It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about Libertarians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I dont know if this is the right forum so feel free to move it.

I have heard many misconceptions and outright lies about us from members and the media so I thought I would take you to the source............this is our platform

www.lp.org...

I hope this helps

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Libertarian = Pro Liberty (Freedom)

Totalitarian / Authoritarian = Anti Liberty (Freedom)

The Republican and Democrat parties are Authoritarian because they want to pass laws telling people what to do all the time. They are very pushy and forceful.

Libertarians want to reduce the amount of laws, thus allowing people to make their own decisions. Which is promoting freedom and self responsibility.

Oh I could go on for eternity, but you get the point.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Would you say that libertarians lean towards anarchy? Wouldn't be so bad if so many people didn't demand to be taken care of by the government.

I voted for Ron Paul, guess I'm I would be considered a libertarian.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

You would have to define "Lean"

We believe in the smallest amount of government possible while realising government to an extent is a necessary "evil"

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
my only beef with Libertarians is that they believe in the spiritual. Meditation and such. And that goes against my belief that people who belive in stuff like that can't be trusted to make a rational decision.

BUT, I don't think that undermines their politics, and so I'm onboard..until something more rational comes along
edit on 23-1-2011 by Electric Crown because: exagerrated my penis size

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

Where in our platform does it say to meditate..........we believe in freedom of religion.......and freedom NOT to have religion, it is up to the person

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Huh? Where'd you get that bit of info?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Ron Paul is technically a republican, the thing that makes him different than the rest is that he opposed and still opposes a lot of things that shouldn't have been while the rest of the republicans were for them and still are for them. The patriot act, Ron Paul considers unconstitutional then and still does. The Fed, let's just keep in mind how old Ron Paul really is here, he opposed it then and he still does. The thing that makes Ron Paul an old school republican is that he never reached across the aisle on bills and he will devote himself to canceling those ones he did vote against in the first place. Give or take some premises

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Where did you get this information about Libertarians? Religion is a personal issue, and Libertarian theory takes no interest in what a person believes. I am a Libertarian.....and I can guarantee you I don't practice tantric sex with Sting and Trudi or do my chants before my Cheerios every morning.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electric Crown
my only beef with Libertarians is that they believe in the spiritual. Meditation and such. And that goes against my belief that people who belive in stuff like that can't be trusted to make a rational decision.

Well, that certainly is a silly hasty generalization! I am a Libertarian and I have no idea what you're talking about.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This is exctly why I posted this thread was to combat stories like this. So many people have fallen for the lies and misconceptions that the media and PTB spread about us. We dont have a different constitution, we dont promote meditation, we dont want to starve the poor and we dont eat babies.........LOL.

I hope the readers of this will go to the link provided and read our platform............if they do we will get some more members because we have good sound answers to 90% of what is wrong with this country, something the so called 2 party system will not even admit much less address

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by Electric Crown

Where do people get this crap?

I read in another thread today some poster saying his beef with libertarians was that they're war mongers.

Are folks getting their info from the backs of cereal boxes or something? After being corrected do they learn or do they just keep on believing this crap?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I'm reminded of the Golden Girls episode in which Blanche thinks Danny Thomas is a lesbian.

I''ll assume someone has linked libertarianism with eastern mysticism.
Can't wait to find out who!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

No.. you are certainly NOT a libertarian. One of our chief principle beliefs is to keep God(s) out of Government, and to pass no law based on any deity to suppress anyone elses way of life.

And not all Libertarian are "spiritual" .. don't know where you got that idea from. Because we don't preach religion from a soap box? That tripe is for the ignorant, like say... Republicans.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Great thread. Needed to be shared.

If anyone has a blog, put this up on it. Get the word out. People want to be free. If there is a grass roots effort amongst the youth, the Libertarian platform should be for them. The same could be said for anyone who has ever been the victim of the government. Such experiences can make you really relish in true liberty.

ElectricCrown....i "meditate" and espouse all libertarian ideals (although will not "join the ranks" as i do not join groups or squeeze into boxes). If you only knew me, you would feel like the fool that you seem to be for making such a silly statement.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Great thread. Needed to be shared.

If anyone has a blog, put this up on it. Get the word out. People want to be free. If there is a grass roots effort amongst the youth, the Libertarian platform should be for them. The same could be said for anyone who has ever been the victim of the government. Such experiences can make you really relish in true liberty.

ElectricCrown....i "meditate" and espouse all libertarian ideals (although will not "join the ranks" as i do not join groups or squeeze into boxes). If you only knew me, you would feel like the fool that you seem to be for making such a silly statement.

I like your post but I don't necessarily believe that all people want to be free. On the contrary, I think the issue is that the masses are happiest without responsibility and accountability. I've been a registered Libertarian for over 15 years and I'm amazed how willfully ignorant people are about the politics of Libertarianism. It seems to me that people have found it easier to simply blame Congress or the President but continue to vote for the same class of idiots that use the Constitution as toilet paper.

The change has to start with us. When asked who I voted for in 2008, I speak of Barr/Root which always leads to a discussion.....this is your opening to explain Libertarianism. The schools, colleges, media, etc. are VERY effective at pushing the pro-Government propaganda so as Libertarians this is our biggest challenge. It's extremely difficult to change the R vs D mindset. As an example, my wife, who has listened to my discussions for more than 5 years, is still a registered Democrat (although she is starting to heal from the affliction). Her family, very far-left Progressives, had her convinced that more Government = more freedom when we all know the opposite is true.

I'm glad someone posted this thread - it's up to us to patiently and confidently explain Libertarianism to generally close-minded people. This is our burden but it's one that's very rewarding once you see them get it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I am going to post some of the parts of the platform here to try to stir up some interest

Libertarians on Personal freedom.........................

1.0 Personal Liberty

Individuals should be free to make choices for themselves and to accept responsibility for the consequences of the choices they make. No individual, group, or government may initiate force against any other individual, group, or government. Our support of an individual's right to make choices in life does not mean that we necessarily approve or disapprove of those choices.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Freredom of speech and Religion............

1.1 Expression and Communication

We support full freedom of expression and oppose government censorship, regulation or control of communications media and technology. We favor the freedom to engage in or abstain from any religious activities that do not violate the rights of others. We oppose government actions which either aid or attack any religion.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The right to privicy..........which the current government says isnt even a right............

1.2 Personal Privacy

Libertarians support the rights recognized by the Fourth Amendment to be secure in our persons,
homes, and property. Protection from unreasonable search and seizure should include records held
by third parties, such as email, medical, and library records. Only actions that infringe on the rights
of others can properly be termed crimes. We favor the repeal of all laws creating “crimes” without
victims, such as the use of drugs for medicinal or recreational purposes.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I thought ron paul was with the tea party. Are you guys with the tea party or what?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join