It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Garden of Eden, was it real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The biblical Garden of Eden was taken away from man because of sin, or the the bible and a few other texts say. The Bible says Edan was located east of Israel where four rivers meet- The Tigris and Euphrates and the Pison and Gihon. The later two have long been considered mythical but however; recent satellite photography suggest these rivers did exist in Iraq. Another theory places Eden's location beneath the Black Sea. Both the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh and Ancient Greek texts speak of a paradise lost.

I like to know if there is any other texts other than the Bible reinforce the idea of Eden and where it might be found? The Bible to me is more stories or guidelines on how you should live your life than historical fact. A good analogy would be the Bible to me is like a Dan Brown novel; it has facts in it but those facts have been bent to fit the story. So just like Atlantis is a mystery did a place like Eden really exist? Some facts I would suggest point to a Eden like place did exist.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It's somewhere beneath the North Pole/Antarctica (Argatha) with the central sun. Would love to see it while I'm still in skin.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by johnwordswu

Based upon the definite location of the two rivers today, it is most likely Iraq, or even up as far as Turkey.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The garden of eden was, imo, more of a metaphorical means of identifying a previous, actual realm of existence based on the ideals of oneness with love. More of an aspect of being than an actual place.

In other words, we were made of light/love in a realm of light/love and light/love was all we knew until we descended into the realm of knowledge that split our universe of light/love into a vast array of concepts other than light/love.

The bad thing is that none of these concepts that we are trying to learn in this realm of "knowledge" are anything compared to the concept of light/love, therefore, I see what a waste of time this whole realm of experience probably is/was.

Fortunately, we are on our way back.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The Tigris river was named Hiddekel in Genesis. It said this river goes toward the east of Assyria.
The river Pison encompasses the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold. That land has bdellium and the onyx stone. The river Gihon goes around the whole land of Ethiopia.

These civilizations did not exist in that time period. Moses was inspired to make a connection in his day. The Land of Nod seems to be the only ancient city from that era.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
No.

If the Garden of Eden was real and Adam and Eve really did live there, wouldn't humans have lots of wacky genetic mutations? There's two people, Adam and Eve, they have kids, and who do their kids reproduce with? Each other, which would result in either television-esque mutations, or it would just be really really weird and awkward. Or both.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

In that time it was just south of Kuwait now under the Persian Gulf. The sea was lower back then and thats were the known ancient rivers met.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I'm gonna make the call at the one place on earth that sounds the closest to eden even today and geographically it could work. Around the gulf of Aden.
edit on 24-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Flag and a star to just because you managed to apply more than a couple lines to your opener. Hell you even broke the paragraphs up. Good deal

edit on 24-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Mesopotamia = middle east. Oldest human remains have also been found there. (i think?)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Ya, its a place you create in your mind.

The man and woman allegory is probably to try to explain balance, or unbalance it depending on what you want to believe.

You create Eden in your mind everyday, yet you rarely go there. The questions you should really be asking are how and why.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Look for the gate being guarded by the angel with the flaming sword.
Second line.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Seriously though, here is a link....

www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The Garden of Eden is a metaphor, one that probably has multiple levels of intended meaning. But the thing about religious symbolism is any meaning it has is personal. If it touches you, then that's the meaning.

One meaning that struck me once (while I was out in the woods) was the purpose of humanity on earth and the destructiveness of the human ego. The earth is full of animals. One of those species of animals has two abilities that other animals do not: reason and love*.

That species was supposed to tend the garden (Earth). When a species does what it is naturally supposed to do, things are happy and harmonious. Humans can reason and love; these are our unique abilities and when used to tend the garden the humans are happy and so are the animals.

But instead of tending the garden, the humans became fascinated with their "lower" animal instincts (the "apple"). This fascination distracted them from their proper purpose and bred conflict and division, and the ego was born (the "Fall").

Now because of our egoistic selfishness, we are destroying the world. Because our spheres of genuine concern contain only ourselves, we are constantly in conflict with one another, and the idea of thinking about the Earth as a garden to tend with love and care is the furthest thing from our minds in our daily lives.

The punishment is the inevitable suffering that results from the ego. The reason we're all so disaffected and disgruntled and paranoid and depressed and anxious and fearful and resentful, that our lives are so full of pain, is a direct result of the Fall.

The big challenge in our lives and for our civilization is how to restore our "former" (remember this is allegory; there may not be a real chronological sequence involved) state of grace. Various attempts have been made. One such attempt, made most famously by mainstream Christianity, has been to repress our animal sides and pretend they don't exist. That attempt has of course failed miserably. The ego just reappeared (like Whac-A-Mole) in more perverse forms, and everybody became hypocrites, and humans continued just as destructive as always.

So the dilemma for humanity is an interesting one. Our basic, animal drives and the egos that they create are destroying the planet. Yet they cannot be denied or repressed or they will become even worse than before. This dilemma is real and deadly serious. If it is not resolved in a satisfactory manner, humans will eventually destroy themselves and all life on Earth.

Many writers have realized this fundamental dilemma and have commented on it. For example Carl Jung (especially in Answer to Job but his whole field of analytical psychology deals with the problem) and Samael Aun Weor.

*Note: I do not want to argue whether animals can love in this thread because that would derail it. Suffice it to say they can't, and yes I have pets. Our argument would devolve into one of definitions. How I define "love" refers to a unique ability that humans have that involves uniquely human abilities like commitment and responsibility, is inextricably linked with the ability to reason, and is not solely affectionate feelings.

edit on 25-1-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by authortobe
Look for the gate being guarded by the angel with the flaming sword.
Second line.
Oh, did you mean the Aurora Borealis? So many things taken out of context, but put them back in context, and your the insane one?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
IMHO its a state of mind. We are given NO freedoms, but still have to choose, I have chosen neither, yet I am in the balance based on their opinions, due to how may people take it serious. We are not in peril due to outside beings but within ourselves. Based on what was told many years ago. I fear man now, then I would have when the Salem witch trails began.

We are diverse, yet scared. This is what will be our downfall.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Eden does excist but it is the entire area of Earth itself!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yes it is real.

I have heard more and more myths turned out to be true. Growing up Troy was a myth with a message. No one will ever find it because it does not exist. Then they found it. That is just one example. Eden was a real place. I think it will be found one day. My thoughts is that it is in Armenia. I believe this due to the hints in books of Enoch.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archangelelijah

Eden does excist but it is the entire area of Earth itself!
I would agree except I would say past tense. In the past the entire earth was a garden of immense beauty and diversity. So why do we have death, deserts and destruction now? One answer, blockage!

I have been giving considerable thought to this subject, even to the point of self detriment. And I can not find appropriate words to describe what has happened. But that is not something new. The answer is so simple and old, and forgotten, that reviving it would appear insane to the world.

For those that are familiar with the expanding earth theory there is a huge stumbling block to it, namely how it can be, in the first place. Its so simple a child can comprehend it if it is given the true nature of the planet. For it is children who play with balloons.

The expanding earth theory can only take place if the planet is not solid. Ask any child to inflate a solid rubber ball into a balloon and he will tell you your crazy. First the ball must have a hole where you can blow air into it, and second it must have a cavity where the pressure can be exerted to force the expansion.

The earth on a global scale is no different. Presently it is a balloon with one opening. It is said that the planet has two but anyone with knowledge of the Antarctic Lake Vostock would understand the southern opening is frozen shut. And has been closed for a great deal of time (70 million years?)

If true, then the planet since that time has been acting like a balloon getting bigger and bigger over time. The reason is simple, the pressure is allowed to build on the interior due to the reported massive vegetation within the planet, and not allowed to exit to the surface to equalize the pressure.

The thickness of the planets "Wall" is probably at its maximum thinness that will remain fairly rigid and stable. Any thinner and it will become unstable to the point where the "Garden" can no longer be maintained.

The expanding earth theory is the key to proving the existence of the fabled "Garden of Edin". Now, it only exists within the planet, not the exterior where it existed so long ago. If the southern opening were to be opened once again their would be a time of resettling of the planet as it adjusted to the new pressure. The oxygen content of the atmosphere would increase and healing of the surface would begin, and the return to "Edin" would follow.

We, on the outer surface of this planet have been born into and held in a state of degradation from our inception. The reasons for this are shadowed in the mists of history but one can assume with some degree of accuracy that motivations must have had a role in it. Was it simply a act of nature that closed the southern opening or was it a willful act with a intended outcome. Well what are the results? What conditions are present on the surface of this planet? Do we act like we live in paradise, or are we separated on all levels?

I have received a great amount of how shall I put it, negative feed back, in the following. But on the other hand it does not effect the truthfulness or accuracy of the following theory. The great flood was not just the melting of the polar regions, it was also the intentional addition of water from other heavenly bodies. My personal suspicions are the waters of Mars, and possibly Tiamat, were brought here in a controlled manner to assist in the drowning out of humanity, and the destruction of "Edin". If it were only terrestrial melt waters involved, the waters would have been redeposited on the poles and the ancient water levels of 300 to 400 feet lower would have returned. This is not the case. This is why all the ancient building sites of 10,000 years ago are still under water.

The long term solution to global over population is to create a new "Edin" on Mars, and take the waters back, and not to follow the present depopulation plans, for they only fulfill the plans of those that brought the global flood in the first place...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think that it's a memory that was passed down generation after generation.

It's like hearing grandparents tell a story of where there grandparents came from.

Remember the good old days? Many of us like to tell stories and to a younger generation it must sound like we lived in a Utopia. Even here on ATS I've seen posts about how everything would be great again if they just allowed prayer in the schools like they had in the 1950s.

Eventually people tell this story about a place they all came from ... The garden of Eden where food was abundant and life was easy?

Why did we have to leave this wonderful place? Someone makes up a story about why we left.

This story gets passed down and embellished generation after generation until we have the "Garden of Eden" story that finally gets written down. It's part myth, part fable and part truth.

That's my opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
No.

If the Garden of Eden was real and Adam and Eve really did live there, wouldn't humans have lots of wacky genetic mutations? There's two people, Adam and Eve, they have kids, and who do their kids reproduce with? Each other, which would result in either television-esque mutations, or it would just be really really weird and awkward. Or both.

So how did all these creatures (including us) come from? Humans would have had to mate with each other again and again to get kids regardless.Either way you look at it humans would have been a bi-product of incest whether you believe in evolution or creationism.

If you look at animals most males would be kicked out of the herd when they are big enough. The females will stay to reproduce. So if the first human was male who did he mate with? If the first human was female she would have mated with her dad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join