It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A refresher on the Muslim Brotherhod. Please ignore if you already know everything.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I was doing my own homework today. Looking up stuff, reading different things on different sites. And I found this.

The Society of the Muslim Brothers (often simply الإخوان Al-Ikhwān, The Brotherhood or MB) is an Islamist transnational movement and the largest political opposition organization in many Arab states. The group is the world's oldest and largest Islamic political group,[1] and the "world's most influential Islamist movement."[2] The Brotherhood has as its slogan Islam is the solution.[3] It was founded in 1928 in Egypt by the Islamic scholar and Sufi schoolteacher Hassan al-Banna.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hmm, I said to myself. Interesting. These are the folks that people are cheering for to get rid of Mubarak. Then I went a little deeper. Since some of the members of this group recently met with the Obama administration.

U.S. President Barack Obama met with members of Egypt's Islamist opposition movement, the Muslim Brotherhood, earlier this year, according to a report in Thursday editions of the Egyptian daily newspaper Almasry Alyoum.

www.haaretz.com...

Signed on September 17, 1978, the Camp David Accords ushered in a peace between Egypt and Israel. This peace is clearly in jeopardy now that Obama has shown that America can no longer be trusted to aid its allies, let alone its own interests. In 2010, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano secretly met with the Muslim Brotherhood, "a movement that uses a religious identity to mask its political agenda." Also in 2010, the U.N. Security Council "quietly dropped Youssef Nada, a prominent financial and diplomatic representative of the Muslim Brotherhood from an international sanctions list directed at curbing the activities of alleged terrorist financiers." At the time, Victor Comras, a former adviser on financial sanctions believed that "the Obama administration would have had to signal that it was willing to go along with this decision."

www.americanthinker.com...

Okay. Still not a problem, as far as I'm concerned. Presidents meet with people all the time.

Then I found this.

The Assassination of Egypt's Anwar Sadat

The attackers included four enlisted men, an army major and a lieutenant. The major and two enlisted men were killed in the swarm around the reviewing stand, once other members of the military realized what was taking place. The rest were arrested. The attackers would eventually come to be identified as Islamist nationalists associated with the Muslim Brotherhood under the name of Islamic Jihad.

middleeast.about.com...

So why is Obama meeting with the same group that tried to destroy the middle east peace accords (Camp David Accords) in 1978?

Now only a range between 2 to 33 % of the current protesters align themselves with the Muslim Brotherhood. The data is all over the map. Thee more liberal a site is, the lower the number. The more conservative a site is, the higher the number.

But this should give anyone pause when issuing a blanket support for this movement.

Thank you for your time and attention to this.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I wouldve thought that the name "The Muslim Brotherhood" wouldve given people a hint as to
what kind of group they are.
Apparently though, people just like to go along with the mainstream attitudes, they hear "Mubarek is a Dictator" enough times and they automatically assume that he has to go.

They dont take time (5 min on google) to research who his opposition is, who the group is that will most likely fill the vacuum thats left when Mubarek is forced out, a radical Islamic group that would probably like a strict sharia law imposed in Egypt.

Think what you want about Mubarek but hes kept Egypt pretty much safe from radicals. Face it, every govt in the world has levels of corruption, just look at my own country, the former poster child of freedom and democracy for a prime example.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

Well said. That old saying, "be careful of what you wish for" may be too true here.
Thanks for your reply.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I find it extremely odd that Obama met with MB
in 09.

Flashback to 2001 when Bush Jr. met with
Taliban.

Aren't they both on the Terrorist organization list ???

coincidence ???

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I agree with you to an extent, but that doesn't make Mubarak right/a worthy/deserving leader. It doesn't make wanting him out wrong, either. It might be a pragmatic approch, but it seems an awful lot like accepting failure to me.

Anyway, the leaders by example, the USA, ft it's lapdog the UK, didn't really stop to think about their "pursuit of democracy" for Iraq, and the aftermath which would ensue. The chance of Egypt being as bad as Iraq after 5 years are pretty slim.

There's no guarantee that the Muslim Brother would even come into power, if Mubarak stepped down. If they did, who's to say they'd be worse than Mubarak? Everyone deserves a chance at "freedom".
edit on 7-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Mubarrak has kept Egypt safe for the West and Israel.But what about the people of Egypt? Surely they are not going to sit and watch Mubarrak's bank account filled with billions while they suffer from mass un-employment and food shortages?

And if things are bad anyway than what difference does it make if muslim brotherhood comes into power? Atleast the Egyptian people can stand proud that they are not bowing down to israel and the palestinians will have their full support.

The Western world can't have it both ways, either the West provides the same standard of living it has to the people in those countries or allow islamists into power.

People have had enough of one ruler ruling for decades who is only in power due to Western funding.Look at Iran and Afghanistan before Ayatollahs and Soviets invaded them.Both countries were secular democratic.Lebanon is a perfect example now and how Hezbollah has taken power.

What we see now is just a trailer to what's coming.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

They only become terrorists when they don't go according to the plan.

Just the way UK released Al-Meghari who is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people.

The Labour government developed a policy to do "all it could" to ensure the Lockerbie bomber's release from a Scottish prison, the UK's top civil servant has said.

Abdelbaset Ali al Megrahi was controversially released from prison on compassionate grounds in August 2009.

It was claimed he had just three months to live, but al Megrahi - who received a hero’s welcome on return to Libya - is still very much alive.

Sky News

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by forklift

I never said he was a great leader for Egypt, I just said the Egypt has been a fairly stable ME country under his power.
I could care less about Israel or what they think, my concerns are what or who will fill the void thats left behind and the last thing that Egypt or the world needs, is another strict, fanatical, muslim Govt.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Also, do not forget to add that the Muslim brotherhood has been in the united states since 1963, nearly a decade before the Munich attacks in 1972.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I find it extremely odd that Obama met with MB
in 09.

Flashback to 2001 when Bush Jr. met with
Taliban.

Aren't they both on the Terrorist organization list ???

coincidence ???

Good point! There is definitely more going on that we are aware of. I just wanted to provide a more in-depth picture of what we might be dealing with.

top topics

join