It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Dj's want to help me with a survey (again)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
As part of my on-going research into this field:

D J Case study analysis:
Please be as in-depth as possible in your answers, as all information is valuable to my research.

DJ Name(s):

Style(s) of music (if you play different styles – please list them)

Method of DJ’ing (Vinyl, Cd, Laptop etc)

What made you choose your method of DJ’ing? What is it about your chosen medium that appeals to you?

Mixing style(s) employed: Are you a beat matcher, scratch, any other techniques.

You inspirations?

How did you get into DJ’ing?

How long had you been practising prior to your first gig?

Do you prepare a set or do you simply run off intuition, or mixture of both?

Do you include any of your OWN music (i.e recordings, production, remixes) into your mixes?

What is the worst mistake you have made and how did you recover? Did it affect your performance?

How do you promote yourself?

How do you book your gigs?

From your experience, is there an average payment, or do your prices vary (you don’t need to state your wages, this question is simply to gauge an average)

In your own opinion how do you define as your own ‘character’ of Dj’ing, what makes you ... you?

What are your biggest challenges as a DJ?

What can be done to make your life easier (if anything?)

What changes do you predict (if any) in the world of Dj’ing in the next ten years?

Do you think evolving technology is changing the way we listen to music? Give an example.

What was the best gig you’ve ever done? Why? What defined your experience?

What was the worst gig you’ve ever done? Why? What defined your experience?

Thank you for your time. It’s much appreciated.

L

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Incidentally, if any of the information is considered too private, please don't feel obliged to answer it... I'm more interested in the craft than any one person.

Again, thank you.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I can forward this too my sister if you want she was a dj a few years back.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Please do tech, that would be great

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i know where you can get some dj equipment if needs be.....

The place is called Djdealer its my girlfriends dads business hes been djing for 40years now

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pearcester
i know where you can get some dj equipment if needs be.....

The place is called Djdealer its my girlfriends dads business hes been djing for 40years now

I'm fine thanks. Got my own kit.

Just need DJ feedback really, but thanks.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I just sent her a email I will be sure to get back to you when she responds.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
DJ Name(s): Just my real name.

Style(s) of music (if you play different styles – please list them) Deep House

Method of DJ’ing (Vinyl, Cd, Laptop etc) Vinyl and CD's

What made you choose your method of DJ’ing? What is it about your chosen medium that appeals to you? I got hooked on dance music when my brother took me to a club when I was 16, fell in love with the music and the "scene"

Mixing style(s) employed: Are you a beat matcher, scratch, any other techniques. Pretty boring beatmatching, although i tried to mix tracks in key.

You inspirations?
Norman Jay, Danny Rampling, Daft Punk, Masters at Work, Marshall Jefferson, Todd Terry, Todd Edwards.

How did you get into DJ’ing? My brother bought decks that I used to use then when he left I bought my own.

How long had you been practising prior to your first gig? over a year.

Do you prepare a set or do you simply run off intuition, or mixture of both? Intuition, especially if warming up. .

Do you include any of your OWN music (i.e recordings, production, remixes) into your mixes? My brother still DJ's and we produce together, he plays our tracks out.

What is the worst mistake you have made and how did you recover? Did it affect your performance?
taking the needle off the wrong record the one playing mid set. No because i was probably drunk at the time.

I used to do my own night with friends, then you meet people, send off cds to promoters, make friends with people involved in clubs.

It was normally just through contacts at certain clubs.

From your experience, is there an average payment, or do your prices vary (you don’t need to state your wages, this question is simply to gauge an average) The money was never great I was normally getting about £100 - 600
but rarely £600.

In your own opinion how do you define as your own ‘character’ of Dj’ing, what makes you ... you? I liked to think I wasn't too arrogant not to play the party tunes, people go to clubs to dance not for an education.

What are your biggest challenges as a DJ? Playing to empty rooms or playing to people who keep requesting tracks. especially when they are requesting pop and r' n'b

What can be done to make your life easier (if anything?) I think DJ's have it pretty easy. They are just playing other peoples records most of the time, I think DJ technology now has made things even easier.

What changes do you predict (if any) in the world of Dj’ing in the next ten years? Anyone can mix 2 records together now , so I guess maybe more performance and visuals will be required to stand out from the crowd

Do you think evolving technology is changing the way we listen to music? Give an example.

technology is having a huge effect on how we hear music. The record shop is almost a thing of the past. Why spend 50 quid on vinyl when you can get all that and more downloaded of the internet.

Its a shame as vinyl still seems to sound better than the digital releases.

What was the best gig you’ve ever done? Why? What defined your experience? I did a gig at The Cross in London, which was a pretty big club at the time, the biggest I'd played at, the place was rammed and I just played a great set. There really is no greater feeling than seeing people cheering and punching the air, at the time it just seemed as though this had been the moment i'd been waiting for. (Lots of beautiful women too).

Probably playing at one of my own nights. The place was dead and the only person dancing was some really old bloke, it was the end of an era.

edit on 8-2-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I can answer all your questions but the answers would take up a whole ATS page. U2U me and I'd be glad to help.

2nd line.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

haha no worries just doing abit of plugging

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Here you go

DJ Name(s): Warlok

Style(s) of music (if you play different styles – please list them)

- Every electronic music style, Name one and I'll mix it

Method of DJ’ing (Vinyl, Cd, Laptop etc)

- Vinyl

What made you choose your method of DJ’ing? What is it about your chosen medium that appeals to you?

- The oldschool feeling. A physical spinning plate under your fingers.

Mixing style(s) employed: Are you a beat matcher, scratch, any other techniques.

- Beatmixing

You inspirations?

- Every DJ that creates a mix with feeling (a good flowing mix).

How did you get into DJ’ing?

- Always interested but this clip did it for me:

(0:49)

How long had you been practising prior to your first gig?

- A few years, not realy sure.

Do you prepare a set or do you simply run off intuition, or mixture of both?

- Both

Do you include any of your OWN music (i.e recordings, production, remixes) into your mixes?

- Depends but yes.

- Well.. Closing the wrong channel. Picking up the wrong tonearm etc. etc.

- Not anymore but through social media and friends in the business. We don't do gigs anymore but we do livestream regularly through our website and/or twitcam

- Fixed it myself/ourselves

From your experience, is there an average payment, or do your prices vary (you don’t need to state your wages, this question is simply to gauge an average).

- To be honest, I don´t really care about payment. I mix because I love to and love the music so free beer is enough for me (depends on the party).

In your own opinion how do you define as your own ‘character’ of Dj’ing, what makes you ... you?

- Mixing two styles nobody would think of (for instance trance to techno to whatever).

What are your biggest challenges as a DJ?

- Getting vinyl

What can be done to make your life easier (if anything?)

- Publish everything on vinyl (it's a dying platform)

What changes do you predict (if any) in the world of Dj’ing in the next ten years?

- Stuff like this:

- A little maybe. Evolving technology surely is changing the way we mix (example above).

What was the best gig you’ve ever done? Why? What defined your experience?

- "I Hate Trance" The DJ after us was late so we could carry on for more than two hours.

- None that I can think of

Our setup is in my signature

edit on 9-2-2011 by warlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Thankyou Warlock

top topics

join