It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Yankton, South Dakota birds poisoned by USDA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Hundreds of Yankton, South Dakota birds poisoned by USDA

www.ktiv.com

YANKTON, S.D. (KTIV) -- It's happened in places like Louisiana, Arkansas and Kentucky. Hundreds of birds mysteriously found dead.

Folks in Yankton, South Dakota, thought they were being added to the list after hundreds of dead birds were found there on Monday. Turns out the unpleasant feathered discovery has a solid explanation. They were poisoned.

Some had thought 200 starlings found dead in Yankton's Riverside park had frozen to death. But they were actually poisoned on purpose, by the US Department of Agriculture.

Many of the European Starlings discovered by a passerby, were la
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
So they did this to protect a farmers animals, because the birds were pooping in his feed. Do you agree with the bird kill or not? Should the farmer have investigated other options? They say this is not common, do you believe them?

They used a bait laced with the poison DRC-1339. The USDA says the birds ate the bait then flew back to Yankton and died.

They say poisoning isn't a common practice.

"We're doing it to address, in this case, agricultural damage as well as the potential for human health and safety issues," says Carol Bannerman USDA Wildlife Services.

USDA officials say they regret they had to kill the birds. But say there's no toxic concern to people or animals.

In all, officials estimate nearly 2,000 birds ate the poison. However, since the bait has been removed they don't expect any more birds to die.

www.ktiv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The United States signed a Migratory Bird Treaty making it illegal for it to poison birds that migrate to other countries.

So how does the United States get away with poisoning migratory birds? We've got bullets for anyone who tries to enforce that Treaty.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

It is reasonable to assume that these were locals or they were as far north as they fly.. If you look at a starling migration map, they may have been at their furthest northern point..

Taking the season into consideration, they may also be "locals" that stay put year round due to a abundant food source..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

Who knows, personally i think em weapons are being tested, but the general public cannot be told or are even imaginative enough to understand what they can do.

The news and media can tell the public anything.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The Starling is considered an "invasive Species", an introduction from the mid-1800s. All of our Starlings here are a result of the release of about several dozen birds. This sort of thing is more common than one can imagine.

The Rock Dove is also an invasive species that they poison with no regard; yes, the common park pigeon is the Rock Dove.

Sadly most of the European Starlings are dropping in numbers whilst the American cousins are thriving, so a blessing is considered in the event Europe should lose this bird.

As for the most invasive of them all, Humans, I am sure they have a plan for that eradication too!

Farmers and the Agriculture Department need to get over this idiotic notion that they are "protecting" themselves or us from wanton destruction; I have yet to witness a single loss of a Farmer when he is being handed a check to purposely "fail" crops so that prices can be manipulated. I am sure Jimmy Carter can attest to that one; ole peanut brain.

Sorry, I am pissed off at yester-year's mentality over killing to protect our interests. Like anything is being damaged in the middle of January anyways, and in South Dakota? What is growing in South Dakota?
edit on 1/21/2011 by Greensage because: to remove my vulgar mouth!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
Screw them, like anything is being damaged in the middle of January anyways, and in South Dakota? What is growing in South Dakota?

Read the article. They were crapping all over a feedlot (a place where they feed livestock,) it has nothing to do with planted crops. Whoever owned the feedlot asked the USDA to come kill the birds, which is common around here.

And how many freaking threads about this do we need? I've seen at least five!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You sound like you are advocating this practice. Feedlot is what? The ground or are they feeders? One is unsanitary as it is just the ground or open troughs and the other is just a matter of construction which could be adjusted to prevent such things. Sorry I did not read the article...too bad you caught my particular language before I edited, but thanks for the thoughts!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
kill kill kill! blame it on the weather.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join