It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sal the Cat summoned for jury service in the U.S. and court rules he 'must attend' Read more: htt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Sal the Cat summoned for jury service in the U.S. and court rules he 'must attend' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk

A pet cat has been summoned for jury duty in the U.S. - and has been told by courts he 'must attend'
Despite owner Anna Esposito's protestations that a mistake has been made, a jury commissioner has ruled that Sal must attend the court.
She wrote that Sal was 'unable to speak and understand English' - and included a letter from her vet saying that the animal was a 'domestic short-haired neutered feline'.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(v isit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Have we entered the age of lunacy? This couple for whatever reason entered their cat on the census. That info got translated to the cat being human and called up for jury service:

Husband Guy added: 'I said, Sal, what's this? I was shocked. He likes to sit on my knee and watch crime shows with me but even so he's still under qualified for jury duty if you ask me.' There are ten statutory disqualifications preventing people from serving on a jury - and Mrs Esposito said Sal was not suitable because he could not understand the language. However, jurors are 'not expected' to have a perfect command of the English language. The other exemptions did not apply because Sal was not ill, too old or a convicted felon. It is thought he accidentally ended up on the juror list when paperwork was misread at the last census. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

There obviously isn't a clause for not being human as a reason for not ding jury service. They even got a letter from their vet which is 'not good enough' so the cat has to turn up to court. Total insanity!

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
what sort of idiot puts thier cat on the cencus return ?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
To be eligible for jury duty in the US you have to be a registered voter. The census has nothing to do with it.

I wonder if these people entered fake votes?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

I just loved this post and hope he shows up for jury duty.
You never know,the cat might catch all the rats inside the
court room!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Thats not necessarily true. I registered to vote for the first time this past election. But I have gotten called for jury duty 2 or 3 times prior to registering as a voter. This year was also the first time I did the census. so I dont know how they get it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I think the courts want the people responsible for putting a false claim on their census report to be made an example of the court.

They'll get a hefty fine to cover the court costs.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
If he doesn't turn up, I wonder if he'll be done for purrrjury?

*I'll get my coat*

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I never get called for jury duty. It's probably annoying, but I don't live in a huge city and I'm qualified.
I kinda want to.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

In the article though it said there was a section on the census for dogs and they crossed it out and put cat. I've never seen a US census form but a section for dogs seems 'barking' enough! Also the owners haven't been summoned just the cat!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Only in the US of A would a cat be called up for Jury duty
edit on 17/1/2011 by BarmyBilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy

I think the courts want the people responsible for putting a false claim on their census report to be made an example of the court.

They'll get a hefty fine to cover the court costs.

She said she put him under the Pets area... That is not making a false statement, he was a pet, and a member of that household as such...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Maybe they can come in with the cat though and interpret it's intentions by translating it's mood. Most animal owners think they can do that anyway.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Here in Michigan, they used to go by the voter registration list, then they switched to people with driver's licenses. Because I was a good citizen and did jury duty, it seems like I ended up on a list because they keep calling me to county court. Then, just before I moved to a different district, they called me to federal court after getting called three times for county. I even changed my address just before I actually moved so they couldn't make me go to downtown Detroit and go through that again. The pay was crap, but I know how to play euchre real well now.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5463109b4e9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Lmao only in america...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
What...uhmm.
Up is Grey, Green is China, right is wrong, and a whole lot of other stuff that doesn't make sense.

Part of me says I'm not surprised about this. But then again it's probably easier to just take my registered cyanide capsule now and off myself before this crap gets any more ridiculous. Only in America right?

I presume the judge is on a large quantity of crack, along with the pet owners too. You know what everyone's whacked out forget about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I do know one or two people who have been more acquainted with the other side of the law who have been called up for jury service....but a cat,

edit on 17/1/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thank you this thread has made my day. Hopw ridiculous is this. Totally bonkers, whom ever summoned this cat, to sit on a Jury really need thier heads looked at. Completeley Hilarious.

What are they going to do, if the cat does not turn up for jury service?

Hold the Cat in contempt of Court and Jail the cat in the Cat Prison

edit on 17-1-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Now the cat has status, perhaps his owners should consider an AMEX, Visa and mortgage in it's name.

Just show the summons for proof of address and citizenship.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join