It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt, Tunisia, and.... America? Eu? China?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Read this next bit; an article from the paper (really, it's not long) and lets talk about the disconnects between leaders, be they political, religious, wealthy.... and the rest of the masses.

"Only $1 out of every $20 raised by Utah lawmakers this year came from constituents in their districts, and most campaign money came from corporations, political action committees, parties, other politicians, and lobbyists, The Salt Lake Tribune reported Sunday.
"It just comes on its own," said GOP Rep. Michael Morley, of Spanish Fork, who has never asked for a campaign donation during his eight years in office.
The newspaper also said 33 of the 100 incoming lawmakers who reported raising money didn't receive any contributions from their local constituents.
"That's appalling," said Kim Burningham, chairman of the Utahns for Ethical Government."

So when politicians are getting wealthy, when it takes BEING wealthy or "donations" (free of (cough cough) political arm twisting and favor owed debt by corporations) to be elected, and when elected they look out for each other and make the rules, and the re-election of incumbents percentage is far over half, and the money doesn't come from the people who are supposed to be represented.... is this a disconnect? Just who IS being represented? Isn't this what caused the uprisings overseas? Isn't this a fair description of how it is here in America right now?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Seriously? Did I use poor wording for the headline? No one has an opinion about that newspaper article on its own at least? I felt disgusted when I read it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Show me the link, please! Then people would jump right in and participate in your thread.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Shocking isnt it?
I think its bonkers that we are calmly watching our goverment being sold to the highest bidders.
Be it Monsanto, Or Halliburton or countless others who all donate what i would imagine is the bulk of all political funds.
The psychopaths are in charge of the asylum.
I cannot fathom this being some never ending cycle of bribe legeslate bribe.
But it doesnt stop.....
Somebody somehow needs to throw a monkey wrench into the spokes. but what that wrench may be i dont know...ron paul maybe,?but weve seen our reps bullied out of the real race before...
Somehow i think it comes down to just exactly how much they can possibly stuff down our throats before we come up spitting and gagging and struggling to get free.
Information is the key.
spread from person to person netweork to network....
when enough people know....the tipping point will automatically be reached, and spontaneously people everywhere will get up and go out and do the right thing.
Whatever that may be.........

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Hmm I don't have a link, I have the actual article in my hands, taken out of our daily free newspaper here in Jackson, WY. This article was one of a few in a section called Region in Brief, from the Jackson Hole News and Guide's free daily called the Jackson Hole Daily. It may be on the Salt Lake Tribune archive as that seems to be the original source from the article, about local elections and newly elected or re-elected.... let me see... the date on my paper is Monday, November 22, and it mentions Sunday in the article so I am guessing either the previous day or a week and a day earlier. So no link, just paper in hand. What I quoted was exactly what was in the article, in full. Just a brief note among other regional news clippings. To me, rather revealing though just a small mention in my paper. Maybe the original article in the Salt Lake Tribune is larger and more detailed.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Sadly this has been going on for quite some years now I'm affraid. People already know this is going on so, IMO, this is why they don't participate. But still good that people are paying attention. And just for that I will S&F

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Personally, I think elections with this kind of lopsided funding should be considered null and void. Corporations being allowed to contribute to campaigns, be legally treated as individuals, and not even pay taxes is a joke. For them to also collect favors by being the largest source of election funding? What happened to campaign reform? Grrrrrr! And on an also important side note..... the relaxation of the rules to prevent one company owning many sources of media, such as Comcast buying NBC or media moguls Murdoch and Black owning radio stations, newspapers, tv channels, etc. Not good for America!

top topics

join