It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kepler space telescope makes astonishing discoveries.

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The Kepler Space Telescope is now discovering new planets, including earthlike planets, with astonishing frequency.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The rate of discovery suggests that life in the universe may be far more widespread than scientists thought even last week.

So ET may be widespread in our galaxy. What reputable scientist can now deny the possibility that ET probes may be surveying the Earth?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I was just reading about this earlier this morning. Pretty excited to see what other information this could lead to! Thank you for the link! This article is a bit more informative than the one I read earlier.
S&F

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I can not believe that NASA and other space agencies are only finding this now.

It's probably now that they think it is OK for us to know... or they know that we will find out sooner or later.. somehow.

Anyways, it is good for the general public who would never believe anything unless it is print or on TV from the MSM.

Good find... Exciting times for sure

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by letmeDANz

i likewise find it hard to believe that this is news to NASA and governments...there should never have been any reason to suppose that it wasn't the case that earthlike was the norm, rather than exception...most likely, the universe is literally teeming with life...the idea of such prevalence, however, is certainly the type of information that the elites would hide from the population until the time was right...and there appears to be a slowly progressing timeline of conditioning the populace to accept such realities, and there can't really be too much more before real official disclosure happens...one of these days they will announce microscopic life forms found somewhere, and after that complex life, then before we know it the E.T. presence on this planet will be revealed...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Anyone with a little bit of brain functionality can figure out that the universe which is comprised of BILLIONS of star clusters and galaxies, holds other forms of life either similar to ours or totally different. It's just logic, we're here... so there have to be others...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I like to think of it like this. When you go into the woods and see moss growing on all the trees on the same side of each tree, but yet the trees dont touch each other? why is this so? because the conditions are right for the moss to grow. We are no different. Planets may not touch but give the right conditions we grow. Peace and love

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Lowneck

The rate of discovery suggests that life in the universe may be far more widespread than scientists thought even last week.

did you just make that up?

why not? no other space agency has a telescope like kepler in operation. Nasa has never had a telescope like kepler before now.
reply to post by HenryPatrick

there should never have been any reason to suppose that it wasn't the case that earthlike was the norm, rather than exception...

actually the norm seems to be stars with no planets at all. So far theyre saying 73% of stars have no planets. Of the 27% of stars with planets neptune size seems to be the norm not earth size. Although theres probabaly an observation bias due to their size. Also i expect the real % of stars with planets to go up but we'll be lucky to get to 50%
edit on 4-2-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the link to the article. Very interesting.
And it dose make you think are there "alien" probes near or in are solar system, even near Earth. Trying to find out the same things we are?

And like a couple of other posters have said, whats to say that they have known about all of this for some time. They just find that now is the right time for the masses to know.

A lot of information has come out in regards to space finds in the past few months. Are they getting us ready for there biggest find yet??

Who knows

s&f

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

actually the norm seems to be stars with no planets at all. So far theyre saying 73% of stars have no planets. Of the 27% of stars with planets neptune size seems to be the norm not earth size. Although theres probabaly an observation bias due to their size. Also i expect the real % of stars with planets to go up but we'll be lucky to get to 50%

Stop being ignorant. You can start by providing us with a link to some facts instead of trolling with lies

As announced yesterday, using the transit technique the Kepler mission has now identified over 1200 exoplanet candidates in a field of view that covers only about 1/400th of the sky. The tantalizing result suggests there are many undiscovered planets orbiting the stars in our galaxy.

Link

your very wrong

edit on 4-2-2011 by Artorius because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2011 by Artorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Excellent. We're moving closer and closer to finding a new planet to mine and rape.
Joking aside, that's really great. This is definitely a very exciting discovery, and it's difficult to contain the imagination about the possibilities out there. Some of those planets could contain life just starting out, or maybe a planet of alien dinosaurs. We'll just have to get in there, genetically modify and splice our DNA with a species native to the planet (so that humans can adapt to the particular atmosphere or biological threats contained on that planet), and we're ready for another 300,000 years of domination.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Faulty logic:

Life exists on earth, the universe is bigger than we thought, therefore life must exist elsewhere besides earth

users of the 1st fallacy almost always use the 2nd as well:

UFOs are unidentified flying objects, we see many UFOs, therefore life exists on other planets

This is no big surprise. I am willing to bet that in a few years they will find that it is even bigger than they think it is now. Instead of making people appreciate the significance of their existence, many will just do the opposite and conclude their "must" be life outside of earth, and defend it with religious zeal.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
Instead of making people appreciate the significance of their existence, many will just do the opposite and conclude their "must" be life outside of earth, and defend it with religious zeal.

If other intelligent beings existed, that wouldn't make our own existence any less significant. It would just mean we're not a one-off as we may have thought.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lowneck
So ET may be widespread in our galaxy. What reputable scientist can now deny the possibility that ET probes may be surveying the Earth?

Just because there's plenty of planets, does not mean they are capable of space travel, that there's intelligent life on them, there's life on them or even if they are capable of supporting life. It just means there are more hay to look through for the elusive needle(s)

As for sending probes here, the two are not related by anything more than hope

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Artorius

the info comes from astronomer franck marchis and is a statistical analysis of the kepler data so far. scienceblogs.com...

Using model predictions which take into account the probability of having the correct geometry to detect these exoplanets, the Kepler team extrapolated that 6% of the stars in our Milky way have Earth- and super-Earth size exoplanets, 17% of them have Neptune-size candidates and only 4% of them have Jupiter-size exoplanets.

but reading more on this it seems to be a result of the detection method heavily weighted towards detecting close in planets and the chances of detecting planets fruther out are lower. The Spitzer telescope a couple of years ago put the number of stars with planets at between 20-60%. Its still unclear at this stage it could go even higher.

I think franck Marchis has been too quick to draw conclusions with this data so best ignore that for now and see what happens. We'll get a much better idea after 4 years of kepler what the true numbers are.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

They've only looked at 1/400th of the sky at this point. That "percentage" you speak about is extremely small compared to the rest of the universe or even our galaxy...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Artorius

They've only looked at 1/400th of the sky at this point

kepler will only ever look at 1/400th of the sky it wont be looking anywhere else.

the numbers are extrapolated through the whole galaxy. Thats the point of the kepler mission to do this. Kepler is looking at 150,000 stars in prime planet real estate bang in the middle of the GHZ . We will be extrapolating the numbers to the whole galaxy at the end of the mission

e.g if kepler finds 1 in 10 stars in its feild of view have an earth size planet in the HZ we then apply this to all stars in the galaxy to find how many total we can expect galaxy wide.

franck i think has jumped the gun extrapolating so early from only 4 months of data, we can look at 30% as a worse case scenario.

hes not the only one doing this, everyone is desperate to make sense of the numbers and what it means galaxy wide. I think at this stage its not really that accurate

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lowneck

ET probes may be surveying the Earth

My thoughts exactly....They're UAV's so to speak.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Oh PLEASE,

Forget that telescope our Scientist have known for eon's about extraterrestrial life they are just now starting to share because they have no other choice..... the technologies are getting to good and the word would get out and someone else would get the credit.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Lowneck

did you just make that up?

why not? no other space agency has a telescope like kepler in operation. Nasa has never had a telescope like kepler before now.

You really think NO other agency has a telescope like Kepler? I see.

new topics

top topics

join