It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EGYPT: Pentagon moving warships, preparing for possible evacuations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

EGYPT: Pentagon moving warships, preparing for possible evacuations

latimesblogs.latimes .com

The Pentagon is moving U.S. warships and other military assets to make sure it is prepared in case evacuation of U.S. citizens from Egypt

The Kearsarge, an amphibious assault ship carrying 700 to 800 troops from the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, and the Ponce have arrived in the Red Sea

In addition, the aircraft carrier Enterprise is in the eastern Mediterranean. The Pentagon originally announced that the carrier was heading through the Suez Canal for the Arabian Gulf, but the crisis in Egyp
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Keyword here, War-ships
Perhaps someone can tell me but warships carrying 700+ troops, don't know how many warships is that, to help americans escape?

Let's make it balanced though

About 90,000 Americans live and work in Egypt.

www.nytimes.com...

Of course that is quite alot
Perhaps warships are necessary though
That is very much a complicated area

The Red Sea is between Egypt and Saudi Arabia by the way

latimesblogs.latimes .com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I know when the little war between Isreal and Lebanon kicked off the other year, the UK sent military ships to evacuate British Nationals.

I just think it standard protocol when evacuating large numbers of people quickly from a place. I mean they're not about to send a cruise liner now are they?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I would say they are taking warships because they can carry a lot of people for one and for two it will be a good precaution to have soildiers. I would guess the only reaosn they would begin evacuations would be if Egypt escalates into a full blown civil war and in which case you would have to assume that you would meet with resistance getting citizens out of the country.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I have a feeling that this will be another Suez crisis only instead of the Brits it's the Americans

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It must be taken into account that you have to feed these evacuees as well as move them.
The Kearsarge is aptly suited to this, as well as providing sufficient troops to insure the evacuees safety on gettinh them out.
The Enterprise would be a great way point for helicopter evac. and would have room for many people.
Though neither ship would be ideal for bring em home. they would be off lifted to civilian transport probably out of isreal....or maybe Cyprus.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It should be noted that the Kearsarge and the Enterprise were already in the area on scheduled deployments. However, the Lincoln AND the Carl Vinson are both in the Arabian Gulf. That means THREE CVNs are in the immediate area, which is unusual. I believe the Vinson was originally going to relieve the Lincoln, which would then head back to Everett. But there's no reason it must. The Kerasarge is short-staffed. Many of the Marines normally assigned arer in Afghanistan. Nevertheless, that's more than the normal amount of firepower for that area.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

A CVN in the Med and another in the Persian Gulf is about standard. Having one ARG/MEU in the Med amd another in the Indian Ocean/Persian Gulf is normal too. The third carrier is just their to releive the other.

But you are right,no reason it has to go back right away. The whole area could go from bad to worse really quick now. Watch for our presence to increase, even if we don't get involved.

We don't want another IRAN, expect there to be at least a plan to eacuate embasey, diplomatic, and military personnel from Egypt (and other areas if this spreads) if not business and tourists as well.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
What makes TPTB think something is going to happen that would make Americans want to leave, therefore bringing in ships.

Are they not established in Egypt with jobs and family, something pretty drastic would have to happen to make them want to evacuate. Am I thinking and reading this the wrong way

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
What makes TPTB think something is going to happen that would make Americans want to leave, therefore bringing in ships.

Are they not established in Egypt with jobs and family, something pretty drastic would have to happen to make them want to evacuate. Am I thinking and reading this the wrong way

I imagine that a national civil war would qualify as "pretty drastic".

To put it in perspective, what you have to realize is that due to the ongoing strife, police forces in major cities (where almost all US citizens would most likely be staying) like Egypt, Luxor and Alexandria have pretty much dispersed. To counter that, many roving bands of militas have been created and there is some quite (justified IMO) anger towards US citizens due to the fact that our government backed the Mubarak folks so there is a very distinct possibility of violence towards US citizens and Egypt and our embassies, etc.

The increased numbers of ships/troops to protect US citizens and get them out is only a reflection of the situation and IMO is justified in every way. Especially given our past history in places like Iran. I think it's a smart idea that we devote as many resources as possible to getting our citizens out rather than go light on forces and then having Americans die. Better safe than sorry.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I am coming to the conclusion that Israel is ready to kick off first strike measures.
I know that everyone pitches the whole "I have inside info" deal, but I do know that Israel is looking to hire a lot of private military contractors very soon.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

I was thinking civil war also but was hoping for news to show it going in a better direction.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
We've been steadily evacking people through normal air traffic for the past what, week? It sounds like an excuse to have a show of force in the area. You don't need a war ship to evac people. Really, it doesn't seem like a plausible means in the slightest. That's just my opinion though. Those who haven't left by now have made their choice. Are our troops going to deploy and round them up door to door by force and extract them all the way back to the ocean?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

THEY ARE POSITIONING IN CASE OF WAR!

this is ballsy by the US and absolutely not neccassary...

that lame excuse they have of retrieving people is funny and could be seen as an act of war....as for getting personnel back - they have planes for that...they are in the airport in case they dont know...i think i know the way..i`ll show them.

they should stay cool and work with whatever government comes out of egypt.
putting pressure on people and 'positioning' war craft.....not smart as we need egypt to be stable more than the egyptians...oil
edit on 5-2-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Sound normal to me, 90,00 US citizens live and work in Egypt plus tourists,that way to many for commercial airlines to move out if it all turns bad plus it's not only Americans leaving,ships are the easiest way to move large amounts of people out of harms way quickly,It is hits the fan you need a warship and not the love boat
The marines would be needed to secure the dock were the ships are berthed,plus the meeting place and transport routes would also need to be secured,Large amounts of US civilians and warships would be a tempting target for some nutters ,I highly doubt the US is going to invade with 700 marines,

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Travlla
Sound normal to me, 90,00 US citizens live and work in Egypt plus tourists,that way to many for commercial airlines to move out if it all turns bad plus it's not only Americans leaving,ships are the easiest way to move large amounts of people out of harms way quickly,It is hits the fan you need a warship and not the love boat
The marines would be needed to secure the dock were the ships are berthed,plus the meeting place and transport routes would also need to be secured,Large amounts of US civilians and warships would be a tempting target for some nutters ,I highly doubt the US is going to invade with 700 marines,

??? are you thinking 90,000 ppl moving at once lolol....theyv had over two weeks to reduce the numbers.

this is silly me thinks and prove the anxiouty of everyone...i say chill and selll out to whoevers in control...security is not an issue...unless israels itchy trigger finger make it an issue

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I thought it was against policy to have civilians on a Military craft?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Yeah the keirsarge is a LHD. It carries Marines and would be used to secure the US Embassy and to assist in evacuating US citizens.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The Gator Freighters Kearsarge and Ponce, along with the Enterprise have alot of helo assets to aid in evacuation. Not to mention room and facilities to feed and shelter evacuee's. Small boys also have helo assets to aid in evacation as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by Travlla

??? are you thinking 90,000 ppl moving at once lolol....theyv had over two weeks to reduce the numbers.

this is silly me thinks and prove the anxiouty of everyone...i say chill and selll out to whoevers in control...security is not an issue...unless israels itchy trigger finger make it an issue

I never said they would ship the all at once matey? Yeah Israel is the only security issue in the ME,LMFAO are you serious ? Who were the people trying to destabilise Iraq after Saddam got the ass? These same people that didn't want a democracy in Iraq probably don't wont one in Egypt either
The US cant do anything right in some people eye's,be prepared for a mass evac of it's citizens they get canned,Do nothing and US citizens die they will canned ,damned if ya do damned if ya don't

top topics

<<   2 >>

join