It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sparks Fly Over Flyover at MLK March

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there's ever been a thread made on this particular topic. But this is an even that took place on MLK day in 2006. People attending a MLK march were upset over a group of military-jets flying over (in honor of MLK as an American hero) where the march was taking place as the people who were upset by it felt that Martin Luther King would've disapproved of it because if he was alive he wouldn't have approved of the war in Iraq or something to that effect. At one point; Reverend Jesse Jackson came out and said that Martin Luther King was not anti-military. He was anti-misappropriation. (And that he wouldn't have disapproved of the flyover).

Read about the article below:

www.commondreams.org...

EDIT: Here's an extra article I found...

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 1/17/11 by Marked One because: forgot to add something else

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

You know... People will complain about anything these days. It just goes to show how well the governments of the world have kept everyone so well conditioned. Think about it, what better way to control populations but to keep them fighting amongst themselves.

It also goes to show how separated we have become from our government and military. The interesting aspect of how to keep a people off balance is definitely showing in this instance.

I don't think I have to invest deeply into the racial aspects of how people quibble amongst each other rather than focus on the corrupt evils of our government. How can anything change if people can't focus?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
What I find interesting is Rev. Jesse Jackson came out and said what he said in light of the dispute.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I'd say MLK would have prefered a flyover of a 1000 White Doves, a symbol of peace.
Not half a dozen F18's whatever, a symbol of war...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Though what better way to honor the memory of Martin Luther King by turning it into a fight over the war in Iraq and if King would've been against the war so therefore he wouldn't appreciate jets flying over a march in his honor, etc, etc.

(BTW: Those weren't even fighter planes. They were trainer-jets.)

People want peace to begin with yet they can't even be an example of it but instead they begin fighting over something as stupid as this.

Soldiers are instruments of war and shouldn't have any place in participating in a march for peace in honor of Martin Luther King?

Yet it was the same instruments of war that were used to ensure Americans like Martin Luther King have the right to come forward and speak out?

The same instruments of war that were used by George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, etc in America's founding.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Your right, they should have had the "Black and White Minstrels" do a number also.

edit on 18-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
I'm not sure if there's ever been a thread made on this particular topic. But this is an even that took place on MLK day in 2006. People attending a MLK march were upset over a group of military-jets flying over (in honor of MLK as an American hero) where the march was taking place as the people who were upset by it felt that Martin Luther King would've disapproved of it because if he was alive he wouldn't have approved of the war in Iraq or something to that effect. At one point; Reverend Jesse Jackson came out and said that Martin Luther King was not anti-military. He was anti-misappropriation. (And that he wouldn't have disapproved of the flyover).

Didn't this happen 5 years ago?

What are we supposed to do criticize these unnamed people for having an opinion?

I don't get the relevance of this OP.

top topics

join