It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No opting out of Facebook turning your check-ins, likes into ads

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

No opting out of Facebook turning your check-ins, likes into ads

arstechnica.com

Better go check your Facebook profile pic to make sure it's suitable for advertising—the company has begun using real users' postings in ads being shown to their friends. The effort is eerily similar to parts of the now-defunct Facebook Beacon, but Facebook is now calling them "sponsored stories," and users won't be able to opt out of their posts being used to advertise to friends.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Facebook has decided to generate some advertising revenue, and you're going to help them.

Unless you have the right privacy settings ticked in your account, any of your check-ins and likes can be purchased by an advertiser. In which case, your profile picture, and your comments, verbatim, will be turned into a mini advertisement, and sent to people on your friends list.

And Facebook doesn't feel the need to tell you they've just sold rights to your image and comments in a given instance.

So it might pay to be careful in the future when you click on that little likes button on any given site.

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-1-2011 by Klassified because: Add+Correct

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
That's odd. I figured they'd eventually do that. If you comment ABOUT a product it normally shows up on that particular fan page, if you "liked" it... and they, it seems, are using your comments if it's worth reading.

I do know my, gorgeous, friend Ashley was found in an ad... She reported it to FB and got it removed. But ya, used her pretty face to sell perfume.. wtf!?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

You'd think they could at least kick out an e-mail saying: Hey, mind if we use your pic and comments?
But I guess that would make too much sense.

edit on 26-1-2011 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Its interesting that not many people are paying attention to this.
Most people are not even aware that Goldman Sachs has cornered this market,
and is banking on it already. Facebook stock.

S&F.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

You're right. And I hadn't even thought about that when I posted this. Thanks for adding that.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Avoid Facebook and this won't even be a problem. I can't figure out why people are into this. I don't care to share any knowledge of my whereabouts or goings on. Anyone who blindly posts pics and discusses where they will be are opening themselves up to real problems. If it's not you, then it's the next guy.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Just set your privacy for EVERYTHING to exactly who can see those things and then noone else can get them. And if your profile pic is such that you would be upset at a stranger seeing it then why is on facebook in the first place when millions of users can see it anyway?!

All people need to do is use their intelligence. Change privacy settings. Simple. Facebook legally cannot share anything that you have not already given permission for.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

All people need to do is use their intelligence. Change privacy settings. Simple. Facebook legally cannot share anything that you have not already given permission for.

Well said. The privacy settings are a key to this. Unfortunately, most people won't even think to do this until they've been sold several times.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Klassified because: Correction

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Are you going to post up her picture or are we supposed to believe you? Cmon this is ATS. We want proof that your friend is gorgeous.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
A little additional info on Beacon since it was mentioned in the OP.

Beacon was a part of Facebook's advertisement system that sent data from external websites to Facebook, ostensibly for the purpose of allowing targeted advertisements and allowing users to share their activities with their friends. Certain activities on partner sites were published to a user's News Feed. Beacon was launched on November 6, 2007 with 44 partner websites. The controversial service, which became the target of a class action lawsuit, was shut down in September 2009.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Why should they ask you? When you put anything on facebook you grant them the right to use that information in any way they see fit. People really should read the terms and conditions when signing up for places like facebook rather than complaining after the fact. Ignorance isnt an excuse.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
the fact that the owners fb account was hacked was a simple case of luck ....

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I do know my, gorgeous, friend Ashley was found in an ad... She reported it to FB and got it removed. But ya, used her pretty face to sell perfume.. wtf!?

She should have pushed for royalties

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Avoid Facebook and this won't even be a problem. I can't figure out why people are into this. I don't care to share any knowledge of my whereabouts or goings on. Anyone who blindly posts pics and discusses where they will be are opening themselves up to real problems. If it's not you, then it's the next guy.

i use face crook as a farsical home page... because i noticed that 99.99% of all the traffic
(disguised as 'friends') were just promotring their thing/product/web/agendas......

i'm vick von lunas and i only put a pic and profile so i could log-in my comments on other
sites where reader comments are allowed & encouraged...without actually joining crap like
'SLATE' or the msnbc list of venues...
i really cannot list the sites that i link up with the Face-Crook account info...its easy enough to do
and one dosen't need to create more blasted names or passwords to lodge a verbal response...
and then wait to set up the account with a legit e-mail address.

for all the FB faults... its OK... and if one wasn't savvy to the fact that they were going to play you...
then your in the kindergarden of web-life.... sorry

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers

Why should they ask you? When you put anything on facebook you grant them the right to use that information in any way they see fit. People really should read the terms and conditions when signing up for places like facebook rather than complaining after the fact. Ignorance isnt an excuse.

Also a good point. Even without reading the T&C, this is pretty much a given on any of these sites, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

She should have pushed for royalties

You Sir need to be quite..why is it ...why..is that you are always were you are least expected.

edit on 26-1-2011 by tristar because: typo

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I only use facebook as a FREE web-based personal contacts service. I don't post pictures (except my profile), I don't "write on my wall", "status", or any of that crap. As soon as one of my ding bat friends "tags" my account name to a photo, I "un-tag" it.

Personally, I think it's a great FREE service, and if I don't do anything on their stupid website, then I'm not really helping them out and quite possibly draining them of funding

Oh, and if someone contacts me via facebook, I just either text/email/call them back directly outside of Facebook.

Thanks for the FREE service, suckers!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Glad I don't have a facebook, no worries with the new news.

So we have a corporate spy tool using you for deceptive advertising revenue?
Does not shock me at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
FB is anything but free or innocent and do not have any misconceptions about it. It has been placed into the human social order as google has under one guideline otherwise it would not exist at this level. This is no business venture that went ballistic under the notion of capitalism.

You simply do not and cannot reach that level of achievement without APPROVAL. Do we understand each other here within here ?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join