It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Qaeda Announces Holy War against Houthis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I haven't a clue as to the credibility of this site, but wanted to let the members know that in addition to the protests in Yemen, it appears that AQAP has called for jihad against the Shiites in the country.

yemenpost.net

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) announced on its website jihad (holy war) against the Houthi northern Shiites.
In an audio message posted on the Internet, Saeed Ali Al-Shihri, deputy leader of the Yemen-based (AQAP), said that Houthis in Sa'ada, Jawf, and Amran will face a strong war against them, calling on Sunni Muslims in northern Yemeni provinces to be with (AQAP). He accused Iran's regime of backing Shiite rebels.
"Jihad against northern Shiites has been declared since the implementation of the AQAP's twin martyred car bombing attacks against convoys of Shiite rebels' in the northern provinces of Jawf and Sa'ada on Nov. 24 and Nov. 26 of the last year," he said.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Great. There goes the neighborhood. I figured it was only a matter of time before these guys reared their ugly heads again. Never let a good opportunity go to waste,eh?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Appears to be so.. and this is the group that the US military has bombed a couple of times in Yemen, with Yemen taking the credit. at least that's how it sounded from a couple of those wikileaks files..

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
For the layman, what are the ramifications?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Appears to be so.. and this is the group that the US military has bombed a couple of times in Yemen, with Yemen taking the credit. at least that's how it sounded from a couple of those wikileaks files..

LOL That's because Al-Qaeda is a CIA / Mossad asset.
edit on 30-1-2011 by DjOsiris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DjOsiris

And if you subscribe to that thought angle, than this could be the door opening for the next US footprint in the region?

As we leave Iraq, Saudi Arabia would still like to have us close by... and Yemen is close by.. etc.. etc..

Pure speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit that Yemen is the next nation the US moves to in the WOT...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Yes, it was time to pull out al Qaeda because people were having a very hard time putting a mean face on this whole secular revolution that seemed to be brewing. The grasping at the Muslim Brotherhood was getting tedious. Nice to have a more familiar boogeyman to focus on.

reply to post by JacKatMtn

We're leaving Iraq?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I cannot help but believe even Arabs are growing tired of the likes of Al-Qaeda in the neighborhoods. With the violent rhetoric, extremist behavior, mass murder, and political assassinations they are becoming to even their fellow Muslims as much of a farce as the United States military intervention in the geopolitical region.

Now add this upon the shoulders of the mentioned above and I believe we are on the heels of a very trying time in Arab/Muslim history. A rejection of secular and Western backed dictators alongside a growing hostility and resentment of radical Islamists. Maybe it is a political miscalculation of mine but I believe what the Arabs want is a nation which neither is secular or theocratic, that is neither liberal democratic or autocratic, and is neither pro-America or pro-Iran.

So with Al-Qaeda making these threats towards fellow Yemeni Muslims I cannot help but sense that Al-Qaeda’s influence upon Muslims, even hard-liners, is about to collapse if this is pushed any further. Yemen is a hotbed for Islamic Extremism which has grown out of the poverty and international exploitation of their ancient lands and people. But what are the chances of these Yemeni people to forfeit any political success to the likes of Al-Qaeda which they know would inevitably lead to international military intervention which they could not fight off.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Related reuters report from the region detailing the events of January.. no mention of the declared Jihad in this one...

FACTBOX-Security developments in Yemen on Jan 31

Yemen is trying to quell a resurgent wing of al Qaeda which has stepped up attacks on Western and regional targets in the poor Arabian Peninsula state, a neighbour of oil giant Saudi Arabia.

The cash-strapped government is also trying to cement a truce with Shi'ite rebels to end a civil war in the north while working to subdue separatist rebellion in the south.

Following are security developments in Yemen in the past month (* denotes new or updated item):

Please go to the link to view the developments

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Hmmm.. interesting. Bear with me a second. I'm going to pull from your article where it says..

The cash-strapped government is also trying to cement a truce with Shi'ite rebels to end a civil war in the north while working to subdue separatist rebellion in the south.

Ok - so the Yemen government is fighting Shi'ite rebels in the north and trying to form a truce with them. BUT - in the article from the OP.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) announced on its website jihad (holy war) against the Houthi northern Shiites.

So - AQ is also fighting the northern Shi'ites.

If true, doesn't this put the Yemen government and AQ in the interesting position of having the same enemy? The enemy of my enemy is my friend?
edit on 31-1-2011 by Frogs because: added a bit more

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It is confusing.. considering that the one person that the Current President has authorized killing is allegedly in Yemen and associated with the AQAP group, who along with the Yemen gov't consider Iran as an instigator in the battles with the Shiites..

enemy of my enemy is your enemy and sometimes your friend?

new topics

top topics

join