It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't get people sometimes...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Well, I guess I do understand why people are like they are but sometimes can't figure out their thought process.

We had this lumber company go out of business a few months ago in my town so it's a vacant lot & building now.
Every time I drive by there is a guy sitting at the entrance on a bucket with a sign that says "Will work for food".

he has been out there everyday for about 3 months. He is 35 and in good shape other than maybe some hygiene issues. Today I finally whipped in there and stopped and he asked if I had anything he could do for some food.

I told him I was off work myself due to getting my spine fused last week and being kinda lame right now. I offered him $5 which he took and then I told him the convenience store my wife runs is needing help and my kid manages one of the fast food places in town and needed help.

he gets angry at me and starts yelling at me like it's my fault he's out there and tells me that...

"MAN I'M 35 YEARS OLD, IT WOULD BE F%^*KING DEGRADING TO BE A CASHIER OR FLIPPING BURGERS"

I just threw up my hands and got in my truck and drove off, sorry for trying to help. I guess it's NOT degrading to sit by the road and beg for handouts ?!?!

I mean, I'm 45 and would flip burgers in an instant if that's all I could get.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Ah, the mentality of some people. I knew someone is his 30's who would fit this profile very well... Typical blaming of the world and everyone else for their problems and not even realizing the route of the problem is himself. I'd even shovel sh*t if it put food on the table...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

S & F

see it all the time..

but your story is funny.. i laughed

send it in to readers digest and split the money,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with your wife lol

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
People like that aggravate me as well. It would be degrading to work a "less than appealing" job, but it's not degrading to lounge near a road every day holding a sign? I for one, would take any job before holding a sign near the road.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
With an attitude like that he better make that $5 last

some people ...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

i did shovel s$%T%
and clean up after suicides ,,

and empty waste buckets

and today i crawl around doing other things NOBODY wants to do.
and i get about $200/hour if i work fast,,

i'm not THAT educated,,, just found MY nitch....

wish the guys on the freeway wouldn't give up soo easily

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

What the hell do you do? $200 an hour?

I'll do it!!

Oo

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
What the hell, seriously? You offered him a JOB, and he refused it?! That is ridiculous, I've never heard of something like that. You know at least you tried to help, that's all we can do. Don't let it discourage you from helping again, for that one inconsiderate person, theres 100 who would have been grateful.

I can't believe that. If I was homeless and jobless, I would shovel crap all day for a dollar.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by darrman

I'll do it!!

Oo

LOL

U2U me and i will give you the "inside scoop" but only you,,,,,,,,, ok anyone,,,

no bull

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
These guys are professional bums, working the street and gullible people is their job! Some of these guys make more money than you do believe it or not, they don't want jobs nor need them. Sorry to hear you had to figure this out the hard way....

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I will shovel # before I flip hamburgers with a bunch of thugs and young backstabbing bitches.

Sorry for the rudeness but I have flipped burgers before.
I'm also not so stupid that I would work in a convenience store. Why? Because around here most convenience stores are run by one person at a time and i am small and look like a pushover. I would get hasseled. People would come in thinking they could walk away with a bunch of # without even having to pull out a gun.

Little do they know how fast I turn psycho when somebody takes me for a chump and my ass would then get shot because my adrenaline would feed off of their actions and their adrenaline would feed off my energy and somebody would get hurt.

I know myself well. I know patterns I have seen too well. I know that even if I try to constantly maintain control (because I actually do try CONSTANTLY to maintain control)... my definition of control changes from circumstance to circumstance and my mind just happens to have more fight in it than I probably do in my 90lbs and I have had multiple men try to put me in my place and yes, people have gotten hurt. They just don't fear someone who is 90 pounds. they just don't. That doesn't mean a 90 pound person won't try to fight you or resist you in some manner just because someone thinks they won't. I've also had countless people try to "teach me lessons" Lots of people do that #... we all do, you have to teach lessons but i have seen a special pattern in my life of people needing to teach me lessons. It's a dominance thing, a control thing. Some people you think you can control so long as you can control their mind because they think that's the only part they are going to have trouble controlling... so they try to teach you "lessons".

If you're small and you talk or act too big because it's just damn right to, someone will still come along and try to break you if they think they are just a little bit bigger than you.

I don't like seeing hell break loose in front of my eyes so yes... I am very avoidant of some things because I got brains in my head even if other people around me can't understand what my objective is, they simply need to consider having not walked in my shoes.

Here's my thoughts on the bum. He wouldn't get a job at either but I don't see how it's beneath him.

If he is camping out in the woods, he certainly can't shower, shave and cut his hair down to his cap of his uniform that he will also have to wash every day.

If he is camping out in the woods the manager of the store is very unlikely to entrust him with the drawer. Face it, his background is shakey just based on his circumstances.... even if his record was spotless. I understand this is not the complaint you heard... and maybe for him it was just an excuse so you'd # off because he doesn't want to work. Are you sure those were his reasons? Degrading? That's what he said? maybe degrading in the sense that he would run everybody up out of the burger joint with his stench. Maybe he is is off his rocker and some people like that just want to fight so watch out.... but if I was in his position, I'm not saying I would holler but the suggestion that I could simply go flip burgers or work in store would sting a bit I must say.

Final thoughts... some people like that are actually looking for work and are best suited to outside work until they can get their # together. Some are so far gone that it takes much more than just a couple of washings to get themselves clean... down to the very grey matter. They have become outcasts and cannot function very well close to other workers even with access to showers and clean clothes. It takes a little more but deep inside they know they will slip through the cracks... and they often do and some may say that this is a self fulfilling prophecy that could have been avoided but heaven knows, somebody has to be the bum on the corner don't they? Society is not constructed in such a way that all will be fair for all and there WILL be a bottom and someone WILL be down there. A lot them know this in their hearts and start living it because they found that out of all the things they could not change, at least they can accept this and no one can take anything from when you have got nothing. Once that breaks in a person, you can't really just glue it back together. It's something very deep... thoughts many probably don't even know they had. They just adapted by giving up. Giving up is how they survived. It's very hard to explain. A broken spirit would rather die or kill others than be asked to try one more time. Those are some deep, deep nerves.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by darrman

I'll do it!!

Oo

LOL

U2U me and i will give you the "inside scoop" but only you,,,,,,,,, ok anyone,,,

no bull

YOU WENT TO SLEEP!

I U2Ud you, and just like centerlink, no help.

lol

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
LOL! I did the same thing once. It was about 20 years ago and I had gotten a promotion
at the company I worked for and was transferred from a rural area to a large city.
One day I was on my way to the store and saw one of those guys holding up a sign
"Will work for food". I had never seen that before and felt bad for him.I pulled over and
gave him my card and told him my company was hiring about 200 people and I could
help him get a job if he wanted. He told me he wasn't interested and did I have 5 bucks?
Later I learned that he was probably making more than I did.

That being said I will say that begging is a job. In some countries it is considered sacred.
In this world today where it seems every body wants to just take and take and take, I
think we need to be reminded to give. We need to be reminded to give to keep that good
energy flowing. Good for your karma too!

And the way things are going right now in the US, there's going to be alot more people
who's only source of income will be begging.
edit on 5-2-2011 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

top topics

join