It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake hits southwestern Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake hits southwestern Pakistan

news.blogs.cnn.com

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.4 has struck Pakistan, the U.S. Geological Survey reported Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
news.blogs.cnn.com...

This is only breaking, I have no other information right now.

Will update as I can.

This is pretty big for a populated area!

Here is another link, showing the scale
www.emsc-csem.org...

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

It's on sky news right now, they are stating it was also felt in India

Sky news say... it is measured at 52 miles deep.
It has been felt in various Cities, with Dalabandin being the nearest community area
Pakistan often get earthquakes, and take a look at the october 2005 - 7.6 earthquake in pakistan killed 80,000 people.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Edited to add more info to above post.
The news channels don't know much as of yet either.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
all im getting so far is "Earthquake was felt in several provinces of country" 7.4 though .... it cant be good

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Does anyone know how long the quake lasted? I wish the USGS would post the duration along with the magnitude.. Perhaps they are but I'm not seeing it? Why don't they do that? If this 7.4 quake lasted a while I bet a lot of people are worked... Think they just had those floods not to long ago too..

The more massive earthquakes I see 7.0 and up the more I become a believer in this whole pole shift idea.

-Fuse-

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm still finding no links to add, and the News channels don't know much yet, although they just said now....

President believes there will be extensive damage, and they are naming it as a Major earthquake.
It was 1.30 am there, when it happened.

The magnitude has now been re-evaluated to a 7.2.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: Adding info.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Live Pakistani News Feed (Not English) 4 Channels, ETA: which seem to be going in and out due to the quake, or current site traffic i am going to guess. I had it for a few seconds, was a street reporter giving commentary.
edit on 1/18/2011 by UberL33t because: added connection info

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It is really quite amazing and scary but 7.0's and up have almost become as normal as minor earthquakes.

At this point, we already have had two every other week this year. If this average keeps up throughout the remaining 11 months of the year, we will have 1 (7.0/+ Earthquake) for every calendar week of 2011. Basically that would mean that we would have 52 regions on the planet that got struck with the same or more force then Haiti did last year.

I really hope we start to see a real ebb and flow over the next few weeks/months or this could be a really disturbing year...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
There was already a thread started about 15 min before yours, just an FYI. Quite a bit of info there:

Pakiston quake thread

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This site is normally updated with earthquakes, volcanoes etc The epicentre is right next to a main highway

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Good catch OP!
S&F

With a depth of 6 miles, if this was anywhere near a populated area, it will be total devastation.

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone in advance that might need it.

And my thanks to someone who posted the live feeds!

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It measured at 50 miles underground...

This is not going to be pretty

My thoughts are with them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

That's a whopper.

I noticed pakistan has plenty of earthquakes so I did a quick search to find out why and located this:

Two-third of Pakistan lies on fault lines

Well no wonder they have a lot of earthquakes, most of the country is on fault lines!

So I can only hope that they will do like Japan does (Japan also has many fault lines and earthquakes) and build earthquake resistant structures. Even a 7.4 is a finite event and it's possible to build buildings to withstand it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

AD: A magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck various parts of the country, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Tuesday.

Fears of major damage in the remote area eased when the US agency revised an initial estimate that the quake was very shallow and said it probably centred at a depth of 52 miles (83 km), 55 km (34 miles) west of Dalbandin, a town of about 15,000 people.

It had earlier said the quake, at 1:23 a.m. local time on Wednesday (2023 GMT on Tuesday), had been at only about 6 miles (10 km) depth and of a magnitude of 7.4.

First reports from the region, close to the troubled frontier with Afghanistan, suggested injuries may have been limited, not least given the sparseness of the population.

Residents in major cities as far apart as the Indian capital New Delhi and the Gulf emirate of Dubai said they felt tremors, as did people in Pakistan's major port of Karachi, although there were no early reports there of damage or injuries.

The Pacific Tsunami Center said the onshore quake had not triggered a tsunami in the Indian Ocean.

A major quake of this magnitude, if at a shallow depth and close to population centres, is capable of causing widespread and heavy damage and could pose fresh strains on a country still reeling from devastating floods last year which left more than 10 million people homeless.

On Oct. 8, 2005, a 7.6 magnitude quake 95 km (60 miles) northeast of the Pakistani capital Islamabad killed over 70,000 people.

www.geo.tv...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks westcoast! I'll check it out, I assumed there were no threads on it because it was just breaking.... you would think it would be posted in the breaking news forum.
I'll take a look at the other thread, thanks!
Hopefully a mod can delete this one?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Seems to be the first aftershock? 4.8 www.emsc-csem.org...

And a smaller quake in Chile www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There whole country is built on a fault, hopefully they have there plutonium strapped down tight!

join