It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not a thumbs up thumbs down rating system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Forget the flags...seriously!! If 8 people flag a thread there are probably 4x as many people wondering why it was flagged in the first place. What are the arguments against instituting a new system of
or
? Would this way of rating threads be any worse than the current system? I believe it would be better. If i see a thread with 100
and only 25
I will be more inclined to visit and participate in this thread. If I see a 25
and 100
...well you get my drift. This seems the most logical way to rate threads.
Just my 2 cents, may not be worth that...you all tell me.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What do the mods think? Come on guys you can chime in too

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
then it becomes a popular opinion website verses a information website.

A good way to start dismissing different perspectives is to hyperinflate one side, or squash the other side...as you said, a bunch of thumbs down would immediately turn you off from even checking it out.

Well, imagine 100..or 200 people with an agenda to squash some subjects...they thumbs down any related thread with the "wrong" view and voila...you got info supression.

Sort of the opposite of what you want going on here...also, keep in mind that a person can get a IP switcher and have many accounts..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Well, imagine 100..or 200 people with an agenda to squash some subjects...they thumbs down any related thread with the "wrong" view and voila...you got info suppression.

yup,

WW and his crew would see to it that no chemtrail threads would ever be seen on this site and most of the UFO threads too, IMO

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

So the opposite can happen as well ?? no?

If you believe there are as many disinfo agents on here as legitimate members,you need to think again. Or am I a disinfo agent? LMFAO

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Chem-trails come from Niburu......that's right I believe chem-trails are a result of an overzealous imagination. Don't you wish you could give me a
?
edit on 29-1-2011 by DisturbedToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

but i just did
by not starring and flagging

toodle-pip

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
seems like a sensible idea or to at least give an indicator of how bad the page is

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Like Saturn said, this is not a website for popularity, there are plenty of those out there, and they have their place, but ATS is not one of them , no matter how many people try to make it as such. Even a post a few above me is bringing a different member's name into the conversation, and trying to push an agenda and increase/decrease popularity.

Instituting an up or down system would perpetuate the negativity that has been slowly increasing hee at ATS.

The star/flag system works very well to me, a thumbs down would simply be the same as not starring or flagging, but in a way that shows less negativity.

This question has been floating around for awhile, in fact just a few days ago someone was asking for an anti-star option.

I'll see if i can find the link.
edit on 29-1-2011 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I agree with Saturn as well. Better this way, so that opposing or unusual perspectives can still be taken with consideration (people will likely overlook or hold a bias on a post with multiple thumbs down, even if it makes sense or is otherwise an honest opinion.) This way, people just get credited from those who agree with their views. I think this way is best.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
go hard facebook

top topics

join