It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolution spreading to Britain

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Yeah I would have to agree with this actually. I don't think Britain would ever revolt, we're far too conformist in our views and culture. It would literally take something massive.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
I highly doubt this will be a revolution,The British along with other wealthy countries have not experienced the suffering required to pull them away from their luxuries for to long and the protests will be over once their favourite tv show starts.

I think your right, and the governments knows this. The American public suffers from the same affliction.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
reply to post by jrmcleod

They run around blaming Labour because it's Labour that screwed up the country. Then again, Scotland IS a pro-Labour nation anyway so we may have to agree to disagree right there because I really don't wish to have a political argument here or anywhere.

I'm not a Conservative supporter or a supporter of any party but I felt compelled to vote at last year's general election purely to keep Labour out of power because of what they'd done to the country and little did I know some idiots would vote the Lib Dems thinking they'd actually live up to their pledges which then brought about the Coalition in the first place when an outright majority didn't happen.

I understand where your coming from but the fact still remains that the cuts and increases by the coalition are the wrong cuts and rises. Yes labour got us in a mess but the whole world is in the same mess, our finances are tied into other countries so its not all labours fault. Even with the cuts and rises by the lib-cons, the UK's economy STILL shrunk. Off of the top of my head, things that should NOT be cut are these...

1. Healthcare
2. Education
3. Public Transport
4. Benefits
5. Jobs

Things in my opinion that SHOULD be cut are

1. Nukes
2. Expenses
3. Royal Family Money For Protection
4. All Foriegn Aid
5. All EU Monies

Maybe once we start caring for our people in times of need instead of others we might be able to sort out or get this country under control before we go aiding others.

And as a side note, maybe those big banks who get us into this mess and then begin to crash, should be ALLOWED to crash and burn.

Maybe then we'll see an improved system with healthy competition where the little guy can compete for business.

Edit to add: How rediculous is it that in this day and age with food shortages at home and abroad, if a fishing boat catches too much fish, they have to throw the dead fish over-board...what COMPLETE IDIOT thought this was a good idea????

Honest to friggin god, these people are meant to be looking out for us...
edit on 31/1/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
reply to post by curious7

I have to disagree with you there. Until you have experienced university level education in the UK, you cannot understand how much of a rip off it is. You basically pay for access to a library, Internet, and labs, depending on your degree of choice.

You can get a public library card for free, and most students have Internet access at home too. So WTF are you really paying £9000 a year for? To use a lab twice a month? To prop up your lecturers work?

For lectures themselves? BS, you will have to do all the work yourself, if you want a decent degree level like a 2:1 or first, you need to do outside reading as stressed from day one. As in material not contained within your course syllabus (Internet). Help from a lecturer? Maybe, but remember they have possibly 30 other students to deal with during any given semester.

With these fee hikes, university, if not for a vocational degree, is a joke.

Excellent points you raise. It does beg the question then do you actually need a brick and mortar institution?

I really don't think we do, but I think it may be alot to do with tradition, and those holding senior positions within instituions unwilling to modernise. I think online degrees done in your own time whilst working a full time job simultaneously are the way to go. Unfortunately there is a lot of snobbery towards such courses from those working higher education.

But interestingly a lot of businesses are now paying for their employees to take online degrees in their spare time, to increase the earning power of both the individual and of course their business. You may have to sign a little contract to ensure you won't be poached on completing your study though.

Here is an interesting snippet in regards to those holding senior positions in University.

The pay packets of Britain’s university heads rocketed by as much as a fifth last year, just as institutions lobbied for a huge hike in student tuition fees, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

More than 950 university staff, including all vice-chancellors, were paid more than the Prime Minister – an eight per cent increase on the year before.

One senior administrator at Oxford was given a salary of almost £600,000, thought to be the highest-paid university post in the country.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I can see why University students are so pissed off. I get annoyed just reading news like this. Have these guys took on a larger work load to justify such a massive salary hike? Doubt it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Just had to chip in here.........

The second comment on this thread by 12 Voltz is so TRUE........

The vast body of those protestors has NO IDEA what it is like living in a country like Tunisa or Egypt or somewhere else they try and affliate themselves with............Most people who live in this country are happy complaining and whining and being led by agitators and uniion leaders hell bent on causing trouble because of a pathetic and IMHO completely outdated Political belief systems......

The big problem, if you think about our 'system' is that we are ruled by Corporations because we 'flock to the shops' in a mad orgy of consumerism.... That is our society.......!!

Do you want to cahnge the system ???? Then stop protesting and whining and 'Muster' yourselevs into manipulation of the corporations.....

ie Topshop , they don't pay their taxes..... WELL DONT SHOP THERE then !!!

Boots dont pay their taxes........... WELL DON'T SHOP THERE THEN

Vodaphone don't pay their taxes....... WELL you KNOW what to do then don't you !!!!!

The problem is that the 'protestors' can't be bothered and rather fancy a shout and a scream without digesting the facts and then they FECK off home to watch TV or some other irrelevance of celebrity ET AL !!!!

I want a FAIRER society and the NEW TAX changes due in April 2011 I SUPPORT........ I will pay more and accept that even if I do not think the politcal system is correct.......

BUT I AM SICK AND TIRED of all the WHINERS !!

Regards

PDUK

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join