubarak to address the nation and make
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related article; content.usatoday.com...

Related article; worldblog.msnbc.msn.com...

edit on 10-2-2011 by Flatfish because: edit to add related article

edit on 10-2-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2011 by asala because: to edit title to reflect latest news,

edit on 11-2-2011 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well, it looks like the protestors have won, Mubarak is gone tonight! Now all we have to do is wait to see who's puppet fills the void. I really think that the people need some time to organize behind a candidate that truly represents their needs.

I guess this really shows that it's not up to the U.S. to traverse the world overthrowing dictators. All we have to do is to quit supporting them and the people will remove them on their own.

Good Luck, Egypt

www.wptv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related article; content.usatoday.com...
edit on 10-2-2011 by Flatfish because: edit to add related article

Related article; worldblog.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 10-2-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Good luck, indeed. I am glad that he finally saw that this is his only choice. I'm relieved.

Now... to see what happens in his absence.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Interesting to see how this plays out, Here is a live Video of Tahrir Square

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Also reports coming in that the road to cairo airport are now closed..
edit on 10-2-2011 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I think most of us would like to see that happening (Mubarak stepping down...) and surely I´ll try to follow this on the news as I can...

But I also think most of us have that "splinter in the mind", warning us to be very alert, not to let one puppet go just to allow another puppet to sit in.

Peace

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

From what im aware he may be handing it over to the military?

Im wondering if this was due to a rumour of a massive million person march to the palace that was being planned via many social networking sites to get the word out there,

Im sure the thought of that would have been pretty scary to say the least and in dangering the life of the current leader.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
According to the NBC Special Report that came over my TV, there is no official statement from Mubaraks government of this happening. NBC isn't saying where the information is coming from, but have said that Mubarak has not officially announced his departure. I only wonder where NBC is getting this from....

I'm not holding my breathe until I see Mubarak confirming it.

And IF (thats a big if) he is stepping down tonight, I also wonder if its not part of a plan to start violence worse than we've seen to this point.

A lot of IF's.....
edit on 2/10/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

Ex

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
My Guestion:

Is the transfer of power to his vice president what the population is really asking for??

I hope my feelings are wrong, but I think this is going to get much
worse and very bloody
before daylight comes to the population.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

On the news wires its stating that they are at this moment in talks and working through the stages, Once they have finished there meeting then an announcement may then come,

but as of this moment there still in the meeting..

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
When he does step down, he should be arrested for the torture and murder of his political opponents, that he ordered and is responsible for.

Let it be a lesson to the US officials that sent him foreign aid and trained his torture squads.

baltimorechronicle.com...

Want Peace? Work for justice!
edit on 10-2-2011 by whaaa because: fsgheyt%^*& all code

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The head of the CIA Dir Panetta has just made a statement saying there in a "Strong likely hood" that the president will step down this evening..

Though he is basing that on media reports from what i can tell, Rather than proof.
edit on 10-2-2011 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex

The Egyptian constitution states, that if the president steps down (if he doesn't name a successor), the power goes to the speaker of the house, and not the vice-president. However, the speaker, as with 90% of the house, belongs to Mubarak's party, so therefore it'd almost definitely just end up being a continuation of the Mubarak regime, just with no Mubarak as the official head. Seems a bit like a lose-lose situation either way.
edit on 10-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I guess this really shows that it's not up to the U.S. to traverse the world overthrowing dictators. All we have to do is to quit supporting them and the people will remove them on their own.

Not necessarily. If this would have happened in Iraq 10 years ago Saddam would have murdered an enormous amount of the protesters.

link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks for adding the live feed link. I'll be watching this closely as I think we're going to see this demonstration morph into a huge celebration. I just hope and pray that this turns out for the best for the people of Egypt. Seeing the pyramids is on my "bucket list" but I'm not going into a war zone to do it, I pray for Peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well if true I'm glad it will end this way instead of a potentially massive conflagration.
I missed where he would be going after he bails from office...

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Sounds to me that NBC jumped the gun with their Special Report. Typical. Nothing is official yet. We shall see. But I believe IF he does step down tonight, the streets of Egypt might turn red. Just have that hunch, hope I am wrong...but something seems fishy here to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Exactly.

And the "words on the street" that the Military has strong connections with both US and Israel... pretty much like Mubarak himself.

That's what I'm talking about when I say "just another puppet".

Peace
edit on 10-2-2011 by Sator because: spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A very true comment by a girl in egypt on my facebook,

Mubarak stepping down is only a small win. The VP is just as bad, if not worse. Will he leave behind a military state? Will many ppl go home and leave these young protesters undefended? Will the world turn away and leave them unprotected? Will the masses of media covering the story be reduced in numbers? We must ...keep watching. The Egyptian people demand the removal of the regime, a new democracy. Mubarak leaving is not all that this will take.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

He wouldn't have murdered anybody without the support of the U.S.. That's how we knew he had chemical weapons, we still have the receipts! Saddam was no different than Al-Qaeda, they were both supported and armed by the U.S. long before they turned against us. I think they call this phenomena, "blowback."

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The information minister has just told reauters that the president is not stepping down.... So hold on to your hats!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join