It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replace Hubble Yourself For Only $500

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well, obviously anyone reading the title wouldn't take it literally... That would be quite silly, but it's true to a very small degree.

It turns out two british PhD students made their own concoction of primitive everyday items, to take pictures of earth from approximately 100,000 feet up in the sky. Quite impressive I'd say, and the yield from this interesting experiment is pretty awesome as well. But it had to suck when they were going to retreive it, man oh man.

Here's one of the pictures:

Read More About The Story Here

Here's probably the most interesting part, a youtube video that shows the process they went through, as well as some of the footage at its zenith.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Are these the same guys that launched the paper airplanes from the outer edge of our atmosphere?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Where are the stars? Wait, what? Does this mean NASA hasn't been filming on studio sets all this time?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
Where are the stars? Wait, what? Does this mean NASA hasn't been filming on studio sets all this time?

That big bright thing in the first picture is a star, it's called our sun!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

That was awesome.
I think there was a similar vid posted on here once before, but I like this one better. It was more fun to watch.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

That's not the sun, that's a flood lamp superimposed onto a black background above a model of earth...

Of course I'm being sarcastic to illustrate a point, but some people actually believe the kind of things I just said:

Thankfully, amateur 3rd party evidence like the OP's story shows the above conspiracy theory to be silly.
edit on 31-1-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Awesome comeback you got me rollin over here. OP great find I love watching videos like this, always amazes me to see regular people investing time and effort for the masses.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Great video....The earth is really round!! *gasp*

S&F

edit on 31-1-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
Thankfully, amateur 3rd party evidence like the OP's story shows the above conspiracy theory to be silly.
edit on 31-1-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

True, and I believe certain people can benefit from seeing such experiments for themselves. Or even conduct one for that matter, in case the youtube video looks too much like paper mache to them.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Of course I'm being sarcastic to illustrate a point, but some people actually believe the kind of things I just said:

YouTube Link

WTF? Somebody actually interpreted that sequence to show the box hitting a fake Earth? They didn't even go to the trouble of superimposing wrinkles in the 'sheet'? At least the 'fake moon landing' folks supered in a guy picking up a rock or something. That is just silly stuff.

new topics

top topics

join