It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily Diet Soda Tied to Higher Risk for Stroke, Heart Attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me. People that are addicted to diet soda can look pretty horrific. Really unnaturally red face...aspartic acid might increase heart rate, who knows.
edit on 9-2-2011 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
maybe we can lure ATS user Truth1000 into this thread,
he is a practicing physician. He might be able to shed
some light on Aspartame.

edit on 2/9/2011 by boondock-saint because: spelling

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
When Stevia has had as much scrutiny as asparmatine and comes out "clean" I think you can say use more of it.

Until then IMO it remains just another chemical somone is trying to make a profit out of

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
My wife was a Diet Coke fanatic, at least three cans a day, usually more. She had a heart attack at age 44, and a second at 46, which killed her, last March.

That said, I view it as anecdotal -- in her case, heart and vascular disease runs in the family, and early heart attacks and strokes, while not common, are not unknown.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Here's a news video update on this story:

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 2/9/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
When Stevia has had as much scrutiny as asparmatine and comes out "clean" I think you can say use more of it.

Until then IMO it remains just another chemical somone is trying to make a profit out of

Perhaps there is a artificial-chemical version of stevia, and an all-natural version of stevia?

Because I believe that stevia in all-natural (clean) form is available at places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods Market, Sunflower Market, etc.

edit on 10-2-2011 by Tamahu because: spacing

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloist
The article is kind of generic. By using the term "diet sodas" we can only guess that they are talking about aspartame.

However, there are diet sodas that do not use it, such as Diet-Rite, Diet RC Cola, Pepsi One, and Wal-green's even has their own brand soda, all of those use Splenda, and not aspartame.

I hope they are not talking about those too, but it doesn't really say.

Splenda and sucralose is chlorinated sugar, nasty stuff.
Look it up, not nice.
I personally think that the best option is to kick the sweet tooth.
Real sugar isn't actually as bad as most people think, and it doesn't cause diabetes as alot of people claim.
(I'm not sayin sugar is a health food, everything in moderation
)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Honey, guys!!

Raw, local honey!!!

It's the best. I dose my organic oatmeal, with a lot of organic cinnamon and local honey every morning, and that's more than enough to fulfill my sugar needs besides fruits, veggies, and bread.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Honey, guys!!

Raw, local honey!!!

It's the best. I dose my organic oatmeal, with a lot of organic cinnamon and local honey every morning, and that's more than enough to fulfill my sugar needs besides fruits, veggies, and bread.

That my friend, is the answer.
Problem with honey though, is that the bee's are dying out

Maybe it's big pharma killing off competition to their artificial poison sweetners?
(just thinking out loud)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Honey, guys!!

Raw, local honey!!!

Ah, I can't believe that raw honey wasn't added to the list in my first post in this thread!

Especially considering that:

"Honey (bee honey) is the food of the Universal White Fraternity."

- The Yellow Book by Samael Aun Weor

"Special Nourishment to Develop the Power of the Memory:

"Prepare your breakfast with acidic fruits and ground almonds along with honey (bee honey). In this way you will provide the brain with the necessary atoms for memory."

- The Perfect Matrimony by Samael Aun Weor

Speaking of the White Lodge; see the book "Bees" by Rudolf Steiner (and also his writings on Biodynamic Farming), in regard to the disappearance of bees.

Excessive interference and the foresight of Rudolf Steiner

In deference to the spiritual science of Rudolf Steiner, it needs to be said that this modern Renaissance man predicted in 1923 that if humanity continued to cultivate the honeybees by artificial means, we would, within eighty years, witness the mass disappearance of the bees.

Arguably the best-kept secret of the 20th Century, in terms of a resource for social transformation, Rudolf Steiner, in his series of lectures entitled "The Bees," gave numerous indications to portray the intricate nature of the honeybee community.

In capsule, Steiner warned against both meddling with the natural process of hive society and artificially manipulation of queen bees....

"The work of Rudolf Steiner is grandiose.

"His books are wells of profound wisdom."

"Steiner was a true Rosicrucian Gnostic." - Samael Aun Weor

edit on 10-2-2011 by Tamahu because: spacing

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I don't like soda drinks, my favorite is fruit juice ,which is my choice for dieting ...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by skyvia

As a more healthy alternative to aspartame, some people prefer stevia as a sweetener and others prefer truvia; but I'm surprised you didn't say that you prefer skyvia.

Good choice by the way. Fruit juice–especially when organic, not from concentrate, and unpasteurized when possible–is infinitely better for you than diet soda.

edit on 11-2-2011 by Tamahu because: finished post

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Since posting this thread two weeks ago, and based upon some of the responses here, I decided to make a change and drop diet pepsi with aspartame, and tried pepsi one with splenda. Interesting enough within 3 days I went from drinking about 2-3 diet sodas per day to one per day, and now about 1/2 can per day. I realize that splenda has problems too, but there aren't many alternatives other than juice, and of course water, which I am now drinking more of. Anyways, thanks to all who posted responses on this thread. It was helpful to me in making a decision.

edit on 2/23/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by Dr Love

Since posting this thread two weeks ago, and based upon some of the responses here, I decided to make a change and drop diet pepsi with aspartame, and tried pepsi one with splenda.

Bear in mind that the study cites the likely cause of the cardio-vascular problems as being the caramel colouring, not the Aspartame, so unless the Pepsi One is clear, you're still getting what this study says is a problem. That's why there are questions about the study, and why further studies are needed -- there are clear diet sodas, like Diet 7up, and there are coloured sugar sodas, like regular Coke, so what are the rates of disease with people who drink those? If there are no notable increases in either group, then it's more likely an interaction, or a unique ingredient in coloured diet sodas.

But good for you for cutting back, regardless!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
We've been on a strict glycemic index chart based diet for the past year, and cut out all soda (or 'pop' as we call it in the West) and most of our salt. Results have been good -- and we have multiple family history risk factors for heart disease.

Unfortunately, I'm a soda fanatic and miss it bad... Despite the health benefits.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join