It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Axelrod: Obama Will Be Jumping Into Gun Control Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well we knew it was only a matter of time. Eric Holder reminded us that gun control was part of the agenda. He said they were looking for the right time. It appears that Obama believes the Tuscon shooting is the right time. Never let a good crisis go to waste, right?

David Axelrod: Obama Will Be Jumping Into Gun Control Debate

"I don't know exactly how we're going to approach it," he said when asked by The Huffington Post whether Obama would be giving a speech on it, "but obviously these issues are out there and have been extenuated by the tragedy in Tucson. And so we will -- he will engage in that ... debate."

Well here it comes ladies and gentleman. Another push, by certain portions of the left, to attack the problem of crime by going after law abiding citizens. I wonder which lack of logic they will drag out this time? Obama has said in the past that he supports the former "Assault Weapon Ban." A ban that really didn't ban anything but cosmetic features. A "ban" that a congressional report found had no significant effect on crime.

So, he supports a law that was found to have no effect on crime. That sounds logical. Push an agenda that makes people that own certain rifles criminals because of their gun's looks. Just in case people still don't get the fact that the "AWB" was a joke, The Washington Post ran an editorial when it originally passed. The editorial from the notoriously anti-gun Washington Post said that the law had no real effect unless it was a stepping stone to further gun control.

Obama also came out and said that "assault weapons" were good for nothing but killing people. That will come as a shock to ranchers that routinely use the AR15 to dispatch wolves, coyotes, and wild boars that threaten their live stock. It will come as a suprise to the police officers in rural areas that have used some of these so called "assault weapons" to dispatch packs of feral dogs, bobcats, bears, and other dangerous animals that were threatening human life. I guess thousands of ranchers, farmers, hunters, and police officers must be mistaken about the viability of the tool they use daily.

source for assault weapon ban
I don't think that an "assault weapon" ban is where it will end though.

In the presidential primaries Barack said that he had no intention of taking away people's handguns. Then he turned around and supported Washington D.C's handgun ban. He called it constitutional. (The SCOTUS disagreed later.) When asked to address his double speak Obama said, "And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets."

The DC handgun ban did not say anything about taking illegal guns off of the street. It denied any person living in or vacationing in DC the right to own a handgun. Obama either had no idea what the law said, or ignored the fact that criminals willing to rape, murder, and rob tend to ignore other laws. He also said some other things that showed a disconect with the subject at hand. A lack of understanding if you will.

"And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill," where Obama's words. Federal law allready prohibits the purchase of a hand gun by anyone under 21. It also prohibits the purchase of long guns by those under 18. So, children are allready covered by the law. People that have been ajudicated mentally defective or defecient by the courts are allready prohibited from purchasing guns. There is no loop hole for children or those deemed mentally unfit to own firearms.

source for ban remarks

Obama has also come out as being against concealed carry. He believes that it is okay for retired police officers to carry concealed weapons, but not the average American. Retired police officers have no duty, and in many states no right, to intervene in criminal matters. In short, they have the same legal abilities as me and you. When questioned about his vote he said, "I didn’t find that [vote] surprising. I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. This was a narrow exception in an exceptional circumstance..."

source

We must also remember that this is a man that has lied about his stance on gun control in the past. When asked if he filled out a questionare from the Chicago non-profit, Independent Voters of Illinois, he said, no. Factcheck.org later went back and checked on his claim during the 2008 Democratic primary. It turns out that his hand writing was on the form. He filled it out and took a hard line stance. He admitted on that questionare that he wanted to ban the sale, possesion, and manufacture of handguns. However during his 2008 campaign he repeatedly said, "As I said, I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns.” So, was he decieving the people of Illionois to win votes or decieving America to get votes?

In the same questionare he said that he favored an "assault weapon" ban. He also said he favored waiting periods on gun purchases. Both laws have been tried before and found to have no significant effect on crime. In fact the ATF came out and said that the average time between a gun's purchase and use in a crime was between 1 and 12 years. So, he supports laws that don't work and even the government admits would be useless in preventing crime.

source on questionare 1

Two years later in 1998 Barack filled out the Illinois State Legislative National Awareness Test. In that case he came out against not just hand guns and "assault weapons." He said that he supported banning the sale and transfer of all semi-automatic guns. He also said that he supported an increase of restrictions on gun ownership at the state level. He wanted the whole state to reflect Chicago's gun laws. Laws that have not prevented them from having a murder rate 360% higher than the national average. To help acomplish this he was willing to ban not just handguns, but every semi-automatic rifle. Rifles that are rarely used in any form of crime. Rifles that are used by people in rural areas to hunt for food.

Source for IL State Legislative Test

That is Barack Obama's idea of reasonable gun control. It boils down to this, ban every gun except bolt action, pump action, lever action, and single shot rifles and shotguns. Ban their posession, their transfer, and their manufacture. Raid the second amendment with a butcher knife, and slice away any and every thing that was invented after 1900.

Fellow gun owners, and American's that value the constitution, look out. Obama is ready to discuss his ideas about "reasonable" gun control. He expects you to agree, and if you don't he'll still make sure he tries to pass it. Be prepared to be demonized for even considerring the idea that American's have the right to own a gun for self defense. Be ready to be called blood thirsty, rabid, unreasonable, and worse. We've seen it before and we're being warned that it is coming again.

edit on 4-2-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2011 by MikeNice81 because: spelling

edit on 4-2-2011 by MikeNice81 because: I really need to start proof reading before I submit.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If true, he has just sealed his fate for a re-election bit.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
To OP

Very good post, I loved the fact you had all your sources inbedded in the thread, it's one of the better threads I've seen lately.

To SirMike
Unless he has no intention of holding elections.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm sorry Mr. Obama, you cannot have my guns, my AR15, my hi cap mags...Or anything else I own.

My weapons, my magazines, my shotgun, my AR15 did NOT shoot Gabby Giffords. Stop trying to turn every American gun owner into a Jared loughner.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Thank you for the compliment. Despite my spelling and gramar, I try to use some of what I learned in college.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
its all just part of the plan to destroy America, and everybody that is part of it is a traitor and should punished as such...as long as we still have our guns, a revolution is possible...Egypt has shown that nothing can stop a coordinated populace, and if that were an armed American populace demanding change i would be very afraid if i were a controller...i guess there is only one solution, as Steve Earle said, the revolution starts now...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Banning guns isn't going to solve anything. Look at weed, just about everyone uses it even though its illegal. There's ways around the system but its just going to make my job a lot harder. Ordering my AR-15 in 2 weeks can't freakin wait!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Very well composed, researched and presented topic discussion.

We can't let this administration or any administration for that matter, shred our 2nd amendment rights.

Criminals will be criminals whether they have access to a gun or not and if they don't have a gun and attack me, well, they shouldn't have brought a knife to a gun fight.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by innervision0730

i second that !!!! will order mine soon and I better get my barret 50 cal just in case....

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I'm sorry Mr. Obama, you cannot have my guns, my AR15, my hi cap mags...Or anything else I own.

My weapons, my magazines, my shotgun, my AR15 did NOT shoot Gabby Giffords. Stop trying to turn every American gun owner into a Jared loughner.

Thats the perception many of his kind have and what he is trying to enforce.. that everyone who has a firearm is a potential Loughner. That those who have firearms and support the right are "gun nuts" and dangerous.

We all knew it was coming.. came a little quicker than I had thought though. As its been said, the Az shooting will nto go to waste for these jerks

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Thats the perception many of his kind have and what he is trying to enforce.. that everyone who has a firearm is a potential Loughner. That those who have firearms and support the right are "gun nuts" and dangerous.

The real problem lies in that he doesn't understand that those who have firearms and support the left are "Gang Members" and "Criminals".

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I am very impressed S&F!!! btw caheck out some Ted Nugent videos on gun rights on YOUTUBE.COM He makes a lot of really good points( granted he is a fundamental freedom activist). Remember to be diligent,Prudent and above all don't make decisions based on fear use the noggin and remember the ones wanting gun control are afraid of the boogie man so in that effect use that to your advantage and project the idea of boogie man onto potus and build up to American citizen back to the good people we are. In media we bombarded with images of random people doing heinous crimes and told that there every person out therre is doing these crimes yet making us rely on the gov't more and projecting a saviorish glow on them. Its propaganda plain and simple. So let us show solidarity to our fellow citizens and teach them how to spot truth from needless fear of the boogie man. We should be suspicious of any entity that claims power over us when that entity is our gov't.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2

Originally posted by Advantage

The real problem lies in that he doesn't understand that those who have firearms and support the left are "Gang Members" and "Criminals".

It doesnt matter what the truth is. Im speaking of what perception he wants to enforce. He understands very well what the true issues are and they dont matter to this agenda.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
"They" can debate all they want.

There is NO debate in my house on this so we will see where this leads. I believe member bigfatfurrytexan said it best in another thread I wish I remembered the title of "they will pull my body out of a pile of hot brass".

new topics

top topics

join