It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Communicate if Your Government Shuts Off Your Internet: (a must know piece)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think dead drops are a good idea, but if you have a government that plays dirty, they'll just look at the map and rip them out of the wall.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

This I find very interesting. A possible solution-it seems-to get it up an running etc.

The one problem I see-looking past the initial start-up and operations- is that once a Gov't Policing/Spy agency locked on to the group/or discovers them, I think the computer linkage/connection could bring them all down.

Now, I am talking an all out onslaught by the Gov't against the people-where they control most everything etc.

I find this all fascinating.

Thanks for everyones great ideas and comments.

Edit to add:

After I posted this, I was looking around and I found this story that shows Tunisia's internet from the Gov't side of things.

Exclusive: Tunisia Internet Chief Gives Inside Look at Cyber Uprising
www.wired.com...

One thing for sure. If you are going to be involved in anything against the Gov't-be ready to operate clandestine-Cyberlike.
edit on 1/30/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Excellent thread!! Of course I flagged because I feel everyone should see this.

For those who do not think that the US Government would not shut down the internet in the USA under certain circumstances... you are foolish and lying to yourself. The topic of an "Internet Kill Switch" is not new. It has been discussed openly. I personally already believe a kill switch already exist. The debate is just for show. In any event, the US Government would kill the internet in a heartbeat if they could justify it and any disaster will justify it.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
This is the best way to get all your people in the street.. cut the internet country wide and they will all jump out to see whats going on! I bet the technically illiterate rulers of the mid-eastern countries where things are happening right now have been advised to do so. Ha-ha-ha! Nice trap!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
My hats off to you for this post, great Information. At this time I have three shortwave recievers for emergency use. One has solar recharge capabilities as well as a crank generator which can recharge rechargable batteries and cell phone batteries. Now I'm going to build an emp proof box for storage of sensitive electronics. I have several cb's just in case and last year for a couple of bucks at a garage sale I got four fm radios with a base station.Also have a spare laptop I use for a huge collection of e-books.

Yes, it very important to build redundancy in your electronics stockpile. A targeted EMP by the government can fry any electronics. Always have a backup in an EMP proof box or underground room if your fortunate enough.

Plan your work and work your plan.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

reminds me of a South Park episode humorously describing into detail what would happen to the masses if the internet were to suddenly "turn off"
South Park: Over Logging

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Remote dial up connection
TOR
Darknet
Ad-Hoc
Dead Drops
Offline Networks
Community Social gatherings (bring your own pc/laptop/net-hub)
Post USB drives to each other.
Multiple clusters of WiFi networks broadcasting from neighborhood to neighborhood using standard residential gateways.

Many ways of adapting to a world with no Internet.

Also, use HTTrack to download all your favourite websites, so when the time comes you can make those websites available on your Local Area Network or remote shell, weather it be a box using netBSD or just a standard pc using Windows, you can still recreate websites that once existed to be used with no net.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thanks. Good info, link.

Oh how I wish I'd learned motorcycle maintenance...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Your best bet is short wave radios. They must be hardened from EMP strikes and each state should have a short wave net to communicate to other states. Then there would have to be a code book to be issued to these groups,
Each code containing a one time use for each day, therefore it could not be broken. Yes a lot of work would need to be done, but if you started now while the technology exist you could complete this in a rather shot time period.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
I don't think they'd ever actually be dumb enough to do this. They would have to completely shut down many countries with how much we depend upon computers and the Net these days. Also, the second that people found out the government had shut off the Internet, riot groups would double or treble instantly.

Seriously guys...if we ever hope to stand a chance at countering TPTB, we MUST do more to THINK LIKE THEM in the scenarios we generate that is intended to help the masses (well ourselves really as the masses are STILL ASLEEP for the most part). With that said, YES I do believe that it would be outright foolish of them to think that they could do something so bold as to just strip us of internet access...

BUT

I can see how some sort of "NATURAL DISASTER" could do the job at causing various "outages" throughout the Nation where an estimated time of repair (ETR) could literally be days if not weeks out. AS IN they too know that it would be outright foolish to think that they could just walk in with some piece of "legislation" empowering them to just turn of the internet....that is why they would never approach the objective in such a fashion, they would simply create the necessary "crisis" that would just so coincidentally provide the cover needed in order to successfully accomplish said goal.

SO YES we STILL need to consider even what we might initially view the "impossible" from happening....happening ya know? Remember we must really begin to think like the enemy if we hope to successfully resist/counter the enemy. Thinking outside the box in search of solutions to our problems should be the order of the day....everyday. Thanks

NT

With that said...I too have been kind of tossing this possible scenario around in my head over the last month or two...essentially from the very moment I had heard of our current criminally corrupt American governments wishes/intentions of gaining the the ability to shut down/severely restrict/control our internet access. In addition to the OP, or basically in addition to the OP's suggestion of Radio, my wife and I have discussed purchasing some sort of HAM Radio/shortwave radio giving us both a transmit and receive capability. A radio that could broadcast in the VHF/UHF/HF RF frequency spectrum would be ideal.

Gone are the days with having to have chassis mounted radios with separate transmitter/receivers/couplers/power supplys/etc because with technology today...you can get those capabilities all within a hand held.

The Harris Falcon II RF-5800U-HH:

The RF-5800U-HH is a small, lightweight UHF radio built on the popular Falcon II architecture. Applications include closein air support, urban assault, and counter-terrorism missions. 5W output power and continuous coverage in the 225 MHz to 450 MHz frequency band ensure that the Falcon II radio can provide reliable, secure voice and data communications in places that other radios can’t reach.

www.midkiff.cz...

Outside of the internet and all other forms/means of being able to stay connected/communicate, that is where I will be putting my money. Just understand though that actually having the radio is only the first step. Ensuring that those in which you wish to maintain contact with/your main element are also equipped AND that you establish a Comm's Plan of sorts so that you will be able to build and maintain a successful circuit (one in which I would STRONGLY recommend having some sort of "frequency hopping" included in order to minimize jamming/deliberate interference so that successful two-way comms are maintained, and to also make it somewhat harder to locate you.

Same thing with antenna placement. I would recommend establishing both a local and remote antenna capability as well as doing everything you can to encrypt your voice communications (both digitally and in code that will be included as a part of your established comms plan). It can all go pretty deep from here. If any of you are working towards a goal such as this and require more information, please feel free to hit me up and I will call upon my experience to aid you as best I can in setting up and maintaining an effective comms node

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I like the ad-hoc idea, where you basically have a bunch of open networks to create an Intranet and using chat software like iChat or Trillian. And the flash drive idea where you have a flash drive in a public place where people can access workaround software. Though it would be best to be on Linux/Mac for that. 1 mole plant and all the Windows users have Viruses

I'm looking up this stuff now and literally saving the web pages and downloaded software in a folder called "In case the Internet goes down".

My question is this: if the internet is down and you need a dial-up ISP, how would you get it if you can't get on the internet to buy it?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

anon72,
Great thread!!

Just up my alley, so to speak!
Here are a couple of ideas and pointers on HAM radio internet connections via packet.

The Internet Radio Linking Project

Another Canadian Invention is Sweeping the World

(ETA: Still need some sort of internet such as suggested in earlier posts, remote country connections via SSB and satellite bounce, local Wifi, etc.)

Dave's custom IRLP software - takes the audio from the receiver which is then fed into the sound card - where it is converted into ADPCM digital data. The Linux PC then converts this digital information into digital packets each assigned with IP addresses for the destination node. These packets now flow through the internet to the destination Linux PC where the packets are decoded then sent to the sound card and out to the transmitter microphone of the link radio which then transmits the audio out over the local repeater. The transmitter is keyed as soon as these TCP/IP (Internet Protocol) packets start to arrive. As soon as the data stops the link radio automatically un-keys and process reverses.

and

Get Internet Access When Your Government Shuts It Down

Always Be Prepared
In the land of no Internet connection, the man with dial-up is king. Here are a few gadgets that you could use to prepare for the day they cut the lines. Given enough time and preparation, your ham radio networks could even be adapted into your own ad-hoc network using Packet Radio, a radio communications protocol that you can use to create simple long-distance wireless networks to transfer text and other messages between computers. Packet Radio is rather slow and not particularly popular (don't try to stream any videos with this, now), but it's exactly the kind of networking device that would fly under the radar.

and..this is a bit old but still useful:
Internet Access via HAM
Oh yeah...S&F!!

Good Luck to you and yours,
73's,
Tom
KC5ILU

edit on 30-1-2011 by tomdham because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2011 by tomdham because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TigaHawk

Sounds great while done on the cartoon network, unfortunately I don't think that everyone has the ability or bandwidth to accept one million requests to connect at any given moment. Universities used to have ftp and gopher addresses, even kermit databases. I'm not up to date on any given stat reps on spec edu servers, but a network such as you described could be set up for such a thing. Several most likely are already set up, all one would have to do is find the IT administrator to get info on one if it exists. Most likely, if he has long hair lol, one exists.

These were the back webs where folks like Kevin Mitchnick got the business end of thier hacking done... and programs like the lophat crack worked overtime to crack open the Back Office networks.

I also remember there being a gaming protocol once that came into existance for the original Quake game, which formatted it's url as quake://gameserveraddress.edu... something like this could be set up as well.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
theres already at least four threads on this topic.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
i can't believe i'm still seeing people say the government can't or won't do it. well, they did! first egypt, now possibly syria. people seem to forget the whole point of knocking out the internet is disrupt information flow, not necessarily put an end to it. the slower the info, the harder it is and longer it takes to organize.

first off, the majority of internet service, as has been discussed on ATS before, runs through reston va, which is, coincidentally, basically a government complex (the way i understand it). the rest are fairly small isp's on the borders who probably route through either canada or mexico, and let's not forget COICA, which says the government can block foreign sites and isp's who allow access to sites that allow copyright infringement. mobile broad band types who are owned by companies who are already notorious for handing out info on subscribers to the government. so why wouldn't they shut down service when they're told to? it's all about the bottom line for them. and don't forget one of the largest cellular providers in the united states is verizon, which is like 49% owned by voda phone. the same company who just shut down internet in egypt. so, please stop saying it can't or won't happen. because it can, has and will happen again.

oh, i forgot. umm.. c.b. and walkie talkie will probably be the best way to get info in or out. not very secure or private, and in the case of walkie talkies, not able to reach long distances, but are still forms of communication.
edit on 30-1-2011 by notsofast because: oops. forgot.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Nice post S&F to the OP! Keep those trusty 56K modems on stand-by its lookin like it may come to that someday!!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

They would never cut off the internet unless the world had literally been sliced in half.

The internet and the phone lines are their number one source of information, be it friendly or not.

It's their easiest asset to spy on, so why would they cut it off?

They know we would communicate with each other somehow anyways.

It'd have to be big.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
In today's world people rely on material goods to much I for one see the Internet as a luxury not a neseserty when we was young we didn't have it and we all did ok we would probably communicate more if we didn't have it because no we all go of in our little bubbles in stead of talking to the people we love...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Specific sub-topic.

Read this thread and thought you all would appreciate this.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SmellMyHoop

That is the idea,hook the masses and watch them self distruct.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join