It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Phoenix Bird in Judaism and Christianity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

you said;
"Um.

Its a symbol.

The phoneix is a symbol of the soul.

It has to be broken, burnt up, in order to be born again. That is the nature of spiritual growth, which is why you find this phoneix on the front cover of the Zohar.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with an actual bird.

Its simply a SYMBOL, which would probably manifest in a dream symbolizing such an idea as demolition of the bird; or ones previous state of consciousness, to be born anew."

If the phoenix is a symbol of the soul then what did the egyptian story of the phoenix (soul) returning to the alter of the sun god (from the OP) symbolise/mean??....... The soul as a sacrifice to the god symbolised by the sun?...... Creepy
edit on 20-1-2011 by Rhebefree because: Forgat a word and the sentance didnt make sense without it

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
reply to post by Jordan River

I wasn't going to reply because you asked for info and then attacked those that tried to help. Consider that for a moment.

Christianity, Judaism, etc; all present analogous tales that relate to universal truths. This is why the bible is often pushed as the only book necessary. It details the 12 ancient sciences.

Anyways. Forget religion because people get wrapped around the axle. In alchemy the same bird is used to describe a process. In the lab, separation forces the purity or essence to rise to the neck of a flask and the base matter settles to the bottom. As this process repeats itself the essence purifies. The phoenix exemplifies this. Bird = Spirit

In Alchemy the major steps are:

Calcination
Dissolution
Separation (Phoenix)
Conjunction
Fermentation
Distillation
Coagulation

Birds in Alchemy

I refuse to have my thread on a debate about beliefs and faith. If you do believe in it, please say "in my opinion". If you state it as if it were a fact, than some other people may argue. consider that for a moment

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I found your Phoenix in a Roman Catholic Church ...It represents Lucifer ...it is at the 90:50 spot on the video ....peace
amazingdiscoveries.tv...

edit on 23-1-2011 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I remember coming across the Phoenix quite a bit during my readings. As I recall, a great many powerful people (kings and the like) offered hefty rewards for birds resembling the phoenix. Here's a few mentions I pulled from the net:

They have also another sacred bird called the phoenix which I myself have never seen, except in pictures. Indeed it is a great rarity, even in Egypt, only coming there (according to the accounts of the people of Heliopolis) once in five hundred years, when the old phoenix dies. Its size and appearance, if it is like the pictures, are as follow:- The plumage is partly red, partly golden, while the general make and size are almost exactly that of the eagle. They tell a story of what this bird does, which does not seem to me to be credible: that he comes all the way from Arabia, and brings the parent bird, all plastered over with myrrh, to the temple of the Sun, and there buries the body. In order to bring him, they say, he first forms a ball of myrrh as big as he finds that he can carry; then he hollows out the ball, and puts his parent inside, after which he covers over the opening with fresh myrrh, and the ball is then of exactly the same weight as at first; so he brings it to Egypt, plastered over as I have said, and deposits it in the temple of the Sun. Such is the story they tell of the doings of this bird
-Herodotus

During the consulship of Paulus Fabius and Lucius Vitellius, the bird called the phoenix, after a long succession of ages, appeared in Egypt and furnished the most learned men of that country and of Greece with abundant matter for the discussion of the marvelous phenomenon. It is my wish to make known all on which they agree with several things, questionable enough indeed, but not too absurd to be noticed. That it is a creature sacred to the sun, differing from all other birds in its beak and in the tints of its plumage, is held unanimously by those who have described its nature. As to the number of years it lives, there are various accounts. The general tradition says five hundred years. Some maintain that it is seen at intervals of fourteen hundred and sixty-one years, and that the former birds flew into the city called Heliopolis successively in the reigns of Sesostris, Amasis, and Ptolemy, the third king of the Macedonian dynasty, with a multitude of companion birds marvelling at the novelty of the appearance. But all antiquity is of course obscure. From Ptolemy to Tiberius was a period of less than five hundred years

-Tacitus

Edit: Oh, and Claudian's poem:

THE PHOENIX
He knows his time is out! and doth provide
New principles of life; herbs he brings dried
From the hot hills, and with rich spices frames
A Pile shall burn, and Hatch him with his flames.
On this the weakling sits; salutes the Sun
With pleasant noise, and prays and begs for some
Of his own fire, that quickly may restore
The youth and vigor, which he had before.
Whom soon as Phoebus * spies, stopping his rays
He makes a stand, and thus allays his pains......
He shakes his locks, and from his golden head,
Shoots on bright beam, which smites with vital fire
The willing bird; to burn is his desire.
That he may live again; he's proud in death,
And goes in haste to gain a better breath.
The spice heap fired with celestial rays
Doth burn the aged Phoenix, when straight stays
The Chariot of the amazed Moon; the pole
Resists the wheeling, swift Orbs, and the whole
Fabric of Nature at a stand remains.
Till the old bird anew, young begins again.

edit on 23-1-2011 by Boreas because: added stuff

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Thank you so much for further information. I am of need of anything. Believe me, things are about to change

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

the bible we now know was completed in 1611 just search the king james bible. the christians corrupted it just like all religions to suit their current needs all holy books contain myths with probably and ounce of honesty left. a great weapon when you mention your enemies in it, so no im afraid differing from the original "maybe" its just stories
reply to post by nonetruegod

William Tyndale completed the bible into english before his death in 1536, some 75 years before the King James version. And you can still find it on the Web. He burned at the stake for his version. Maybe you should try reading it and spot the differences that were worth dying for (apart from being English instead of Latin).

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Text"Hello out there! I was reading the post about the phoenix. Six years ago a lady was sick on her bed . she told me one night while she was resting a beautiful yellow color came into her bedroom. This lady is born again with the Holy ghost for 28 years.
she has five grown children. she carried a child for 18 months she said. He is now 18, this young man is very smart he knows every star in the universe. He said he was born smart. "OK! This lady is 55 years old she told me seven years ago that's when she saw lights come in her room , an angle spoke and said her husband and her would have a baby when she gets 55. she was 49 then. OK in 2009 DEC something strange happened . she said she saw a large bird with a big head and a bronze color over her body while she was in bed. It drooped blue liquid on her then the bird turned into ash. this was Dec 22 2009.she has not had a cycle for seven years . She and her husband are having babies ! I believe her because she has a sound mind ,she said while praying the holy spirit spoke to her heart and said a phoenix !

edit on 18-12-2011 by authorMap56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucius Driftwood

the bible we now know was completed in 1611 just search the king james bible. the christians corrupted it just like all religions to suit their current needs all holy books contain myths with probably and ounce of honesty left. a great weapon when you mention your enemies in it, so no im afraid differing from the original "maybe" its just stories
reply to post by nonetruegod

William Tyndale completed the bible into english before his death in 1536, some 75 years before the King James version. And you can still find it on the Web. He burned at the stake for his version. Maybe you should try reading it and spot the differences that were worth dying for (apart from being English instead of Latin).

There was nothing in the text that had him executed,
it was because he had made the bible avaialble to the common people.
Ironic that now it is available to everyone it's credibility is questioned.
edit on 22/12/11 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join