It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise of the Chav

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Mods please feel free to move this to the appropiate section.

In the past 10-15 years Britain has seen the rise of a social underclass known as the Chav, for people who are not from the UK and are unaware of this term please look HERE for a definition of the term.

Here is a picture of the typical Chav,

Note the poor dress sense, the excessive use of burberry and the use of cheap jewellery brought for the local market, see the vacant expression in their faces.

Ok, all joking aside now...

It is most likely the media that has made people more aware of these people and in part facilitated their rise in the British culture. Chavs are generally poorly educated, white and working class (this is not a dig btw, I am a proud working class male), I think the problem is down to society and one that has failed many young people who believe that in dressing like this and adopting a certain culture that in many ways is at odds of that of the UK's, there is a massive problem here and that is alchohol and binge drinking which in turn adds to a lot of anti-social behaviour that blights the country.

So what needs to be highlighted here is the fact that, "Chavs", are dissillusioned with a country that they feel has left them behind, a country that does not care and I see their actions as their rebellion against the system. Is it the correct action to take? No, certainly not.

Now to my main point, what can be done to stop the negative effects that happen due to, "chavs"....

Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This might work!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89b3b9a5e621.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

"Nargh mate ya as No idea what u is On abat, With yer silly puple trosers and Bageh Soks, I is of down ta park ta buy sum cereal with ma Coin"

This is actually how the common chav talks, You get good ones sometimes but most of them just make britain look bad

Star for your post OP

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

"Nargh mate ya as No idea what u is On abat, With yer silly puple trosers and Bageh Soks, I is of down ta park ta buy sum cereal with ma Coin"

This is actually how the common chav talks, You get good ones sometimes but most of them just make britain look bad

Yes their language skills have a lot to be desired, but is this down to lack of education? or a rebellion of sorts where they are creating a "dialect" of sorts, in order to stand out.
If it is down to a lack of education then it is society who has failed...
But I tend to think it may be a mix of both.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Try and persuade all the elderly folk in your country to dress like these "chavs"
after a while these kids wont think its so cool anymore

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
These type of people have been around for centuries. Just the fact that they've adapted a certain clothing style doesn't mean a thing. Not educated enough to actually understand anything that goes on outside of their little world. Drinking away their unhappiness and sorrow blaming the government for their often leaning against poverty situation.

I'm sure that every country has these type of people. Often good folks with good intent, but usually easily influenced and seem to lack a real opinion or the ability to draw logical conclusions.

They'd soon be replaced by robots is my guess.
edit on 25-1-2011 by no special characters because: some mistakes

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

In all honesty it isnt really lack of education so much as a choice of life, Ive got a chav freind who's IQ Exceeds the considerable amount of asbos he has, Hes actually quite darn untelligent, if only he didnt talk in a way that made him look thick

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Chavs are a strange group in the UK...

They can be seen on the nature program, the Jeremy Kyle show, discussing their day-today life of paternity tests and out of control drug use.

Not sure what the solution is, but removing EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) in the UK is definitely not going to help the situation. More kids will be leaving further education and perpetuate the problem.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mathoryn

Try and persuade all the elderly folk in your country to dress like these "chavs"
after a while these kids wont think its so cool anymore

haha

Sounds like a plan to me!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Maybe we should just round them all up and put them into camps.

They are people. Just because they dress or talk differently it doesn't make them scum.
edit on 25-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverAcquiesce
Chavs are a strange group in the UK...

They are indeed a strange group, they seem to delight in being as close to pond-scum as they can get.

They can be seen on the nature program, the Jeremy Kyle show, discussing their day-today life of paternity tests and out of control drug use.

Ah yes, the natural habbitat of any self respecting Chav, I watch it often and laugh out loud most of the time at what pathetic lives the people on there lead.

If you ever feel depressed, simply watch the Jeremy Kyle show and I guarentee that you'll instantly feel better! lol

Not sure what the solution is, but removing EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) in the UK is definitely not going to help the situation. More kids will be leaving further education and perpetuate the problem.

Are Chavs in further education? I always assumed they live out their lives on Jobseekers Allowance! lol...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

They are people. Just because they dress or talk differently it doesn't make them scum.

Tell that to an old lady who got mugged the other day from around the corner from where I live by a gang of drunken chavs

or

say that to the parents of Sophie Lancaster, who got beaten to death by a gang of chavs a few years back, simply because she dressed differently!
edit on 25-1-2011 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08

Tell that to an old lady who got mugged the other day from around the corner from where I live by a gang of drunken chavs

So all chav's are responsible for mugging that old lady?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
good thing to do would be to destroy the word chav its quite offensive kinda similar to the world prole
people my age get called chav for just being young. obviously there are people who are a nuisance but doesnt mean there all un educated. i dought there a actuall threat probally the opposite we are the people !
(im not a chav)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

No, but I would bring into question the general attitude of people like that... that is the problem

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tdrowe2010
good thing to do would be to destroy the word chav its quite offensive kinda similar to the world prole
people my age get called chav for just being young. obviously there are people who are a nuisance but doesnt mean there all un educated. i dought there a actuall threat probally the opposite we are the people !
(im not a chav)

I think you are totally misunderstanding what I am saying here...

It's not young people that is the problem, it is a small minority of disillusioned people who think they can do as they please and act as if they were the majority, regardless of other people and the problems the attitude of Chavs create.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This trend is not confined to one nation or even one continent. My nephew, who lives with me, behaves in exactly the same caddish manner (minus the English accent). To listen to him speak you'd think you were listening to a Lil Jon interview... The problem is that he's a 19 year old suburban white kid who's been mentally poisoned by the MTV into thinking of himself as a "gangsta".

It's quite laughable really, to listen to the prattlings of a child whose idea of the "hood" is an upscale neighborhood and our local mall.

These poor kids are so mixed up regarding their sense of identity and their desire to belong. And the commercial rap industry cashes in on this epidemic of identity crisis massively... An entire generation of kids who grow up thinking that money, violence, and sex are ideals.

I can't wait for the next generation to come along - rebelling against everything that the previous generation embraced. It's inevitable and just about due.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08

No, but I would bring into question the general attitude of people like that... that is the problem

The chav definition is a young person who wears expensive clothes and accessories but has no taste.

I know a few chavs, who are happy to be called that, yet they are decent people. I wouldn't be friends with them if that wasn't the case.

It seems we have a few snobs here.

edit on 25-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
By the logic of this thread, all of us members of this conspiracy site are insane, paranoid nutters and should be locked up.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The chav definition is a young person who wears expensive clothes and accessories but has no taste.

I know a few chavs, who are happy to be called that, yet they are decent people. I wouldn't be friends with them if that was the case.

It seems we have a few snobs here.

I think you have YOUR chav definition somewhat skewed, yes they are young and that's where the similarities in your definition end, A true chav will buy cheap clothing and accesories from a local market, most often faked goods in order to look like they have money, when 8/10 this is not the case, they are lazy dole dossing people.

Well prehaps your friends are into chav culture, but if they are wearing expensive clothes then I highly doubt they are actual chavs, I bet they live in a fairly affluent area? Take it from someone who does not, where actual chavs are prevelent...

I'm hardly a snob, if that were the case then I wouldn't be living in the area that I do and earning less than 100 pounds a week...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join