It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama-Hu News Conference: Live Worldwide Coverage But Not By The Chinese Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I subscribe to Sky UK satellite service here in Germany and needless to say, there is a broad range of news channels from all over the world available to see. So, you would figure that a major press conference between the leaders of the US and China would gain major live coverage. For the most part, that has been true. One very glaring exception however has been CCTV´s english language satellite channel, which is it´s flagship international mouthpiece to the world and Phoenix, it´s chinese language based news and entertainment channel. It is obvious, and really no surprise, that under no circumstances will this press conference be broadcasted over communist media channels until it has been properly filtered and screened to remove any embarrising or tough questions that President Hu may be subjected too. The foreign press is just too risky. I´m sure the internet censors will be working overtime for the next few days.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
A Market based Currency in a Market that China Completely Dominates? ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

edit on 1/22/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: removed expletive - Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
"Live" coverage being shown in China has footage of the human rights protesters blacked out... But doesn't it seem a little hypocritical of the protesters to focus on the foreign bogeyman rather than to question the multiple human rights abuses perpetrated by the US (Guantanamo, warrantless searches/wiretapping, imprisonment without trial, "extraordinary rendition", blatant attempts to censor dissenting voices on the net, etc. etc. etc.)??

Don't throw stones in a glass house.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pforkp
"Live" coverage being shown in China has footage of the human rights protesters blacked out... But doesn't it seem a little hypocritical of the protesters to focus on the foreign bogeyman rather than to question the multiple human rights abuses perpetrated by the US (Guantanamo, warrantless searches/wiretapping, imprisonment without trial, "extraordinary rendition", blatant attempts to censor dissenting voices on the net, etc. etc. etc.)??

Your off topic but any reporter, including a chinese one, could have asked a human rights question towards President Obama regarding alleged violations, and the live media forum would have captured his answer for all to see and hear. No chance of that happening on chinese media.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fockewulf190

Originally posted by pforkp

Your off topic but any reporter, including a chinese one, could have asked a human rights question towards President Obama regarding alleged violations, and the live media forum would have captured his answer for all to see and hear. No chance of that happening on chinese media.

What concerned me more is that noone did ask this sort of thing torwards Obama. Add in that he seemed pretty nervous,i think this wasnt even a "real" press conference...things were said that were the total opposite of what the US. Govt. has done lately and is planing on doing in the near Future.

This looked more like some sort of Propaganda thing for the American People...maybe i´m the only one seeing it like that.
edit on 19-1-2011 by Shenon because: spelling...tired of all the BS

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

its funny you say that, I have never really seen Obama stumble after a Question, as if he was not ready to answer the questions or his mind was else were, then the Tech problem too with the translater???

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

And why wouldn't the chinese media cover this event? Does china wish to hide its relations with the USA from its people?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by punctual
reply to post by fockewulf190

And why wouldn't the chinese media cover this event? Does china wish to hide its relations with the USA from its people?

The question is, why won´t they cover it live. Predictably enough, after the press conference was over about an hour or so later, CCTV was then showing the press conference in it´s edited form. Live for them means lack of control, and the Communists don´t relenquish any control . Ever.

top topics

join