It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africans want to contract aids for free drugs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

english.aljazeera.net

A new street drug called Whoonga is sweeping through townships across the South African city of Durban.

Aside from its increasing popularity, what is of most concern is the lengths Whoonga addicts are willing to go to get their hands on one of its key components - a life-saving HIV medication.

Al Jazeera's Jonah Hull reports from Durban where the drug is leading some addicts to take extreme action.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
This is not exactly breaking news but I did a search and found nothing on ATS about this crazy issue. When I first watched this video i thought it was some kind of sick joke. What sort of hold must this mix of rat poison, detergent and anti retro virus drugs have on people to make them keen to catch an incurable fatal disease?

english.aljazeera.net

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
thats just craziness. Im not sure what to think about that. I found another old article about it, but this even claims that-

Whoonga smokers may be fooling themselves into believing the AIDS drugs are giving them a high, when it's really some other ingredient, says Dr. Njabulo Mabaso, an AIDS expert.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Oh yeah i remember this. Some idiot figured out you could get high from smoking AIDS drugs. You can get high from smoking about anything??

Sadly, nothing more than a typical waste of resources. An excellent insight into the minds of some though.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Im still not convinced aids exists. Everyone needs to watch the documentary "house of numbers". It won best documentary last year. Now, I'm not trying to be close-minded about this whole situation bc obviously these poor people in Africa are getting sick with something. However, don't you find it a little odd that the people who are malnourished and/or poverty stricken (aka extremely weak immune systems) are ending up with this so called virus? The most interesting part about current HIV testing is that you can take certain immune enhancing drugs (just for heath reasons) and you'll test positive one day and be negative the next.

Obviously this isn't a view I'm attached to at the hip, however, just wanted to promote discussion. Thoughts!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Whoonga is heroin. The dealers stretch it with whatever's on hand that blends with heroin. Anti-retroviral pills, aspirin, sugar, cream of tartar, whatever's pale and will dissolve for use.

The use of AIDS pills is just a handy bit of sensationalism, along with a healthy dose of "those stupid Africans are being dumb negros and smoking their aids pills, haw haw haw!"

It sort of relates to that "jenkum" BS that was floating around a few years back.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Yup yup i heard the same stories about Aid patients smoking the meds...... Funny but hey if it does it for you.....

Remember African culture or rather the true African culture believe in alot of things we would normally laugh at,
So if they wanne smoke there woonga hehe i suppose let em....

As for people getting aids for the meds?
I highly Doubt that, but you never know...

The even knocked off one of the hospitals for the meds....
crazy world we live in...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by daleomaleo
Im still not convinced aids exists. Everyone needs to watch the documentary "house of numbers". It won best documentary last year. Now, I'm not trying to be close-minded about this whole situation bc obviously these poor people in Africa are getting sick with something. However, don't you find it a little odd that the people who are malnourished and/or poverty stricken (aka extremely weak immune systems) are ending up with this so called virus? The most interesting part about current HIV testing is that you can take certain immune enhancing drugs (just for heath reasons) and you'll test positive one day and be negative the next.

Obviously this isn't a view I'm attached to at the hip, however, just wanted to promote discussion. Thoughts!

Come visit us here in Africa....... hahahaha,,, Dont worry though you can take a shower after having sex with a hiv positive person and you wont catch it.... wahahahaha

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RE2505

english.aljazeera.net

A new street drug called Whoonga is sweeping through townships across the South African city of Durban.

Aside from its increasing popularity, what is of most concern is the lengths Whoonga addicts are willing to go to get their hands on one of its key components - a life-saving HIV medication.

Al Jazeera's Jonah Hull reports from Durban where the drug is leading some addicts to take extreme action.

"Africans want to contract aids for free drugs."

the above comment is a a racist generalization, maybe you didn't mean it that way but you should be a little more careful with your words, else you will give some people the wrong idea

-just sayin

=

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Cybertron

Haha You first

top topics

join