It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Who funds Al Jazeera?

page: 1
4

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Ever since this Egypt thing, I watch Al Jazeera all the time online streaming. I think its pretty awesome and there is alot more truth in there than American media IMO.

I was just wondering who the hell funds these people. I really don't see any advertisements on their site, and when you start the online stream there are no advertisements. They have a couple advertisements through the hour, but its not really targeted advertisements to the average person. (I think one was for like a mining company or something).

I heard that their site usage went up 2500% since egypt started, and lots of people stream their station. Thats alot of bandwidth, just wondering who is footing the bill.

I know the western media makes it out that Bin Laden is back there funding it, but I highly doubt that.




posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Good question. Lucky we have a few answers to begin our dig. I am sure there is more to it, but here is what is on the surface.

The original Al Jazeera channel was started in 1996 by an emiri decree with a loan of 500 million Qatari riyals (US$137 million) from the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa.



Following the initial US$137 million grant from the Emir of Qatar, Al Jazeera had aimed to become self-sufficient through advertising by 2001, but when this failed to occur, the Emir agreed to several consecutive loans[2] on a year-by-year basis


And this tidbit also.

The Chairman of Al Jazeera is Sheikh Hamad bin Thamer al-Thani, a distant cousin of Qatari Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani

al jazeera info

So apparently it's a uber rich Qatari Emir.



posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
A little info about who exactly the Emir of Qatar is.

The Emir of the State of Qatar is Qatar's head of state and an absolute monarch. He serves as the head of the Qatari Monarchy and House of Thani.

emir of qatar


house of thani

These articles lack depth though. So we will need to take the search further.



posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong
 


As far as I know AlJazeera is privately owned, much like Fox News Or MSNBC.

They are the opposition though, the kind that the MSM try to paint as the bad guys, so when they actually do correct reporting, or better reporting, you don't see the MSM talking about them.

I don't know who owns them, but they are an international group of journalists and media outlets all working together like the associated press..

Their coverage of Egypt has been extensive and very spot on. They do show some bias in regards to certain topics such as Israel or Iran, however it's much less to the left or right than the American one.


~Keeper



posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower
 


I don't know about that. According to this information the Emir of Qatar and the US Govt are quite cozy and buddies.


Qatar and the United States coordinate closely on Middle Eastern regional diplomatic initiatives to increase security in the Persian Gulf.

qatar - us relations

Of course this source is extremely limited in scope. So perhaps we can find something more in depth for further analysis.



posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


Holy moly you're right on it. Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I coulda tried google, but figured I'd make a thread so more people could learn.



posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


Holy moly you're right on it. Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I coulda tried google, but figured I'd make a thread so more people could learn.


I saw you post it the second you hit enter, in the ats chatroom it scrolls new threads as they are created.

And the topic interested me because I've looked up this exact question before and so I figured I'd hit you up with the links.


And yes, it's an important topic that we should discuss more often.

BTW, did you know RT is funded by the Kremlin?
Russia Today


RT was launched as Russia Today by an autonomous non-profit organization in 2005. However, much of the funding to this organization, ANO TV-Novosti, is injected from the Russian Federal Budget (2.4 Billion Rubles in 2007).


So they are clearly funded by the Kremlin.

Kinda makes you think about stuff huh?

They have agendas too just like our Western MSM, it is just harder to gauge exactly what they are up to.



posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but...

I am almost certain that I have read 'Quatar' or however it might be spelled... is basically

Command-Central for operations in the middle east.

Connect the dots...however vague, they're there.



posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


I've actually heard heard about Russia Today being funded by the Kremlin. I remember Glenn Beck had a spat with them for some reason and the hot hosts of Russia today, (they do have the hottest ladies BTW) fought back. He claimed that they were funded by the Kremlin. In response, they had a whole segment where they denied it and gave him the wrath of their hotness. (the video was on youtube I can't seem to find it at the moment).

its all good though. You'll never get the real dirt on the country that the news station is based in. Thats whey its great to have all these other countries bringing out the dirt on eachother. lol


edit on 10-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MavRck
Correct me if I'm wrong but...

I am almost certain that I have read 'Quatar' or however it might be spelled... is basically

Command-Central for operations in the middle east.

Connect the dots...however vague, they're there.


Yes you are correct.

The US Central Command, which has a mobile command center at AsSayliyah Base,

US Bases in Qatar

That article is from Xinhua news, the Chinese funded media channel.


That about covers all of the big ones, doesn't it?



posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Thats whey its great to have all these other countries bringing out the dirt on eachother. lol


Yes, we can use the different media sources vs each other. It's wonderful.

All their channel are belong to us!



posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


I've actually heard heard about Russia Today being funded by the Kremlin. I remember Glenn Beck had a spat with them for some reason and the hot hosts of Russia today, (they do have the hottest ladies BTW) fought back. He claimed that they were funded by the Kremlin. In response, they had a whole segment where they denied it and gave him the wrath of their hotness. (the video was on youtube I can't seem to find it at the moment).

its all good though. You'll never get the real dirt on the country that the news station is based in. Thats whey its great to have all these other countries bringing out the dirt on eachother. lol


edit on 10-2-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)



Funny how things are usually not what they seem to be. Al Jazeera is a weapon, much like Foxnews, CNN, MSNBC, and all the rest. Who is weilding that weapon? My guess is it's all the same body. Chao$ = ca$h




top topics



 
4

log in

join