It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Is FoxNewsChannel Fair and Balanced? I don't think so.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
FOX News is being accuse of having a Republican bias, or at least an upcoming documentary says so. Imagine that.

www.drudgereport.com
**Exclusive**

A new documentary claiming to show Republican bias at FOX NEWS will debut in New York City on Monday. But FOX NEWS executives are preparing to hit back hard -- if rivals self-servingly hype the film!

The DRUDGE REPORT has learned that FOX NEWS executives are lining up a parade of employees who formerly worked at CNN & MSNBC and have been downloading information on how editorial decisions are made at these networks, including the agenda for how stories are supposed to be covered.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The original news flash came from Drudge, and additional links are provided for the complete story. Internal memos tell journalists how to bias the news, thus destroying FOX's motto of being Fair and Balanced. But it is interesting how FOX is fighting back.

Related News Links:
www.prnewswire.com

[edit on 11-7-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Not that I watch Fox, but your source says that in retaliation Fox will reveal questionable editorial practices of CNN and MSNBC.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Oh no, here we go. The battle of egos in media begins. What a frickin joke! These people should just have a boxing match if they want to start this mess.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
One only has to remember CNN taking payola and editorial direction from Saddam to know that bias exists on both sides of the coin, the difference being that Fox never will be accused of letting a dictator tell it what to report - unless of course you consider Murdoch a dictator.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The important part, here, is that this movie makes use of unaired footage, recieved through raw satellite feed, to make its case. This means that FOXNews is being judged for material that never aired...and that amounts to small talk with people like Bush. If footage that was never intended for airing can be used to discredit FOXnews, then every conversation held in private at the 60 minutes offices can be used againt CBS.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
There is no such thing as fair and balanced news IMO.

The media is owned by you-know-who, so they are basically the gatekeepers of what we, the great unwashed are allowed to see. They will put the slant on whatever "news" they wish us to see, in anyway they can so long as the end result is the general public believing what they want us to believe.

This is why I don't watch the news. I have to come to ATS to hope for a little truth.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If you really want to see the bias in the media, and find out that Fox is probably the fairest of them all, check out the article at this thread I started the other day.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
If you really want to see the bias in the media, and find out that Fox is probably the fairest of them all, check out the article at this thread I started the other day.

This debate over who is ever so slightly less far right and mindlessly patriotic is a joke. If it isn't obvious already that CNN and the drum beating alphabets aren't just as much the corporate and Pentagon shills as FOX, then I suggest everyone see the documentary called CONTROL ROOM for what REAL FAIR AND BALANCED JOURNALISM LOOKS LIKE.

That's right. Al-Jazeera is fairer than any of them.

"Control Room should be required viewing for anyone within reach of a TV signal."
-- Marjorie Baumgarten, AUSTIN CHRONICLE

"An eye-opening documentary."
-- Matt Brunson, CREATIVE LOAFING

"A documentary as subtle, insightful and evenhanded as Fahrenheit 9/11 is obvious and one-sided."
-- Robert W. Butler, KANSAS CITY STAR

"hits you in the head like a right hook"
-- Pete Croatto, FILMCRITIC.COM

"Unlike most American media outlets, al-Jazeera happens to be one news service that the Pentagon hasn't been able to "manage.""
-- Thomas Delapa, BOULDER WEEKLY

[edit on 11-7-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
The important part, here, is that this movie makes use of unaired footage, recieved through raw satellite feed, to make its case.

Remember that things said when people think the mic. is off can be revelaing. Remember Reagan with the "we begin bombing" on an open mic.? Alot of editing goes on and the raw feed is really RAW. Im not sure people will dwell on it all that much. Fox news has amuch more conservative leaning. I really believe its about marketshare. Think about it. Most outlets are labled by the right wing as "ultra liberal" FOX news may just be chosing this tactic for ratings.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Your actually supprised!!! This is the same news network that said the Bush won when he didn't and everyone went along with what they said. Talk about power over the masses. I'm glad people are starting to wake up and smell the bull#.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Let's not forget the network's little tricks of delaying the reporting of Bush victories, to make it appear that Gore was sweeping the night:

(CBS) In yet another twist in the tumultuous 2000 election, House Republicans Thursday suggested television networks may have skewed their reporting of last week's election results to favor Democrat Al Gore.

CBS News Chief Washington Correspondent Bob Schieffer reports the Republican congressmen contend networks may have delayed calling victories in states where Republican George W. Bush was narrowly ahead to make it appear that Gore was sweeping the night.

That may have convinced many Bush supporters not to vote, the Republicans allege.

link

There was also the case of CBS/CNN, then other networks, calling Florida for Gore one hour before the polls closed, a fact that Michael Moore tried to twist in his mockumentary.
Networks try to steal election for Goore

:shk:

[edit on 11-7-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Would Cheney lie?

"It's easy to complain about the press -- I've been doing it for a good part of my career," Cheney said. "It's part of what goes with a free society. What I do is try to focus upon those elements of the press that I think do an effective job and try to be accurate in their portrayal of events. For example, I end up spending a lot of time watching Fox News, because they're more accurate in my experience, in those events that I'm personally involved in, than many of the other outlets."

Washington Times

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Would Cheney lie? As much as curme, Clinton, Gore, Billary, McAuliffe, Ben-Veniste or Jamie Gorelick would lie. What is the point of your post? Because Cheney happens to like Fox's reporting doesn't mean Fox doesn't do a good job. Nor does it mean that Cheney doesn't appear on other networks that are less favorable to him. Kerry refuses to appear on Fox. Billary Clinton is terrified of Fox and refuses to appear.

What is the point of your post?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Having known a person who worked for FoxNews I can tell you that their "editorial process" is probably the best example of biased, partisan journalism i've ever seen. The process will shock and appall you if it features heavily in this film.

Incase it doesn't feature I'll just outline some steps for you.

1. FoxNews President & Head of News Roger Ailes sets for the days agenda in a memo, this memo is the word of God himself (Roger) and MUST be followed. He alone dictates what is in the memo.

2. The memo will be comprised of political points and social points that Roger thinks the network should be hammering the public with on this day. Anchors are pushed to pursue the main stories and ask grilling questions to politicians for a "shock jock" appeal. This aggressiveness is all carefully choreographed.

3. Failure to comply with the memo will be seen as insubordination and the offenders may even be fired.

So, whenever you watch FoxNews and they're relentlessly hammering a story at you... its because Roger said so. And Roger is acting in Bush's best interests.

Oh, and Congrats to Larry King, CNN is now on top in the ratings war as King's evening talk show has been gathering more viewers than O'Reilly

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Fox is a joke. Actually, most news outlets in the USA are jokes. How can anyone stand to watch or read news with so many ads? Who is paying for your news? It's not your news at all... it's the news of the sponsors. How can people stand it? You'd have to have ADD to be able to watch the networks, and even cable news has quite a lot of ads. Sorry if this sounds 'unpatriotic', but give me the BBC or a good book anyday.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Fox is a joke. Actually, most news outlets in the USA are jokes. -koji K.

Glad to find one hold the same opinion of Fox, obviously also include Censored News Network?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Fox is a joke. Actually, most news outlets in the USA are jokes. How can anyone stand to watch or read news with so many ads? Who is paying for your news? It's not your news at all... it's the news of the sponsors.

Ding, ding, ding. You win the prize.

No purple pill pushing network is EVER going to report on the realities of the healthcare crisis in America.

Long live NPR!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Nerdling

If what you say is true, and it sounds reasonable to me, that would explain why the evening Fox shows all broadcast the same topics over and over again. For example, the Laci Peterson case - it is presented like it is the most important domestic crime issue in the US in the last 50 years. Now it is tragic, but it doesn't affect me one bit and I am so sick of hearing from the teams of analysts predicting the next move by the attorneys. I'd be happy to have it go away until the verdict comes in, then ten seconds on the verdict, then put it to rest.

Who in the world told Fox News that we are interested in that case?

new topics

top topics

join