It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UFO crash of Greece

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The events of Atalanta in 1990 is one of the most important and mysterious appearances of unknown flying objects in Greece and i wanted to share it with you,in case you haven't heard about it.

On Sunday, September 2, 1990 a series of strange events occurred in Greece . Atalanta is the name of a city located in central Greece, the prefecture of Fthiotida. Initial reports speak of not one, but 12 to 17 flying objects, which first appeared on the mountain Penteli in Athens. The UFO flew south to the Peloponnese and changed course again in central Greece. In the second pass over central Greece, at about 9:30 pm, one of the UFO, seemed to have glitches and a few minutes later the object crashed outside the small village of Great Platanos, a few kilometers from Atalanta. Many local residents reported the strange event to local authorities but the inaccessibility of the area did not allow access at the crash site.

According to a testimony from a family very close to the area, at 21:30 they saw in the sky thirteen bright objects moving at high speed, which passed over them and left. After 15 minutes, they heard three consecutive explosions in the sky and a red object appeared much larger than the previous ones, which seemed to have taken fire. While looking at, it fell to the ground in a nearby hill, about a mile away.

The testimony continues:

"After a while they came, flying at high speed, but smaller and surrounded the big one. Landed in a circle around the original, highly illuminating the area. It seemed, according to witnesses, have formed a protective wall, which prevent the fire spread to the surrounding reeds, and then trees. From that appeared in the morning, it seems that something had been thrown, because the place was wet and reeds were sticky. We stand and watched. My husband feared that they will come to us . He grabbed his double-barreled and moved towards them to see them better. In front of the burning object were some shadows, but could not tell whether they were people or anything else.They were doing something in the bright circle they had formed around the large object.They remained there from about 10:00 p.m. on Sunday by three in the morning Monday. By the morning there was only a little smoke, and the territory where the landing took place and the surrounding undergrowth had been burnt .. "

Witnesses who went to the landing area, found some mechanical parts and a spongy material. Near there was a pine tree, the trunk was burnt. When the witness touched the pine, in his hand small blisters appeared, like it was burned. In the area of landing there were also circular holes in the ground, with knoll soil around the opening of each hole. There, the witness identified and turned over to authorities a strange object: a circular piece with two diametrically opposite antennas etched on it a shape reminiscent of lightning.

On October 19, 1990 the Centre for Research and Technology of the Greek Air Force, issued a statement on the matter to Atalanta. According to this statement, found on the premises:

* Pieces of a connector with 11 cm diameter, made of copper with Arabic numerals in the center
* A series of a multipin cable made of copper, connected with the above plug.
* The insulator of these cables was a silky fabric
* A burnt rubber circular cap
* A ring of steel
* Three bars of steel 10 cm each
* Two controllers with the Greek letter Φ(F) on the basis.

The report confirms that the debris found was earth technology, since there were alphabetical and numerical information. It was old technology, based on the materials used. They are probably pieces of an old satellite. This conclusion was based on measurements of the wiring and construction. The satellite must be from Europe or the former Soviet Union. Regarding the letter F(Φ), it was reported that it was propably from the Soviet Union since that country uses thsame letter in the Cyrillic alphabet and also has the technology for such a device.

After a little stay in the center of research and technology in the Greek airforce, debris transferred to NASA.

Another official explanation was meteorites.

So urce in Greek

Atalanta area

Ground holes

Parts of the object

The crash site

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 17/1/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Very interesting.. I was not familiar with that report.. Thank you for sharing it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
how come there is pictures of the crash site and debris, but no actual photographic evidence of the crafts in the air? when all these people saw these "crafts" why didnt they take pictures or video footage??....

at this point and with the evidence presented sounds like it could have been a comet that broke up in the atmosphere that perhaps crashed into a sattelite....when comets come into our atmosphere the make booming noises or on impact, which would explain the burnt trees etc as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
how come there is pictures of the crash site and debris, but no actual photographic evidence of the crafts in the air? when all these people saw these "crafts" why didnt they take pictures or video footage??....

Er, it wouldn't be because these people did not have cameras on them at the time they saw the craft, would it? I mean, it seems in your world everyone is supposed to carry cameras around with them at all times.

The photos of the crash site and debris were taken long after the event, presumably by people who did have cameras.

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
at this point and with the evidence presented sounds like it could have been a comet that broke up in the atmosphere that perhaps crashed into a sattelite....when comets come into our atmosphere the make booming noises or on impact, which would explain the burnt trees etc as well.

Comets? I think not. You mean bolides.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
perhaps space junk - old derelict satellites, pieces of expended launch systems, etc. - re-entering the atmosphere and landing in occupied areas?

cool post...star and flag!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I find this fascinating for a couple of reasons: 1. I lived in Greece during this time and had a close encounter myself on the island of Paros Aug. 7th(ish) around 11:30pm - 12:30am. I do not discuss this event readily, but I can say contacting Linda Moulten Howe, Mufon and others has met with absolutely zero response, help, or direction in uncovering further understanding in regards the incredible event I experienced.
2. There was also another exceptional event in the area during the same time period in the Agean by a group of Turkish sailors in regards a very famous USO experience: ufos.about.com...

I am now 43 years old, and over the past 20 years the events of that night have driven me to research deeply anything I can find to get to the bottom of what transpired. The one time regression therapy was attempted, my practitioner fell asleep during the process, meditation has lead to many great deiscoveries, but alas nothing of note in regards concrete affirmation as to what occurred.

If I felt more comfortable with some of the contributors on this site, I might be compelled to relate the story of my experience, but off the cuff remarks like the above regarding why didn't so and so take pictures, or videos, really serve to keep some of us and our stories under wraps. Did you ever consider the year in question my friend? in 1990 there were very few video cameras available, most were the size of a toolbox and weighed as much...not many people had them. Cameras are not something most people carried with them in those days either as cell phones were hardly available, and none at all were available with a camera as taken for granted today.

Anyway thank you for this post, I find it as one more avenue for research in my own personal need for understanding a very real close encounter, that I had at the same time, in the same year in damned near the same place. ( I am an American who was living abroad at the time).

If anyone could direct me to anyone capable of helping me find some answers after all this time I'd tell my story.
It is such a pity so many people are so quick to judge, when they haven't had such an experience and have no idea how they would respond.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Here in Greece most people are not familiar with the concept of "evidence" during a UFO sighting.Taken the time that the event happened,there was even less knowledge here in Greece in the general public.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Frankly my interest in seeing if there are any other leads people may have from this area during August-September of 1990, is causing me to bump this threads activity. Thanks for the new information Phantom, I am not sure I can take mainstream explanations to quickly in regards this time period and place for obvious reasons...lol no matter how plausible.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

Τhe only report from the summer of 1990 was made from the residents of the island of Skiathos.The event took place around 22:30 and there are rumors that the airforce personell had seen them on the radar and aircrafts from the greek airforce were up and looking for them.

Anyway i would love to hear your story and help you anyway i can.If you don't want to go public yet,PM me with details and i 'll see what i can find.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowfoot
Frankly my interest in seeing if there are any other leads people may have from this area during August-September of 1990, is causing me to bump this threads activity. Thanks for the new information Phantom, I am not sure I can take mainstream explanations to quickly in regards this time period and place for obvious reasons...lol no matter how plausible.

The most credible UFO researcher i know and might propably help you is Makis Podotas.
Here is his personal site:
sites.google.com...

You can contact him and he will give you information and propably the help you need.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Phantom, I would like that a great deal. I have breakfast here in a minute and a few errands to run then I will type up a synopsis of the event for you to read. Thank you

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

At the end of the story.>

The report confirms that the debris found was land-based sources, since there were alphabetical and numerical information. It was old technology, based on the materials used. They are probably pieces of an old satellite. This conclusion was based on measurements of the wiring and construction. The satellite must be from Europe or the former Soviet Union. Regarding the letter F, it is reported that the Soviet Union since that country uses this Greek letter in the Cyrillic alphabet and also has the technology for such a device.

case solved
I don't think I am off base here correct me if I'm wrong

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
ok...what the heck, breakfast is finished and the wife is breastfeeding the baby...here goes I will try ATS out in hopes for some kind of resolution. Thank you Phantom for the forum to throw this out to the universe.

So back in those days my profession was as a model ( I know I know). As some may not know, August is holiday in Europe and Greece is by no means an exception. To a model this meant you had to pay for your hotel residence, or if you were less solvent, heading out for a cheap place to wait out holiday till work started back. two friends, a girl from Surrey, England, and a guy from Toronto Canada and I decided to head to Christi Akti, Paros as we had discovered a transient community of bamboo hut dwellers there from all over Europe. We left the first or so of August 1990 and rented some 125 yamahas to get around. Upon arriving in Golden Beach we found a tattered bamboo circle and decided to renovate it from the large bamboo field next to us. Surprisingly after a couple of days I recieved word through a mutual friend at a restaurant that a german photographer wanted me to come back to Athens for a really good catalog shoot. As broke as I was the idea of a couple hundred thousand drachs was more then enticing so I hopped a ferry and headed back Pireaus( the port town near Athens). Upon arrival my German friend met me at the dock and related the terrible news that in fact I had been dropped from the shoot and gave me 5000 drachma in consolation( about 35 US at the time).

I took the long ferry ride back arriving quite late as it was the last ferry. It was pitch black out as anyone who has been on the Agean at night knows and as I was broke I decided to try to walk the numerous kilometers from Pirokia( Paros port town) to Christi Akti, where we were camped. Here is a map of the island:www.thesaurus.gr...

Now as I walked out of town, I began to see the size and foolishness of my undertaking, there were more then a few wild dogpacks on Paros in those days, and they had chased me on my Yamaha a number of times before only now I had know dirt bike and couldnt of afforded to get one for this journey either way. I literally could not see my hand held in front of my face and used my feet to assure myself that I was on the road and not ambling near some very severe cliffs that drop hundreds of feet down. I believe the absolute fear I felt caused me to begin to pray, and I cried fairly hard as I did. Alot was said and alot was felt ( that is another story) and after I had gone for a very long period of time a strange whipping, circular, cool wind began to whip around me. I looked forward and my eyes were drawn up to what appeared as 4 balls of white light in a slightly diagonal line ascending from left to right. I remeber thinking initially that maybe they were dune buggies coming down the higher elevation unviewable before me, but there is no road at that level and besides the lights were far to high up. I looked back at the lights all the while the cool wind whipping all around me when I noticed they were getting closer...all of a sudden they shot forward in a flash, all I remember was seemingly being struck in the chest with the lights, light all around. The next moment I can recall, was taking a step at the same time experiencing sort of an explosion of light from my forhead I always surmised, and then utter pitch blackness of night.

Ok theres the short of it, there is more to relate to the rest of the journey passed Drios to Christi Akti, however it gets a little far fetched for most people and I can't say whether or not I experienced some kind of psychosis from the light experience. Whew...wow I haven't told that story in close to 15 years outside of the mother of my daughter and Linda Moulten Howes website( again with no response)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

Sure and the crash at Roswell was a weather balloon

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Wow thank you very much, I will see what your source has to say! Oh and please forgive my terrible writing, grammar and spelling LOL I was typing very fast for a two finger typer and I was definitely getting lost in memories.

edit on 17-1-2011 by Shadowfoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Sorry it took me that long to answer,but i had to dig all those files.Ok August 1990 there were 3 sightings reported.Unfortunatelly in the first 2 there are no exact dates.
The first reported in an area called Kamena Vourla,a coastal town near Atalanta.The report talks about a big bright UFO.
The second report comes from the island of Skiathos.A huge UFO with many colored lights.
The 3rd one happened in 17/8/1990 and it talks about a landing of a spherical UFO in Kareas,Athens.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any reports from Paros.

I wish it was that simple.If i thought that the official report was true i wouldn't bother writing the story.The problem is that the witnesses are talking about humans or humanoids(that definetely didn't belong in the Greek airforce),they talk about other crafts "landing" to repair the crashed one.If it was a satellite of any country,that country would have asked for assistance from Greek authorities or at least let them know that they had a technical problem.Nothing like that happened.

Besides "yes, a satellite fell to the ground, made no crater in the area ,has left some wires and then returned to his former position." Not to mention that other objects "dropped" with the "satellite", helped to repair and then left for their destination around earth. You might say that the satellite was burned at the entrance to the atmosphere and that all those found, really are pieces of a satellite. But if this is correct, then why are the officers of the Air Force threatened witnesses to deliver all items found and said that the debris costs a fortune and why after a little stay at the research center and technology in the Greek airforce, debris transferred to NASA, and told witnesses to keep their mouths shut?

As for the letter Φ,if i'm not mistaken it was also found in the Roswell crash.Unless the Roswell crash wasn't really a weather baloon,but it was a Russian satellite as well.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

As for the letter Φ,if i'm not mistaken it was also found in the Roswell crash.Unless the Roswell crash wasn't really a weather baloon,but it was a Russian satellite as well.

if i am not mistaken the roswell board proved to be a hoax

as for the parts they were sent to nasa and never been heard of again.

wonder if there is any foia document on this incident

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by IMSAM

I didn't know about the Roswell board being a hoax,it's possible,i'll check it out.
As for the FOIA documents i haven't found anything on this particular incident.

Thanks for the input.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller

Sorry it took me that long to answer,but i had to dig all those files.Ok August 1990 there were 3 sightings reported.Unfortunatelly in the first 2 there are no exact dates.
The first reported in an area called Kamena Vourla,a coastal town near Atalanta.The report talks about a big bright UFO.
The second report comes from the island of Skiathos.A huge UFO with many colored lights.
The 3rd one happened in 17/8/1990 and it talks about a landing of a spherical UFO in Kareas,Athens.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any reports from Paros.

You can add one more sighting for around the same time frame. Unfortunately, I was late to get my camera :-(

I was walking back home, to the appartment where I use to live. I looked up in the sky, at location: Filis & Feron street in Athens, I remember it was summer, and I had seen a long, shiny cigar shape "UFO". It was flying low, no noise, and extremly slow!. I thought to myself, great! I will have enough time to run home, of which involved running across Aharnon road, to reach the corner of Didimou & Aharnon, get up to the apartment, get my camera and get to the "taratsa"(top of the 6 story flat/ roof) since it was moving so slow. It took all of all at most 3 minutes, I could NOT locate it ANYWHERE in the sky! I 1st went to my balcony, to look for it, from the 5th floor at that time, nothing, so I run up the flight of stairs since the elevator only went up to the 6th, and you needed to go up one more level, but nothing...

It was a tube shape, around 8 to 12 metres wide and around 50 - 80 metres long,it was only around 100 - 150 meters above ground! Extremely shiny and a silver aluminum brightly polished color with the sun shining off it. Originally I thought it would have been a "zeppelin" style hot air balloon or something, but if it was, it would have surely NOT been that quick to disappear from the sky!

Now, back to the story about the crash. I read, and KEEP ON READING, the INCOMPLETE version, of which leaves out ONE FUNDAMENTAL DETAIL! As reported and rebunked in a news report of which had stuck in my memory, is that it is NOT possible to have been "Russian", since besides the letter "Φ", there was also the letter "Σ" of which is ONLY in the Greek alphabet, and that busted the official story! Also, for the test that was sent, the metal was deemed "NOT MADE ON EARTH", reason: The metal molecules are perfectly or near perfectly spherical, of which imply the absence of gravity, due to everything made on earth, or near orbit, is unable to avoid the gravitational field, hence the conclusion.

After a little while, everything got hushed, and if any of the reporters returned to the village, they were met with a "cold shoulder" due to threats to the residents not to talk or show anything in fear of being mistreated! It got hushed in under a few weeks.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Boy, things sure have changed since Icarus crashed in Greece.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join