It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Olmec and the Elephant "toy"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Taken from www.sitchin.com

www.sitchin.com...
===============================
The ruins and remains of Mexico's pre-Columbian civilizations enchant, intrigue, fascinate and puzzle. Of them the oldest and earliest, that of people referred-to as Olmecs, is the most enigmatic -- for they challenge present-day scholars to explain how had people from Africa come and settled and thrived in this part of the New World, thousands of years before Columbus.

The Discovery

We know how they looked because they left behind countless sculptures, marvelously carved in stone, depicting them; some, in fact, are stone portraits of Olmec leaders; colossal in size, they immortalize in stone what, to many, has been an unpleasant enigma.
The first colossal stone head was discovered in the Mexican state of Veracruz back in 1869. Its discoverer reported it in the Bulletin of the Mexican Geographical and Statistical Society as "a magnificent sculpture that most amazingly represents an Ethiopian." The report included a drawing clearly showing the stone head's Negroid features; and that doomed the discovery to oblivion...

The Re-Discovery

It was not until 1925 that the existence of the Olmecs was reaffirmed when an archaeological team from Tulane University found another such gigantic stone head in the adjoining Mexican state of Tabasco; it measured about eight feet in height and weighed some twenty four tons.

In time, many more such colossal sculptures have been found; they depict distinctly different individuals wearing helmets; they also clearly depict, in each case, a person with African features -- black Africans.
As archaeological discovery followed archaeological discovery, it became evident that in a vast central area of Mexico stretching from the Gulf coast to the Pacific coast, these "Olmecs" built major urban centers, engaged in mining, were the first in Mesoamerica to have a calendar and hieroglyphic writing, and established what is by now recognized as Mesoamerica's Mother Civilization.

The problem that this posed was twofold: Not only the issue of Negroid Africans somehow crossing the Atlantic Ocean and settling in the New World before others; but also the incredible antiquity of such arrival. This problem was dealt with by first suggesting that the Olmecs appeared after more famed peoples such as the Mayas; then by grudgingly acknowledging earlier dates B.C. --250 B.C., then 500 B.C., then 1250 B.C., then even 1500 B.C.

Faced with such evidence, the solution was to deny that these were Africans ... Even now a noted scholar, writing in the official catalogue of the Museum of Anthropology of Jalapa, states in regard to the individuals depicted in the sculptures: "in spite of the general similarity of features -- flat noses with flaring nostrils and thickened lips (leading some to falsely claim an African origin for the Olmec)," etc.

So: "To falsely claim an African origin for the Olmecs"!

And this brings me to the Case of the Missing Elephant.

An Elephant Among the Wheels

Jalapa, a gem of a town, is about two hours' drive from Veracruz (where the Spanish Conquistador Hernan Cortes landed in 1519). Its museum is undoubtedly second only to the famed one in Mexico City; but unlike Mexico City's which displays artifacts from all over the country, the Jalapa one exhibits only locally discovered artifacts -- predominantly Olmec ones.

Dramatically and effectively displayed in an innovative setting, the Museum boasts several colossal stone heads as well as other stone sculptures. It also displays smaller objects found at Olmec sites; among them, in special display showcases, are what are considered to be Olmec "toys." They include animals mounted on wheels -- a visual and evidentiary negation of the common claim that the people of Mesoamerica (and America in general) were unfamiliar with the wheel.

And included in the same display case were elephants -- "toys" made of clay.

Gone - Where and Why?

I, and some of my fans who accompanied me, saw them on previous visits to the Museum.

BUT when I (and again some of my fans with me) was there recently -- in December 1999 -- the elephants were nowhere in sight!

I could find no one in authority to obtain an explanation from. But that the elephants were once there was a fact indeed, here is a photograph of one, shot on a previous visit:

Now, here is the significance of this small artifact: There are no, and never have been, elephants in the Americas. There are and have been elephants in Africa. And a depiction of an elephant could have been made only by someone who has seen an elephant, i.e. someone who has been to Africa!
At this and other museums later visited in December 1999, guards have asserted that objects that I wished to point out and that were written up in my book The Lost Realms but somehow vanished, were loaned for an overseas exhibit.

Perhaps. But that such a hard-to-explain depiction of an elephant would be selected to highlight Mexico's ancient heritage, is either unlikely or highly significant.

I suppose one will have to revisit Jalapa and find out whether the little elephant is back among the "toys."

ZECHARIA SITCHIN

� Z. Sitchin 2000
=============================

On his website he has pictures of the drawings of the stone heads, I've seen them on various channels such as Discovery, History, and National Geographic in the past, and IMO They do look like they are of African Descent, but how was it possible for them to know what elephants looked like if they did not see one for themselves?

Will post more info soon!

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Very interesting I have never heard of the Olmec. I will have to see what I can find out.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
the information is innacurrate, there were once Elephants in America, in fact, the most widely accepted theory is that Early peoples from Asia followed the Mammoth's over the land bridge from Asia to America

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Was there elephants in south america?

What remains of wooly mammoths have been found in south america?

what about the african appearance of the statue heads?
is that false according to you as well?

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
latin America is not South America, it is quite possible the Mammoths or similar might have made their way down there

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
and originally you just said "the americas" not "south america

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Do you think these Olmec saw them? I am not an expert on anything to do with elephants and I am willing to take your word. But don't you admit that it's sorta odd to see those faces of what appear to be of african blood? As most that came through the land bridge wouldve been of Mongol descent? I havent really researched Olmec's and Elephants, I know mammoths were in North America for certain... But during the ice ice wouldn't Central America down to south America been considerable warmer than North?? That Article just caught my eye and I find it interesting.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Crystal Links Olmec Site

Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl. We've all heard the name before. "He's that Feathered Serpent of Ancient Mexico". However, that only answers the WHAT. Ask, WHO he was, and you might get an answer along the lines of an unintelligble stare; or the standard response, "Yeah. He was the guy who was suppose to return from the East to reclaim his power, but the Indians mistook Cort�s for him instead". Though it might seem a simple enough question, a far more involved and complicated answer is necessary.

First of all, Quetzalcoatl was a god of such importance and power that nearly no aspect of everyday life seemed to go untouched by him. Secondly, as a historical figure, his actions would nor could not be contained by the History and thus eventually evolved into myth. And as a legend, he would signal the end of mortal kingship. An interesting phenomena that distinguished Quetzalcoatl is that despite the fact he is not the most powerful of gods within the Mesoamerican pantheon, or one of the eldest, he is nonetheless an integral part of the system. This was partially accomplished by his ability to integrate himself so securely to attributes of his fellow brethren, to such an extent that it is virtually impossible to tell if Quetzalcoatl was the true originator or vise versa. Hence, to establish a single definitive personality to a god is extremely difficult.

Lastly, it must be kept in mind that despite Quetzalcoatl being an Aztec name, the cultures preceding them had their name for him as well, and applying their own unique attributes to him. Consequently, Quetzalcoatl is related to many names and incarnations, and seems to play a prominent role in a pantheon of virtually all the other Mesoamerican deities. Quetzalcoatl himself goes by the names of Gukumatz, Nine Wind, and Kukulcan among others. These are the most common names found in the general Aztec and Mayan cultures, with Quetzalcoatl maintaining a host of avatars with whom he is intimately connected with or represented by. There are also certain gods that Quetzalcoatl is involved with most of the time as well, such as Xolotl, Tlaloc, Xipe, and Tezcatlipoca. These "upper level" gods are either contrary, complimentary, or both at the same time towards Quetzalcoatl, creating a sense of duality around these myths.

Duality itself runs rampant in myth, as well as being found in the astronomical/cosmological associations between Quetzalcoatl and the heavens and stars. Questions run the gamut from his morning star associations (as Venus) to the possibilities of his connection with Mercury. Ultimately it is this symbolism that runs through the myth and its astrological and cosmological incarnations which raise the questions and hint at Quetzalcoatl's power and pervasiveness. These questions and others will be dealt with in more detail in the labyrinth of our web pages found here.

[Edited on 20-3-2003 by ~*��Gl�W-�tԩk����J±�*~]

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~*��Gl�W-�tԩk����J±�*~
Do you think these Olmec saw them? I am not an expert on anything to do with elephants and I am willing to take your word. But don't you admit that it's sorta odd to see those faces of what appear to be of african blood? As most that came through the land bridge wouldve been of Mongol descent? I havent really researched Olmec's and Elephants, I know mammoths were in North America for certain... But during the ice ice wouldn't Central America down to south America been considerable warmer than North?? That Article just caught my eye and I find it interesting.

i do find it intriguing and am not disagreeing with any other part of the article, i just wanted to point out that yes, at one time there were in fact Elephants (or ancestors) in the Americas

whether or not the Olmecs saw them (though i think it rather obvious that they did at one time) i dont know

something that may tie in, i saw a program a couple years ago on discovery that talked about how some of the mummies in Egypt were found with coc aine in their system, a drug that at that time was only found in the Americas

I think it is quite possible, even likely, that there was a global trade system at that time and that may account for both the African faces and the Elephant

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
I think it is quite possible, even likely, that there was a global trade system at that time and that may account for both the African faces and the Elephant

I agree with you I do think we couldve had global trade going on, I have also heard that the Olmec just "vanished" well my friend and I were talking about it and he said that, I am sure he didnt just pull that out of his ass, when I see him on ICQ I will ask him where he read this.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
it is true from what i know, nobody knows what happened to them

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
And since Mammoths did exist in the Americas, there is no reason to believe that their descendants didn't either... It's possible that they simply got wiped out here, similar to the endangerment they still face. As for the African faces...there is some good evidence that there was some global trading (primarily as a monopoly by the Phonecians)....

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
There is also another elephant-mammoth like creature the Olmecs have depicted in thier stone cavrings on temples.It's very detailed and large! I wonder if there is more to the Ancient America than we know,heck I should know.

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
There are also stone carving of tigers too,they were huge in side.They would be seen in the rivers,lakes,and swampsland in Central and South America.Could these tigers be a long exsticnted pre-historic lion/tiger?

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
i'm certain that there was global trade. there have been many ancient Egyptian artifacts found up and down the Mississippi River and in caves in Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
the only way the elephants could have been native would be if the olmecs are much, much older then they have been dated.....does anyone know how valid the dating is?

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Here is a link on the subject of possible coc aine use in egypt:
www.uiowa.edu...
This indicates there may have been contact between ancient Afican civilzations and South America. Also look at the thread "Archaeologists Unearth Stonehenge Bodies". The article qouted stated that the man was from Switzerland which is a long way from home for 2300 B. C. It seems that evidence is growing that the ancients traveled around more than what was once thought.

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hmmm... This was from Zecharia Sitchin, of Nibiru fame so I am not sure where his is going with this. It is likely he is going to use it as proof of the "twelth planet."

Someone brought up a good point: while elephants may have never been in south america, nomads traveling from north america may have made little statues of mastodons. I am going to try to meet Sitchin sometime and ask him about his work, this will be added to my list of questions. It won't be that hard, as he lives near my school and is a friend of a teacher there.

XAOS

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
xaos

Ask him if he's a Mason or if he belongs to any other mystery schools!

ONE

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 05:43 PM
link   
If it was long long ago....and if ancient legends are correct....what might have contributed to the ease of trade between these continents, is Atlantis.

The ruins that have been found 2000 ft down off the coast of Cuba could support the idea that Atlantis was once located there.

If this could be true, the distance travelers would have had to travel would have been significantly reduced. And would have made trade very possible.

Phimes

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join