It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone has Bulged as Magma Pocket Swells-places saw the ground rise 10 inches!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

While the caldera is monitored daily, updates are not posted when nothing is going on.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

If you get a chance, you will have to check out another thread going on now-the Anti I call it.

I think you will make some great points there.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Yellowstone rises and falls all the time, it even mentions that in your own link. The 10inch in places rise you speak of has been over time from 2004. Between 2007 and 2010 the rate of the rising has slowed down dramatically. All again from the link. Basically this news is 3+ years old.

Also check out the yellowstone thread here there is actually good info in that..
Your link seems to debunk your OP more than anything else, you may as well of just stated 'Yellowstone hasn't blown for a long time, it's overdue and it will be dec 2012'

Fortunately, the surge doesn't seem to herald an imminent catastrophe, Smith said.

"At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption," said Smith, who co-authored a paper on the surge published in the December 3, 2010, edition of Geophysical Research Letters.
"But once we saw [the magma] was at a depth of ten kilometers, we weren't so concerned. If it had been at depths of two or three kilometers [one or two miles], we'd have been a lot more concerned."

But there are also many examples, including the Yellowstone supervolcano, where it appears the ground has risen and fallen for thousands of years without an eruption.

When the rate of increase slows, the theory goes, the magma likely moves off horizontally to solidify and cool, allowing the surface to settle back down.
Based on geologic evidence, Yellowstone has probably seen a continuous cycle of inflation and deflation over the past 15,000 years, and the cycle will likely continue, Smith said.

It has nothing to do with the recent, normal behaviour of volcanoes. No connection at all.
Don't be so dramatic.
edit on 19-1-2011 by pazcat because: to rant more

if i live close to yellowstone I certainly would be putting pressure on this Mr Smith..

since he admitted that

"At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption,"

then he went phewwwwww

Fortunately, the surge doesn't seem to herald an imminent catastrophe, Smith said.

so basically if i lived near...i would be concerned

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d308300e8dca.jpg[/atsimg]

sry mr smith...but i think you and your staff have been playing too much solitaire lately

and I also think that when half of the US is at stake...please refer less to MAYBE, SEEMS

dont know its your choice american people..but mr smith was interviewed the 3rd dec..you only know this now..little bit of lag right here??
edit on 22-1-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Funny thing is when they had the first swarm at Yellowstone in the 20th century with a 7.0 quake they worried. When another one happend in 2008 with over 1000 quakes 500 of them in one week they panicked. Exactly one year after, 1800 quakes in a swarm lasting january to february, they said oh don't worry it's normal, when they have only seen it do swarms three times.After that I think the Obama administration issued a gag order on usgs. Since then it has been nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by shikori
After that I think the Obama administration issued a gag order on usgs. Since then it has been nothing to worry about.

Most American people don't realize that USGS as a Gov't agency CLASSIFIES material, Shikori.

You may be right.

edit on 22-1-2011 by Chakotay because: for the Halibut...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
well it is sad that the other thread was closed, it was a good thread but if we say with it here it should be just as good if not better and there,IMO there should be only one thread for the caldera at Yellowstone

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
well it is sad that the other thread was closed, it was a good thread but if we say with it here it should be just as good if not better and there,IMO there should be only one thread for the caldera at Yellowstone
I am surprised this thread has gone on this long,.
If Yellowstone does do anything I am sure it will even surprise the REAL geologists,. as It is showing no signs of activity,.
Oh and there IS a thread dedicated to this it is called." What is going on in Yellowstone". Do a search

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The other bulge & eruption thread that was closed is still at the top of ATS' home page....

That's leading to another bulge and eruption I'm sure.

ATS
edit on 22-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Quick Question: In the event that it erupts, given that it's in Wyoming, would that by chance take out Dick Cheney's ranch? Just curious.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

hey thanks that was what is was looking for had some links in it that i wanted , lets see if we can keep this one open and going.
Now i did find some links that have real time data but it is just numbers time depth and some i have no clue too but the links are in the closed threads.
to day there was a slight up lift and north movement , 2-3 mm in the west end of the lake, i am waiting for a second conformation on that to see if i read the data right.
There were earth quakes in the region as well , the other news if no one has noticed is the USGS has lowered it's recoding and monitoring of eq's from 2.+ down to 1.5 in that area.
If have read the data incorrectly i will say so, they do take there time getting back to ya.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

edit on 22-1-2011 by here4awhile because: double post

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yellowstone is one of the most active volcanic sites in the world...this kind of thing is actually common and doesn't mean it's going to blow anytime soon...it's in my opinion (I live like 2-3 hours away from yellowstone) that if it were going to blow...we would feel tremors and earthquakes for many miles around yellowstone itself because of the epic scale and size of this thing...if it ever happened or was going to happen...I'd be one of the first to know besides those geologists on site

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

hey thanks that was what is was looking for had some links in it that i wanted , lets see if we can keep this one open and going.
Now i did find some links that have real time data but it is just numbers time depth and some i have no clue too but the links are in the closed threads.
to day there was a slight up lift and north movement , 2-3 mm in the west end of the lake, i am waiting for a second conformation on that to see if i read the data right.
There were earth quakes in the region as well , the other news if no one has noticed is the USGS has lowered it's recoding and monitoring of eq's from 2.+ down to 1.5 in that area.
If have read the data incorrectly i will say so, they do take there time getting back to ya.

Well from the recent activity in Yellowstone shown on the earthquake site probably means there is a swarm going on now, also if that uplift happend in just one day some major movement of magma is definitely happening. Also if there is a large swarm occurring now it would be strange cause it would be the fifth one since the last three that happend from the begging of 08 to 010, the other two happening way back. Note the last three mega swarms happend almost a year apart.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is possibly the funniest post I've ever seen on here :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
4 quakes hit Nevada

Link to News www.ktnv.com...

"Four earthquakes have struck in about two hours time in a remote area of western Nevada.

The U.S. Geological Survey says a 3.8-magnitude temblor struck around 9:26 a.m. Saturday about 14 miles east of the Mineral County city of Hawthorne and 167 miles east of Sacramento, Calif. It was followed three minutes later by a 4.3-magnitude quake about eight miles southeast of Hawthorne."

I've lived in Nevada for 3 years. They say earthquakes are common here but not as common as 4 in just a couple hours.

The earth is changing, we're up for some challenges, hope they have FEMA fully staffed and prepared to respond to something quickly. I don't want to hear another "way to go Brownie" speech from our leaders.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
the rising and settling of yellowstone caldera is normal what would spark concern though would be increased "activity" of the natural features linked to the heat of the magma mass die offs around the area SO2 release increase things of that nature the area has risen and fallen several times without eruption.

peace and chicken grease

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by shikori

if you are referring to the 2-3mm rise, that is 2mm or 3mm millimeters, about the thickness of a peace of paper i was trying to say how sensitive the instruments are as far as measurements.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xalaran

you have got it my friend, the other would be increasing p wave activity, a large rise say 1foot or more then you know the caldera is about to do something, an other thing to watch for is the rise of the lava bubble , it is now at 10 miles deep as of the 20th of this month, if i read the info right see it here www.earthscope.org...

edit on 22-1-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2011 by bekod because: got link to work

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

reply to post by shikori

if you are referring to the 2-3mm rise, that is 2mm or 3mm millimeters, about the thickness of a peace of paper i was trying to say how sensitive the instruments are as far as measurements.

I think we can safely assume you are not a machinist
(thats not meant to be mean
)

Just wanted to say that Yellowstone is likely one of the most awe-inspiring places i have ever been. It is jaw-droppingly beautiful, massive, and intimidating. No pictures can do it justice, its just a really cool place. One that i suggest everyone visit, if at all possible.

I think the best thing for any of us to do, whether the "world is going to end" or not, is to not have all this fear. These bodies will, in fact, die (yes, you too, in the back there). Though, i guess technically, i cant provide proof for that, just historical evidence

edit on 22-1-2011 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It's risen 10 inches since 2004. Nothing to worry about.

Makes it seem like an eruption is imminent when the title is presented the way it is. The normal progression is 1.6 inches per year, so it really is nothing to worry about. More 2012 hype.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join