It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sal the Cat summoned for jury service in the U.S. and court rules he 'must attend' Read more: htt

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It could just be a move towards equality. Next thing you know, Ants will be put on trial for vandalism

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
To be eligible for jury duty in the US you have to be a registered voter. The census has nothing to do with it.

I wonder if these people entered fake votes?

IF that is the case,these guys could be in some deep trouble and be in need of a good,qualified jury for their own court case. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
what sort of idiot puts thier cat on the cencus return ?

What kind of idiot puts a section about pets on a census form? At the end of the day, although foolish to put your pet on a census form, there was a section allowing you to list your pets. So she listed her pet, scratched off the "dog" and added "cat". Quite frankly, if the the census didn't ask for something completely irrelevant to it's purpose, the cat more than likely would never have been listed on the form.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Only in America..and by that I mean the United States only..wow

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

If he doesn't show up, he'll be in the doghouse for sure! :shk:

(I'm here all week, folks)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
come on people be mice...i mean nice

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I stepz inz to offers mine service.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f7519d2ec3c4.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 17-1-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Actually that's not a bad idea, I don't mind running up a ridiculous credit limit on my cat. Who cares if I ruin his credit? lol

GO to the bar drinks are on me,... I mean my cat.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Sweet justice if he sits on the bench on the kitty vacuuming case.
(can't help it, I was just on that thread)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

That is absolutely positively 100% false.. I am not a registered voter, yet have been called for jury duty 2 times now.

One has ZERO to do with the other.

Most states use the DMV/SOS database for Jury Duty.
edit on 1/17/2011 by Resurrectio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

To be eligible for jury duty in the US you have to be a registered voter. The census has nothing to do with it.

Or in some states a drivers license and/or state issued ID.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Or in some states a drivers license and/or state issued ID.

This is how it works in TX

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

This may be true in your local juristiction/municipality or for a Federal Jury but it is not true every where. I have never registered to vote and I have been summoned for Jury Duty in the past.

Not only do I know a number of people who are not registered to vote who are often summoned but they are convicted felons too and not elligible to vote or do jury duty.

Many of them get frustrated because they are then actually required to prove to the state that they don't have a right to participate even though a number of them actually wish they had a right to participate, or risk a penalty for either not proving that they are inelligble to participate or to participate and risk a penalty for participating when they are not legally eligible.

So it's a crazy system that here in Miami-Dade and Broward County Florida seems to revolve around local tax registers of home owners and motor vehicle owners.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well, I suppose they could set 2 saucers of milk in the jury room, 1 labelled "guilty" & the other "not guilty". Whichever the cat chooses 1st is his vote.

If I was a black male in the USA, I'd trust a whole jury of such random felines over any verdict I'd get from people. At least I'd have a 50% chance!

Here's a thing tho... How is it possible that you dont have to fully understand English to serve on a US Jury when your decision could lead to someone being executed?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Here's a thing tho... How is it possible that you dont have to fully understand English to serve on a US Jury when your decision could lead to someone being executed?

Actually it's a prerequisite you not fully understand English to serve on a Jury because if you actually understood the legal definition of many of the words employed in Legal Proceedings the proceedings as well as the prosecution would be so questioned and hindered by that, it's not likely many convictions could or would occur.

In reality the whole system has been manipulated into something it was not 'advertised' or 'meant' to be as a Jury of 12 of your peers, would actually be 12 of your peers, not the state selecting 12 people to become your peers who have never met you, know nothing about you, your overall characther, or how you think, or who you really are in life.

Of course it's much harder for the State to convince 12 of your peers, to decide you committed a crime in often what is a victimless crime, where in theory the only victim is you, and us somehow by sad extension, even though in many of those cases you aren't actually guilty of doing anything to harm yourself either.

It really is a system for profit and control where if people actually understood the legal definition of the key English and Latin words employed in the process it would not be as profitible or controlling and in fact not even possible.

The majority of people in Prison in the U.S. were really convicted in proceedings where if people actually knew English and Latin the State would have had to more honestly present it's case in this fashion...

We are gathered here to today to prosecute and profit off the defendant who stands accused of having a good time! Are we going to tolerate people having a good time in this society when the state can profit off of and control by denying people a good time, and the right to having a good time and criminalizing a good time, or are the people really going to allow people to have a good time!

It's a system whose excesses and offences are made possible by people not understanding English by imagining that they do!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
S&F This is thee most hilarious thing I think I've ever seen in my life. Only in America. God how embarrassing for us. As for this Jury Commissioner, he needs to pull his head out. I would never bring my cat. What are they going to do? Put him in jail? No treats for you? Come on folks, yes this is embarrassing for Americans but also for mankind in a whole. If we have people like this in authority who make ridiculous calls like this? I know it happens every day, but this one brings it to new heights...............(and the darwin award goes to???...........)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
well lets be real the judicial system has been using stool Pigeons for years now .
But on the other hand this could turn into a catastrophic ,The person who selected the cat is probably cationic.
But hey give him some credit hes a cat-a-pillar of his comunity.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Yes, this runs a close second to electing dead people to office.

Personally, I want my cat to be a character witness if I am ever hauled into court.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

This would be really, really funny if it weren't such and apt metaphor for bureaucracy at it's bloated, technicality encumbered, that's-the-policy worst.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join