It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critics: Some justice courts just interested in collecting fines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Critics: Some justice courts just interested in collecting fines

www.ksl.com

SALT LAKE CITY — It was a shocking experience for Dena Long-Christensen, sitting in a cell in the Salt Lake County Jail for nearly two weeks among people charged with serious crimes.

Her cellmate, for example, was spending time on charges of aggravated assault. Long-Christensen's crime? Selling flower baskets from her home.

"Instead of being further in shock, it was like, there's something wrong with our country," said the West Jordan woman.

Long-Christensen, 44, was sent to jail by a justice of West Jordan's Municipal Court after a dispute over whether she had the proper pe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Boy is this EVER an important and quite telling and CHILLING story. An epitome to the CESS POOL our legal and judicial system has become.

Be sure to watch the video.

Sentencing a woman to TWO WEEKS in jail, alongside hardened, violent criminals, for selling FLOWER BASKETS "without a permit".

I agree with her sentiments entirely---Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this system, and it does appear that we have become a Prison-Industrial-Complex nation, with the highest incarceration rates of any populace on earth. And it is largely due to idiocy such as this!

What the hell is wrong with our society for tolerating this type of draconian nonsense?!? Many of the courts have become a great big money-making scam, and are victimizing the citizens and INCARCERATING them for RIDICULOUS stuff! What a joke!

www.ksl.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Yeah, and where were you when the city council meeting was on, or the school board meeting. Don't be so quick to criticize our government. You are a part of it and responsible for how the government operates. When was the last time you met with any of your representatives? Your voice is very important to our government, and yes one person does make a difference.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WarmSun

I'll tell you where I was---Right there raising my voice and writing my constituents.

And you know what? They STILL have passed idiotic ordinance's like the ones above! Thing's like fining folks for what type of PLANTS they have in their front yards and what not.

So, so much for your excusal of how wonderful our gov is operating.

But yeah, I will continue to raise my voice and at least TRY to affect this JOKE of a SCAM system.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Like i just said in another post on another thread.
Law Enforcement has become a corporation by seizing everything they can from even minor drug busts.
The courts have become a corporation by making just about everything against the law and assigning fines for some offenses.
Those that arent given fines are sent to prison, which is yet another corporation, nothing like 18 cents an hour labor (sometimes free)
The US has the largest prison population in the world.

Source

Prison rates in the US are the world's highest, at 724 people per 100,000. In Russia the rate is 581.

Even China, with 3-4 times the population of the US has less prisoners .

US 2,193,798
CHINA 1,548,498
RUSSIA 874,161

Now, tell me there isnt something going on there.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by WarmSun

I'll tell you where I was---Right there raising my voice and writing my constituents.

And you know what? They STILL have passed idiotic ordinance's like the ones above! Thing's like fining folks for what type of PLANTS they have in their front yards and what not.

So, so much for your excusal of how wonderful our gov is operating.

But yeah, I will continue to raise my voice and at least TRY to affect this JOKE of a SCAM system.

That is good on you but it is not enough. We must go to our neighbors who are in need and explain to them to DEMAND that the City PROVE UP THEIR CLAIM. If We are the power behind government, WE must demand they SHOW US where they "derive" their jurisdiction. NO JURISDICTION, no problem, WE are right and they are wrong. Ordinance passed or not. NEVER give a name, you are a flash and blood living soul and NOT the name in all capital letters. No Consent!! No crime. You do NOT need a permit for anything, it is your RIGHT to trade what you make for something else. The City is a third party interloper and is guilty of extortion!!!

File a claim against the city, then file a restraining order in State or federal court. It has been done before. Time for everyone to work together and wake up and help out the neighbor in need.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Some courts only interested in collecting fines? This is news??

new topics

top topics

join