It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No opting out of Facebook turning your check-ins, likes into ads

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

I have set my privacy levels to the greatest...still if you are on Facebook you *CAN* be found *WITHIN*....

I was hacked, and I have nothing on FB to attach to my businesses, and what-not...

I love being in contact with those abroad and in other states but I will resort to non-google forms of email

Facebook, hear this, (as if you care) *Another one bites the dust*!!!!

edit on 26-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I don't use Face Book. I don't understand the appeal really. If I want to talk to somebody I will call them or shoot them an e-mail. I don't need to hang out on a site and constantly tell people about my life. Why have people gotten so obsessed with these sites?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I don't get it? Facebook is a fantastic marketing tool for Small and smaller Medium sized businesses, it is a good way to keep up with or communicate with family and friends you may not otherwise have time to catch up with.
So if this service remains free who cares if they try to turn a profit with material you created on their platform and have already consented to be used?

I think the confusion comes into play over some sort of expected privacy. Facebook is like hanging out in a restaurant. Don't do anything you don't want people to see you doing, don't say anything you don't want heard, and if you do use the bathroom look over your shoulder and know you could be spied on.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Seems like it went ballistic almost overnight, too. Maybe with a little help from their friends.

edit on 26-1-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

I don't need to hang out on a site and constantly tell people about my life.

I've seen people say things on fb that I don't even say in person. They just lay their whole life out there it seems.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
People with active FB account should be banned on ATS. To have FB account is .... childish, irresponsible, ...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad2
People with active FB account should be banned on ATS. To have FB account is .... childish, irresponsible, ...

This is the most ridiculous *statement* I've heard today!

So now you want ATS to go around checking for members with FB accounts?

How much more childish and irresponsible can you get?

Is ATS now government or co-partners with a similar site?

Get Real. (Even though I plan to leave FB....
...I've only kept it to keep in touch with numbers of family/friends abroad and in other states efficiently and efffectively.)

edit on 26-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I think people who are on facebook really need to be carefull about what they say on there.

A guy from my city has been in court this week for posting some derogatory comments about a Northern Irish politican.

What ever happened to freedom of speech?

And also this week a girl from another part of Northern Ireland has lost her job and become 'Irelands most hated woman' for posting derogatory comments about a woman who was murdered ( terrible thing for the girl to do of course ) but it just goes to show that someone is always watching what you say on Facebook.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

There must be a hundred or more stories of people losing their job due to fb comments. It's crazy.

Ashley Johnson had a good job making good money as a waitress at Brixx Pizza on Sixth Street in uptown Charlotte. But that changed about a week ago, when a couple came in for lunch and stayed for three hours - forcing her to work an hour past her quitting time.

Johnson did what most folks who need a good rant do nowadays. When she got home, she went on Facebook. "Thanks for eating at Brixx," she wrote, "you cheap piece of ---- camper." And like a growing number of workers, she found out the hard way that what you say on social networks can be used against you, particularly if you're in a position of public trust or public service.

Facebook Post...

And that's just one among many that turn up on a google search. Best to keep some opinions to ourselves.

edit on 26-1-2011 by Klassified because: Fix link

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

One of my friend's kid got suspended from school because of a face book comment. He said "Mr.____ accused me of cheating because I got too high of a score. He said I must have cheated off of _____. I wish I could punch him in the face untill he passes out."

He was suspended for three days for making threats. He didn't actually make a threat, he expressed frustration and helplessness. Instead of addressing the situation they gave him the boot.

Face book is like living in a glass house. I just can't understand why people want to give away their privacy and give someone else the permission to make money off of their face and words. I woul never have believed people would dance so merrily in to the loss of privacy.
edit on 26-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

I don't need to hang out on a site and constantly tell people about my life.

I've seen people say things on fb that I don't even say in person. They just lay their whole life out there it seems.

I have seen this too. I had a face book account for my company. I saw so many people telling intimate secrets on line that it was amazing. The sad part is they were friends with politicians and companies. So they were freely giving away information to people that could use it for their profit.

I often wonder if people get so entangled in face book more out of a need to be accepted or narcissism?

As much as I hate the lack of privacy, part of it is that I don't feel like my life is interesting enough for people to need hourly or daily updates. I know I don't want to be updated on most people's life that often.

I guess I'm just out of touch or an anachronism.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I often wonder if people get so entangled in face book more out of a need to be accepted or narcissism?

I can see pros and cons to sites like fb. But I think sometimes it's sheer boredom, and nothing better to do.
But I see what you're saying.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

Indeed, fix your settings. You can even pick from your friends you have who can see what or if they can even post on your wall. Go to privacy settings and edit them.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

The games.......

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
I don't need to hang out on a site and constantly tell people about my life. Why have people gotten so obsessed with these sites?

I thought that was what ATS was for?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad2

Can you supply a source for this?

Anyways i am always left sitting dumbfounded every time i read something like this "OH noes facebook has gone and done something... AGAIN"!
Come on people you all have full acsess to a very detailed privacy settings. You can tailor your privacy settings almost down to each idividual friend. Even if you do not bother to read the T&C where it states that you are giving them permission to do with your info as they please when posting it. You can still make sure that no one else will see your info except the people that you want to see it.

How to opt out:
Go to privacy settings and make sure all your comments and posts are only visible to the people you want them to be visible to. (no this will not disable the adds but it will only make the adds visible to thouse that can see your comments if you do not want any adds to show at all then very simply do not click on "like" on any other website other then facebook)
Go to privacy settings and DISABLE "check-ins" or set it to "visable to only me" (unless you are perfectly happy with everyone knowing exactly where you are at most times of course)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
people are too paranoid when it comes to facebook... the new privacy settings let you control everything, and are really simple to navigate, so i really don't see what the problem is...

as far as people getting fired over comments they made about their boss or whatever, yeah, well, you have to be really smart to be friends with the boss or your co workers and then write bad things about them. what did they think would happen?

and thinking that facebook makes you give up all your personal information is just wrong! nobody is forcing you to give up anything, you can have a completely made up profile with a fake picture, or a profile with no information and no picture if you want.

and by the way, there is no privacy on the internet. your ISP tracks everything you do, all sorts of sites have your info, and if someone really wanted to "find" you or spy on you or whatever, it's so simple it's ridiculous.

so just relax and pay a little attention to what information you provide and everything should be ok

oh, and the title of this thread is wrong, because you can "opt out" if you set you privacy settings right.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DaskeenAzul

oh, and the title of this thread is wrong, because you can "opt out" if you set you privacy settings right.

The title of this thread is the same as the headline of the article. And although changing ones privacy settings could be interpreted as an "opt out", I don't think that's what the headline was talking about.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by tristar

Seems like it went ballistic almost overnight, too. Maybe with a little help from their friends.

I wouldn't call it help, but rather like immense resources at hand. Although it has all the indications of a test and prove trial run.

edit:
Update:

"A Facebook spokesman provided this e-mail statement today: 'A bug enabled status postings by unauthorized people on a handful of public pages. The bug has been fixed.'

Whoever is responsible only had the ability to post on the page and did not have access to private data on the Facebook account, Joe Sullivan, chief security officer at Facebook, said in a follow-up interview with CNET. 'It was a very limited bug in that it only applied to the ability to post,' he said.

Specifically, the bug was in an API (application programming interface) that allows publishing functionality on the site, said Ryan McGeehan, security manager for incident response at Facebook."

Link
edit on 27-1-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
there is a British word I heard years ago, 'Loonies' or 'Loony' I presume shot for Lunatic, anyway, a word I think sums up those people so in love with a site that is there for information mining, cannot see any other real reason for it,
surely if someone wants to keep in contact with family and friends, they have telephone numbers, email address' or snail mail address'?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join