It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

150M in 40 states brrr-ace for even bigger chill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

150M in 40 states brrr-ace for even bigger chill

www.usatoday.com

More than 150 million people across 40 states will endure below-average temperatures this week, Weather Channel meteorologist Chris Dolce said.

Low temperatures tonight will be near or below zero from the central Rockies to the Great Lakes and as far south as Texas, the National Weather Service said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The weather's still making big news here in the U.S.

Here comes another arctic blast. More storms.

With things already so bad as far as snow on the ground, hardship from gas shortages (or the inability to get enough to people) in NM, and the unprecedented cold snap in TX, this is getting pretty extreme.

Poor turtles in TX too.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

They call it winter

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by StlSteve

Oh, seriously? Really? Winter? Gee I didn't know this
Thanks for your oh-so wise words.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the post ! This is very wierd "Winter" weather and unusual for many affected.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

and to think, I actually wished for a snow-filled winter, like when I was a kid. Mom always said "Be careful what you wish for...You just might get it!"

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

Very unusual, and very concerning, considering this may well be the shape of things to come. Wish we knew better if this is how it's going to be fora while so that we could adapt better and prepare. Houses in the south just aren't that well insulated for sustained winds and cold like we've been getting. We don't have things like plowing equipment either. Crops are a concern too. And of course wildlife that isn't capable of fast migration, like the poor turtles.

reply to post by makinit66

Ha. Exactly. I wished the same thing, but being stuck in the house for a week just wasn't as much fun as I remembered.

edit on 2/7/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I just called Al Gore about this (Al and I invented the internet) and here is his take on this:

"Due to the vast quantities of carbon dioxide we are putting into the atmosphere, the extra moisture that a consensus of scientists say is now in the atmosphere, the blocked sunlight is causing a cooling effect with extreme weather phenomenon that has the effect of mimicking colder weather while all the time the planet is becoming warmer and dryer which will cause further food shortages due to droughts that can be offset by using more corn based ethanol that will decrease the carbon which will have the effect of raising the temperatures and thus decreasing the effect of the cold weather caused by the warming, which in short is what we call climate change at which time the weight of the polar fields that are melting will cause the north pole to shift to the south and cause the colder climates to become warmer which is why we need to stop producing carbon in order to offset the current ice age that we are at the start of."

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Awesome news.

Maybe they will call off another day of work.

I can hope can't I?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Always look at the bright side of life! Sing it with me....

But on a serious note, a lot of people are just sooooooooo unprepared. Hope this doesn't keep up. Especially not for decades or centuries. I mean, we'll all adapt but there may be some bumps in the road along the way.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

With things already so bad as far as snow on the ground, hardship from gas shortages (or the inability to get enough to people) in NM, and the unprecedented cold snap in TX, this is getting pretty extreme.

When I was a kid living in State College, PA, beside walking up hill 2 miles two school each day, each way, I remember snow always on the ground throughout winter. However, not quite the temperature drop. Then, about 18 years ago, winters grew very mild. And temperatures were mild. It wasn't until this year that the temperature was as cold as it is. However, nothing frustrates me more than the debates on AGW versus regular GW, so I am not going to go there.

From your experience, has there ever been a drop in your neck of the woods? If not recently, what about in the last hundred years or so?

I also heard that the utility companies out in Arizona/NW are currently being investigated for playing with the system, causing shortages, kind of like Enron did. If this is true, I would be quite upset.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by alyoshablue

Well I grew up in NJ/NY and we had snow all winter long from what I remember. Not a big deal. In.Atlanta though, where I am now, it's not so common. Not sure if we're going to get more this year or not. The way the wind's picking up right now, it wouldn't surprise me. It's the areas that really aren't used to cold that are worrisome. And on the opposite side of the coin, some areas like Alaska and the UK are having record warms?

If they're playing games, I sure hope they get busted. At least people are on it!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
with due respect, if is was summer and stuff like this was happening it would be ats news. but omfg its cold and its winter is normal.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
18°F/3°F Tuesday Cloudy with occasional flurries

18°F/5°F Wednesday Times of sun and clouds

This isn't much different then the temps we have had all winter, looking forward to an early Spring, this is the Detroit Metro Area. It is 32 degrees right now.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyoshablue
From your experience, has there ever been a drop in your neck of the woods? If not recently, what about in the last hundred years or so?

...your 2mile hike up a hill in the snow story cracked me up... my kids father used to tell them he walked 5 miles to school, in snow up to his hips and he was barefoot...

...about your question up there - one of my fav weather resources is wunderground archives... its very easy to navigate... heres the link...

www.wunderground.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

I wish I could give you and ol Al fifty stars for that bit of writing!!! Very good job and very funny!!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve

They call it winter

No, This is not what we call winter in Atlanta... Nor in Dallas....

Did you not read the article? The phrase "almost impossible" is used by seasoned meteorologists

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
With all the increased volcanic activity this year is it no wonder that it is this cold. More sun is being blocked out.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by alyoshablue

Well I grew up in NJ/NY and we had snow all winter long from what I remember. Not a big deal. In.Atlanta though, where I am now, it's not so common. Not sure if we're going to get more this year or not. The way the wind's picking up right now, it wouldn't surprise me. It's the areas that really aren't used to cold that are worrisome. And on the opposite side of the coin, some areas like Alaska and the UK are having record warms?

If they're playing games, I sure hope they get busted. At least people are on it!

Where in NJ did you live? I remember loads of snowy days when I was a kid, As an adult, not so much. Until this year that is. Seems llike every Wed & /sat we are getting snow/sleet.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There seems to be a rash of fear in SOOO many people
Everything seems to be outta control for so many,.
Believing that things are way outta wack,.
But the way I see it is it is just a minor deviation from what was comfortable,.
Yes it has been getting colder in the south,. of which does happen once in a while,.
It is Winter,. and winter brings cold weather,.. nothing all that odd,..

On the otherside of this,.
Scientists did say this kind of weather swings were coming about 6 years ago,.
And this is just the beginning,.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join